PDA

View Full Version : Oracle Build (3.P) Needs input and revision

rollforeigninit
2014-01-11, 02:14 PM
So for a (finally) upcoming game we're rolling out I've decided to try out an Oracle. After some soul searching & not wanting to overdo the cheese, I decided on a NG Human Oracle of Battle (I contemplated Metal but Battle fit the theme better). I decided on Neutral Good as the party already has a LG (Paladin) and CG (DSP Warlord) He's going to try & be the balance point between the 2 and try & persuade them that NG is the way to go morality wise. I know Oradin is a thing but I'm just not into playing a LG character again and this way I can keep my CL maxed out.

So in our campaigns we roll our stats but only once for the whole party who then gets to arrange the stats as they see fit. I volunteered & did REALLY REALLY well. (Roll 4d6 drop the lowest 7 times & drop the lowest roll as well.) (15, 5, 17, 12, 14, 17, 14) We decided to drop the 5. All party members get the same stats to work with. (my wife tends to roll stats very poorly so we all are on an even footing this way).

A couple house rules that make the build make sense.
1.2 Weapon Fighting grants the whole tree.
2.We use weapon groups when picking feats. (Weapon Focus applies to all Heavy Blades etc)
3.Double Slice also allows use of an One-handed off hand weapon at no further penalty. (ala Powerful 2 Weapon Fighting in 3.5)
4.You get one attack with each HELD weapon as an attack standard action.
5.Max Hit points for everything all the time. No rolling for HP.
6.2 traits picked at 1st level.

Backstory
So this guy was born to an unusual pair in a coastal town. Dad was a merchant sailor captain and mo was (secretly) the head of the local thieves guild. My character (Relphas Naxx) WAS going to be a Pally but it just didn't work out. So instead, he was sent off to apprentice to a Dwarven Runesmith at age 12. Long story short, he got adopted into the Dwarven clan and was eventually trained as a seer when that talent manifested iteslf (late) at age 17. His Deity (Named EL (this is a homebrew setting in case anyone wonders) visited Relphas to send him back to the Empire to weed out the corruption in the Capital. I see this guy as a NG version of a Paladin. He's interested in doing the right thing though not so much maintaining order. In his opinion, laws hurt as often as they help and, on the other hand, flaunting them does the same. He is taking the Haunted curse which is actually his fear partially removed from himself in a ceremony where he failed hi last paladinhood test.

So now that I've bored the life out of everyone (kinda excited to start) I'd like some input as to where to head with this guy. I've included a theoretical feat & revelation build but it's wide open, really.

Oracle 1 Combat Reflexes Skill at Arms
Oracle 2
Oracle 3 Power Attack Maneuver Mastery- Trip
Oracle 4
Oracle 5 Two Weapon Fighting
Oracle 6
Oracle 7 Improved Buckler Defense Weapon Mastery- Dwarven
Oracle 8
Oracle 9 Craft Magic Arms & Armor
Oracle 10
Oracle 11 Extra Rev.- Mmaster Dirty Trick War Sight
Oracle 12
Oracle 13 Quicken Spell
Oracle 14
Oracle 15 Craft Wondrous Item Battlefield Clarity
Oracle 16
Oracle 17 Reach Spell
Oracle 18
Oracle 19 Dazing Assault Surprising Charge
Oracle 20

I'm working on my spell selection but there are a LOT of options ( I just thought feats were tough).
Any suggestions are welcome on that front.

Spore
2014-01-11, 02:25 PM
Why the TWFing? You don't seem to be creating a great TWF character and rather a combat maneuver monkey. You lack Shield Bash and other critical feats to really reap use out of shield attacks. You basically debuff your attack for a minor damage increase.

You already have your spells, you have your maneuvers and your great defense AC-wise. Don't spread yourself too thin because you want mad damage (the class you'd be using for that would be Inquisitor anyway, TWFing gives double Bane, double the Judgments).

Also you lack your Human Talent, as I have seen it.

rollforeigninit
2014-01-11, 02:31 PM
Human talent is adopted-Dwarf. Grants Dwarven Language & Auto Proficient in all Dwarven Weapons if you have Martial Weapon Proficiency.

The 2 Weapon Fighting is debatable. I'd be using the Dwarven Buckler Axe and Dwarven Warpike. I do take a -to hit & it might not be worth trying. Buckler Axe is for Close in Fighting with my Dwarven Waraxe if things get too close in with my Warpike. It's one of the big things I wanted to get input on.

Pex
2014-01-11, 02:46 PM
Power Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting do not work well together. Both penalties to hit stack on top of your character not being a full BAB class. You will miss quite often as the combat rolls develop and you'll constantly need to buff yourself with spells just to try to break even.

You're better off going the Power Attack route with a two-handed weapon. Take Furious Focus feat so that your first attack in a round takes no Power Attack penalty or your only attack as a standard action because you need to move. The occasional self buff spell is still nice.

You will want the 2nd level spell Grace to avoid attacks of opportunity for moving through threatened areas. You will have a lot of flexibility to move about the battlefield.

At 8th level take Blessing of Fervor over Divine Power. Everyone, including you, benefits. The only thing you really lose out of not casting Divine Power is the temporary hit points. However, the benefits of Blessing of Fervor far outweigh that. Your party will love you.

rollforeigninit
2014-01-11, 03:30 PM
So more like this would be better?
Oracle 1 Combat Reflexes Skill at Arms
Oracle 2
Oracle 3 Power Attack Maneuver Mastery- Trip
Oracle 4
Oracle 5 Furious Focus
Oracle 6
Oracle 7 Deft Oppourtunist,Weapon Mastery- Dwarven
Oracle 8
Oracle 9 Craft Magic Arms & Armor