PDA

View Full Version : Disenchanting/Re-enchanting magic weapons

Morphie
2014-01-11, 03:21 PM
Hi guys,
So, our group recently found a +2 unholy dagger that has a curse associated to it - it only works if the wielder uses it completely naked. Because the party is mostly good (only one neutral PC), we don't want to sell it. But it got me thinking: Is there a way to disenchant the weapon, remove that curse and reenchant it to a new weapon enchantment?
32.302 gp - or even half of that - is a lot of money to just throw away...

Tips or links to any published material about this would be greatly appreciated.

sideswipe
2014-01-11, 03:23 PM
spell that came to mind if you are high enough level is mordenkainen's disjunction. does that not return it to being just a mundane item?

Urpriest
2014-01-11, 03:29 PM
There are plenty of ways to remove all the properties. I can't think of a way to do it selectively though.

Osiris
2014-01-11, 03:46 PM
Hi guys,
So, our group recently found a +2 unholy dagger that has a curse associated to it - it only works if the wielder uses it completely naked. Because the party is mostly good (only one neutral PC), we don't want to sell it. But it got me thinking: Is there a way to disenchant the weapon, remove that curse and reenchant it to a new weapon enchantment?
So the good guys want to hold on to an UNHOLY dagger, functioning if NAKED. What? I think you should just sell it.

Or, even better, have the neutral person trade it off to some evil naked guy, and make off with the full, but haggled, profit.

rollforeigninit
2014-01-11, 03:47 PM
I'd guess they don't want to give baddies any tools to use. Protect the innocent kinda thing.

Morphie
2014-01-11, 04:03 PM
So the good guys want to hold on to an UNHOLY dagger, functioning if NAKED. What? I think you should just sell it.

Or, even better, have the neutral person trade it off to some evil naked guy, and make off with the full, but haggled, profit.

That's exactly what we want to do, but some of the guys in the party don't want to give anyone the chance of using the item for evil purposes. Selling a +4 weapon would give us some money to buy magic goodies, so that's why I created this thread :smallwink:

The disjunction spell would just turn it to a mundane item, so it would be cheaper to just destroy the item, but thanks for the tip anyway, sideswipe :smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2014-01-11, 04:06 PM
Hi guys,
32.302 gp - or even half of that - is a lot of money to just throw away...

Tips or links to any published material about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks :smallsmile:The Eberron Artificer eventually picks up a class feature called Retain Essence that lets the Artificer destroy a magic item, and harvest the XP used in it's creation for the Artificer's Craft Reserve (you still lose the gold invested, though).

The Ancestral Relic feat (Book of Exalted Deeds) lets you sacrifice stuff to improve your ancestral relic, with full efficiency.

Neither is OGL, to my knowledge, so no links, sorry.

However: If using the dagger requires discarding all equipment... well, it's not a bad thing to hand off to an evil person, as that is a pretty serious debuff.

Alefiend
2014-01-11, 05:03 PM
The roleplaying solution is to give it to a good-aligned temple to keep it out of the hands of people who can use it. Said temple rewards you with some items from their armories, or offers free spellcasting/item creation up to the value of the dagger. This is a somewhat more reasonable solution than the way these games assume everything is a cash transaction.

Another idea builds upon your idea of selling the dagger to naked evil people and then killing them to get your money back. Use the dagger as bait—an adventure hook for evil characters—to lure them in and slay them, taking their possessions afterward. This is not particularly nice, and might go against some people's concept of what Good is, but it's a solution. Cast some sort of tracking spell on the weapon so that if it gets out of your possession, you can track it down again.