PDA

View Full Version : improving CL of magic items

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-11, 03:59 PM
having an issue right now in a game I recently started that I would really like the playgrounds opinion on:

the rules being used in this issue are the "adding new abilities" section of the dmg page 288.

The issue is multiple clashing opinions on if these rules allow increasing the cl of magic items after the item has been made.

any thoughts?

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-11, 11:49 PM
anyone have anything to say that might help?

bekeleven
2014-01-12, 03:43 AM
Given the "you can add abilities to items without restriction" thing, I would rule that assuming you met all prerequisites, you could just pay the difference (in money, xp and time, rounded up).

I'm not sure it falls under the RAW, but it definitely falls under the sentiment.

Andezzar
2014-01-12, 10:30 AM
You can add new abilities but you cannot modify existing abilities. So you would end up with an item that has one instance of the ability at the old CL and one at the new CL.

Are you trying to achieve something specific?

Don't forget if you want to change the CL of an item that item is a custom item and thus is at the whim of the DM.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-12, 10:57 AM
You can add new abilities but you cannot modify existing abilities. So you would end up with an item that has one instance of the ability at the old CL and one at the new CL.

Are you trying to achieve something specific?

Don't forget if you want to change the CL of an item that item is a custom item and thus is at the whim of the DM.

in this campain, I'm seeing how the character's react to the guidelines effectively being a rule for crafting but not for selling. The players brought this up.

Andezzar
2014-01-12, 12:19 PM
in this campain, I'm seeing how the character's react to the guidelines effectively being a rule for crafting but not for selling. The players brought this up.At least by RAW, if you know how to craft an item you know its selling price. The selling price is based on the base price, which in turn determines the material cost and the crafting time.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-12, 02:26 PM
At least by RAW, if you know how to craft an item you know its selling price. The selling price is based on the base price, which in turn determines the material cost and the crafting time.

the "this" I was referring to was the problem in the first post.
also, I know the rules for crafting well.