PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a setting

MonkeySage
2014-01-11, 03:33 PM
I once played a game set in a medieval fantasy world, and have only recently found a system that could run this particular setting... the campaign I had in mind however is about the events that happened 11000 years prior to the events of that game I played. The campaign is about the war between the utterly non magical humans, and the beings that have enslaved them for over a thousand years. these beings are a race of technologically and magically advanced winged humanoids.
So I'm wondering what sort of weapons the humans have access to, since they do have a human emperor of their own(even if up till now he's been a tool for their masters). the question is if they should have access to at least bronze age weaponry and if so for how long might they have had it?
Apologies also if this has poor grammar; I'm currently using my phone to type it.

Yora
2014-01-11, 03:52 PM
This is really hard to say. We have a technologically vastly superior foe who has the humans work for them, and are also dealing with massive spans of times.
Given what you have stated so far, you could give the humans pretty much everything you want to.

But generally speaking, if the humans manufacture something for their overlords at a considerable scale, they would also be able to make it for their own troops if they can get the raw materials. If the overlords had the humans make iron weapons and armor at a large scale, there would most likely be humans who understand the metalurgy and how to use the equipment to run a manufacturing site by themselves.
But if the masters kept such technology far away from the slaves, than those would have to make do with much less complex technologies, in which case bronze would be much more likely, as it can be done pretty much in your backyard.

Probably the most important questions are what type of thechnology the overlords have and in what kind of servitude the humans are living.
As a side note, the humans might have their own spokespeople and representative, but they shouldn't be called emperors. Slave masters would make very sure that the slaves always know who is the master.

MonkeySage
2014-01-11, 04:15 PM
A lot of their technology is magitek; transport panels as public transport(mostly used by human slaves, since their masters can both fly and blink short distances). they don't have or need guns(their innate powers make guns redundant), but they do have swords and the like. They have also engineered living weapons that resemble monsters. I was thinking that at the very least humans may have gained knowledge of basic smithing techniques.
Perhaps the representative only started calling himself emperor after starting his revolt.