PDA

View Full Version : Good level dips for Warlock.

Gamereaper
2014-01-11, 04:40 PM
I'm looking for a Warlock prestige class level dip. Wha would the best prestige class be for 1 level.

I can't use anything else in my build or else it screws my build up pretty bad.

Kaje
2014-01-11, 04:43 PM
mindbender

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-11, 04:49 PM
What's your focus as a warlock? Are you a melee glaivelock? Clawlock? ...something else? It would help if we knew the aims of your build.

Gamereaper
2014-01-11, 05:36 PM
What's your focus as a warlock? Are you a melee glaivelock? Clawlock? ...something else? It would help if we knew the aims of your build.

I just cast and stuff, no glaives/claws/whatever. I just use invocations.

mindbender

I can't use it, it's an Arcane class.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-11, 05:46 PM
I always liked picking up sneak attack on Warlocks. A dip in Rogue or Sneak Attack Fighter can achieve this, and Rogue nets you a bunch of skill points that might prove useful.

A few levels in cleric or sorcerer/wizard can get one into Eldritch Disciple or Eldritch Theurge, respectively. These are pretty descent options for theurging, and add useful options to the normally small list of warlock utility choices. Both of these PrCs are from Complete Mage.

Finally, I will beat Tippy to the punch and suggest Martial Monk 2. It gets access to some very powerful Fighter Feats (a couple of which might dovetail well with Eldritch Blast), with a favorable DM ruling/strict RAW adherence, all good saves, a decent number of skill points, and a couple other abilities that are quite useful. Finally, Invisible Fist ACF can also be quite useful, and can be better than the warlock invisibility invocation if used carefully.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-11, 05:48 PM
I can't use it, it's an Arcane class.

Both Warlock and Mindbender are arcane classes, Mindbender's prerequisites even make a special allowance for Warlocks to qualify. Check the section on Warlocks and Prestige Classes on page 18 of Complete Arcane.

Gamereaper
2014-01-11, 05:56 PM
I always liked picking up sneak attack on Warlocks. A dip in Rogue or Sneak Attack Fighter can achieve this, and Rogue nets you a bunch of skill points that might prove useful.

A few levels in cleric or sorcerer/wizard can get one into Eldritch Disciple or Eldritch Theurge, respectively. These are pretty descent options for theurging, and add useful options to the normally small list of warlock utility choices. Both of these PrCs are from Complete Mage.

Finally, I will beat Tippy to the punch and suggest Martial Monk 2. It gets access to some very powerful Fighter Feats (a couple of which might dovetail well with Eldritch Blast), with a favorable DM ruling/strict RAW adherence, all good saves, a decent number of skill points, and a couple other abilities that are quite useful. Finally, Invisible Fist ACF can also be quite useful, and can be better than the warlock invisibility invocation if used carefully.

That doesn't help me because I need to raise the CL of mt Warlock, which Rogue doesn't

Please see the original post where I am asking for something very specific, which is a class that increases an Invocation class.

Urpriest
2014-01-11, 06:01 PM
I'll second Mindbender. It's a great one level dip for a Warlock, and as anyone who has bothered reading the class knows it is designed to be easy for Warlocks to enter. If you've got a free feat, grab the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness, and enjoy.

Red Fel
2014-01-11, 06:19 PM
If you plan to go into the Hellfire Warlock PrC, Binder with the Naberius vestige is your friend.

Even if you don't, the Naberius vestige is pretty darn useful, and Binder has great fluff, and happens to fit nicely with Warlock generally.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-11, 06:35 PM
That doesn't help me because I need to raise the CL of mt Warlock, which Rogue doesn't

Please see the original post where I am asking for something very specific, which is a class that increases an Invocation class.

Any class that can increase arcane spellcasting can be applied to Warlock, and it will increase your invocations, eldritch blast, and caster level just like another Warlock level.

Mindbender is superb for a single level.

Ruathar in Races of the Wild is a good choice for any caster.

Paragnostic Apostle in Complete Champion can also be useful, as it has quite a few special abilities to choose from.

Gamereaper
2014-01-11, 06:46 PM
I'll second Mindbender. It's a great one level dip for a Warlock, and as anyone who has bothered reading the class knows it is designed to be easy for Warlocks to enter. If you've got a free feat, grab the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness, and enjoy.

The problem is that it doesn't increase Warlock CL.

It says "+1 to Arcane spellcasting class".

Not "+1 to Invocation casting class."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-11, 06:49 PM
The problem is that it doesn't increase Warlock CL.

It says "+1 to Arcane spellcasting class".

Not "+1 to Invocation casting class."

I've said it twice now, that's the same thing! Open Complete Arcane (the book that both of those classes are in) and turn to page 18. There's a section labeled Warlocks and Prestige Classes that specifically explains this.

Gamereaper
2014-01-11, 07:27 PM
I've said it twice now, that's the same thing! Open Complete Arcane (the book that both of those classes are in) and turn to page 18. There's a section labeled Warlocks and Prestige Classes that specifically explains this.

Oh ok, I didn't notice.

So does that mean an Eldritch Theurge increases your level by 2 in that ruling if you somehow had access to a 2nd level wizard spell?