PDA

View Full Version : Ability damage and penalties

Jopacr
2014-01-11, 02:36 PM
As per Ray of Enfeeblement, ability penalties cannot reduce a score to 0. Ability damage however, can.

My question is when they stack, can the combined effect reduce the score to 0? Ie. Apply penalties first, then do damage, and the damage reduces to 0?

Deaxsa
2014-01-11, 02:41 PM
Where does it say that? I think it's just that spell that can't reduce it below 1.

Jopacr
2014-01-11, 02:45 PM
Ray of Enfeeblement as well as Touch of Idiocy both state their penalties cannot reduce a score below 1.

Actually the tactic in question is first causing exhaustion, which is a -6 penalty to str and dex, and then doing ability damage to dex.

Can the damage reduce dex to 0 while the penalty is in play?

Khedrac
2014-01-11, 05:42 PM
Since the penalty is an ongoing condition, while the damage is an instantaneous effect, the damage should be applied first regardless of the order of imposition.

Start with an ability of 10:
Ability = 10, effective ability = 10
Receive a penalty of 6:
Ability = 10, effective ability = 4
The take 4 ability damage:
Ability = 6, effective ability = * - either 1 or 0 depending on the wording of the penalty source (i.e. does it state that it cannot reduce it to 0).

Ignominia
2014-01-11, 06:30 PM
Taking ability damage right out of the equation... Would exhaustion or fatigue allow for strength or dex to drop to 0?

Say, for sake of argument, a creature starts with a 6 dex. Then becomes exhausted. Does it suffer as if it has a 0 dex until the exhausted condition goes away? Or would it reduce it to a min of 1?

Also, if anyone has an official answer for this, please site source...

Lord Vukodlak
2014-01-11, 07:07 PM
Taking ability damage right out of the equation... Would exhaustion or fatigue allow for strength or dex to drop to 0?

Yes because those conditions don't state the limitation of 1.