PDA

View Full Version : Punch them with wands! (3.5 PrC PEACH)

anacalgion
2014-01-11, 06:13 PM
Forward: Artificer and monk are both classes I like quite a bit. I thought I'd take some inspiration from the artificer to help boost the monk. This class is intended to be a serious jump in power for a monk, hopefully upgrading them to T3.

The Wandstriker Adept
http://i39.tinypic.com/211oxnl.jpg

Credit to Blizzard and whoever drew this for them. It's from Diablo III.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus +4
Use Magic Device 3 ranks
Flurry of Blows class feature
Optional: Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk

Alignment: Any Lawful
Hit Die: d8
The Wandstriker Adept
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+2|+2|+2| Wand Gauntlets, Wandsmith, Ascetic Tinker

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3| Bonus Feat

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Improved Wand Gauntlets (1)

4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Metamagic Wand Gauntlets

5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Resocket (Full Round), Bonus Feat

6th|+4|+5|+5|+5| Improved Wand Gauntlets (2)

7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|Resocket (Standard)

8th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Greater Wand Gauntlets

9th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Resocket (Move)

10th|+7|+7|+7|+7|Unyielding Wandstrike Assault

[/table]
Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

Proficiencies: The Wandstriker Adept gains no weapon or armor proficiencies (but see Wand Gauntlets).

Wand Gauntlets (Ex)
Wand Gauntlets are the signature feature of the Wandstriker Adept class. Upon taking their first level of Wandstriker Adept (Henceforth the Adept), the Adept must spend one day to craft a pair of wand gauntlets. This does not require any special materials or a gold cost. These gauntlets have several effects.

First and foremost, they are specially constructed so as to not interfere with the Adept's unarmed abilities. While wearing wand gauntlets, the Adept is still treated as unarmed for the purpose of all feats, class features, and so on, and may deal their full unarmed damage with their fists. The gauntlets may each hold a single wand at a time. While a gauntlet holds a wand, the Adept gains an enhancement bonus on unarmed attack and damage rolls made with their fists equal to 1/10 the wand's remaining charges, rounded up.

Lastly, starting at first level, the Adept gains the ability to make a wandstrike as a standard action. The Adept must declare they are making a wandstrike before using this class feature. The Adept then makes a single unarmed attack with an arm that has a wand gauntlet on it. If this attack hits the touch AC of the Adept's target, then the wand stored in the wand gauntlet produces the spell that it is a wand of, just as if it had been used. The spell must target the creature that was struck, if it has a target. If the spell can affect multiple targets, then the creature that was hit must be among those targets.

An Adept may change the wand in a wand gauntlet, but the removal process is complex, and takes one minute. A wand in a wand gauntlet may also be used normally, as if it was being held.

Wandsmith (Su)
Starting at 1st level, a Wandstriker Adept can create a wand even if he does not have access to the spells that are prerequisites for the item. The Adept must make a successful Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item. Thus, to make a 1st-level wand of magic missile, an adept would need a Use Magic Device check result of 21 or higher.'

The Adept must make a successful check for each prerequisite for each item he makes. If he fails a check, he can try again each day until the item is complete (see Creating Magic Items, page 282 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If he comes to the end of the crafting time and he has still not successfully emulated one of the powers, he can make one final check—his last-ditch effort, even if he has already made a check that day. If that check also fails, then the creation process fails and the time
and money expended to craft the item are lost.

The Adept does not need to pay XP costs for crafting wands, except when crafting a wand of a spell which has an XP cost, in which case they must pay the cost for the spell as normal. In addition, the wands that the Adept can craft are limited. If the Adept enters the class without the Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk feats, they may only craft wands of spells that appear on the cleric spell list. If the Adept does posses one of the two feats listed, then they may only craft spells that appear on the wizard spell list. Finally, an Adept may not craft a wand of a spell that is a higher level than their Wandstriker Adept level. For example, a monk 6/wandstriker adept 1 could not craft a wand of fireball, but a monk 6/wandstriker adept 3 could. Wands are crafted at a caster level of the Adept's choice, up to their Wandsmith Adept level (but see Ascetic Tinker). The DC of any spell produced by a wand crafted in this manner is equal to 10 + spell level + Wis modifier (or Int modifier if the Adept crafts arcane wands).

Ascetic Tinker (Ex)
Levels in Wandstriker Adept stack with levels in monk to determine a character's unarmed damage, unarmed AC bonus, flurry of blows, and speed, and levels in monk stack with levels in Wandstriker Adept to determine the highest caster level of a wand they can craft. In addition, a character who takes a level in Wandstriker Adept always has Use Magic Device as a class skill. This benefit is also retroactively applied, increasing any crossclass ranks in Use Magic Device to full ranks. Lastly, the Adept never has to make UMD checks for a wand they craft.

Bonus Feat
A Wandstriker Adept gains a bonus feat at levels 2, 5, and 8. They must meet the prerequisites for these bonus feats, and the feats must be either Combat or Metamagic feats.

Improved Wand Gauntlets (Ex)
Starting at 3rd level, the Adept no longer needs to spend a standard action to activate their wand gauntlets. Instead, they may declare one attack per round (before rolling) to be a wandstrike. They still may not make a wandstrike more than once per round. Starting at 6th level, they may make one wandstrike with each wand gauntlet per round. Otherwise this functions as Wand Gauntlets.

Metamagic Wand Gauntlets (Su)
When making a wandstrike, the Adept may spend additional charges from the wand to apply a metamagic feat they know to the wand's effect. They must spend additional charges equal to the increase the metamagic feat would apply to a spell's level. Only one feat may be applied in this way at a time.

Resocket (Ex)
Starting at 5th level, the Adept gains the ability to change the wand in a wand gauntlet more quickly. The action type required to replace one wand with another is indicated on the table.

Greater Wand Gauntlets (Su)
Starting at 8th level, when making a wandstrike, if the Adept hits with the unarmed attack and the wand's effect requires a saving throw, the primary target (the one hit by the unarmed attack) takes a penalty on its saving throw equal to the Adept's Wisdom modifier (if they can craft cleric wands) or Intelligence modifier (if they can craft wizard wands).

Unyielding Wandstrike Assault (Ex)
At 10th level, the Adept has reached the peak of their wandstriking abilities. They are no longer limited to one use of their wand gauntlets per round.

Well, there you have it. Also, I can never keep (Ex), (Su), and whatever else there is straight in my head, so if someone wants to tell me what to put where that'd be great. Lastly, I have replicated Kung Fu Genius here, for your convenience.

Kung Fu Genius
Some styles of martial arts require the student to memorize advanced medical texts and anatomical charts. These styles favor the intellectual over the introspective.
Prerequisite: Int 13, must be gained at or before the first level of the monk class is taken.
Benefit: You use your Intelligence modifier rather than Wisdom for all monk special abilities that normally rely on Wisdom.

anacalgion
2014-01-13, 04:11 PM
Shameless self bump.

Platinum Piece
2014-01-13, 06:37 PM
Seems fun and not overly powerful.

I would definitely allow it in one of my games.

It also makes me want to make a character with this class and only use wands with Cone based effects to mimic Vi from League of Legends.

Veklim
2014-01-13, 07:48 PM
hrm, with regards to the Ex, Su, SpL, I'd label them as following:

Wand Gauntlets (Ex)
Wandsmith (Su)
Ascetic Tinker (Ex)
Metamagic Gauntlets (Su)
Resocket (Ex)
Unyeilding Wandstrike Assault (Ex)

Class looks interesting, question being how does this interact with the Wandstrike feats..?

anacalgion
2014-01-13, 08:24 PM
hrm, with regards to the Ex, Su, SpL, I'd label them as following:

Wand Gauntlets (Ex)
Wandsmith (Su)
Ascetic Tinker (Ex)
Metamagic Gauntlets (Su)
Resocket (Ex)
Unyeilding Wandstrike Assault (Ex)

Class looks interesting, question being how does this interact with the Wandstrike feats..?

Thanks! Have a cookie. As for the wandstrike feat (pretty sure there's only one), there isn't really an interaction, besides that they have the same name (which is annoying. Probably could have planned that better). The feat works the way it does, and the class works similarly, but with a few key differences. You can think of the feat as a Wandstriker Adept-lite if you want.

Veklim
2014-01-13, 08:36 PM
Thanks! Have a cookie.Huzzah! :smallbiggrin:

As for the wandstrike feat (pretty sure there's only one), there isn't really an interaction, besides that they have the same name (which is annoying. Probably could have planned that better).Just checked it out, yeah only the one feat, thought it had a couple of others but no, just a build I made for an NPC which used a bunch of the wand stuff from Complete Arcane including Wandstrike.

Class looks pretty robust, couple of things I noticed but I'll post them up later, bed now, work tomorrow... o_O

Veklim
2014-01-14, 10:15 AM
Right then, couple of questions...

Firstly, the enhancement bonus to attack and damage from remaining charges in the wand....which wand? You have one in each gauntlet, so should you take an average between the two, is it the higher or lower amount, how does this work?

Secondly, I'm wondering on your reasons for removing the XP cost of creating wands, you're essentially giving these guys free access to cantrips through to 3rd level spells with no cost at all except the time to make the wands....I don't think this is a good idea in honesty. I'd say it would be a far better idea to use a Craft Reserve a la Artificer for use solely on wand crafting, and allow them to spend their own XP beyond that reserve, you at least limit it that way, and stop a character from spending a month arming the group to the teeth for free.

Suggested edit here in bold:
When making a wandstrike, the Adept may spend additional charges from the wand to apply a metamagic feat you know to the wand's effect. Only one feat may be applied in this way at a time.

Also consider rewording Unyielding Wandstrike Assault to state more simply that 'You may make a Wandstrike with every attack you make.' Also covers attacks of opportunity now, which seems reasonable to me. Might even be worth giving them the ability to wandstrike with an AoO as a separate ability earlier in the class too.

Otherwise cool, I'll let you know if I spot anything else :smallwink:

anacalgion
2014-01-14, 10:52 AM
Right then, couple of questions...

Firstly, the enhancement bonus to attack and damage from remaining charges in the wand....which wand? You have one in each gauntlet, so should you take an average between the two, is it the higher or lower amount, how does this work?

Ideally it's based on which ever fist you end up using, but I'm worried that's just getting needlessly complicated. I may come back and change that.

Secondly, I'm wondering on your reasons for removing the XP cost of creating wands, you're essentially giving these guys free access to cantrips through to 3rd level spells with no cost at all except the time to make the wands....I don't think this is a good idea in honesty. I'd say it would be a far better idea to use a Craft Reserve a la Artificer for use solely on wand crafting, and allow them to spend their own XP beyond that reserve, you at least limit it that way, and stop a character from spending a month arming the group to the teeth for free.

Mostly because I'm lazy and don't like XP costs. Yeah, I'll probably switch it to a craft reserve or something like it as soon as I get to a computer.

Suggested edit here in bold:
When making a wandstrike, the Adept may spend additional charges from the wand to apply a metamagic feat you know to the wand's effect. Only one feat may be applied in this way at a time.

That... was a test. To see if you were paying attention. Right. You pass. Whoops.

Also consider rewording Unyielding Wandstrike Assault to state more simply that 'You may make a Wandstrike with every attack you make.' Also covers attacks of opportunity now, which seems reasonable to me. Might even be worth giving them the ability to wandstrike with an AoO as a separate ability earlier in the class too.

I was under the impression that AoOs are included in "attacks in a round", which would qualify them for Improved Wand Gauntlets. Meaning that UWA would let you zap people on every attack, including AoOs. Am I going crazy or does that work?

Otherwise cool, I'll let you know if I spot anything else :smallwink:

Thanks! And hey, let me know if you ever want me to PEACH something for you.

Veklim
2014-01-14, 02:27 PM
Ok, 2 last little nitpicks and I'm done! :smalltongue:

You give them bonus metamagic feats, but you don't give them any way of qualifying for said feats, since they have no caster level per se. Probably an idea to give them an effective caster level equal to their class level for this purpose...

Also, they only gain a second Wandstrike at 8th level, and then 2 levels later they get as many as they have attacks...Probably an idea to switch the second ability of Improved Wand Gauntlets with Greater Wand Gauntlets, so you get a 2nd Wandstrike at 6th and the improved DC at 8th, just a scaling issue really but it would give the class a slightly smoother power curve.

Re-read the Wandstrike stuff too, and yeah, misread the first time, there's no issue with AoO

That's it though, can't find much else of anything worth mentioning...sweet PrC dudeski! :smallbiggrin:

Durazno
2014-01-14, 03:36 PM
If you don't want to have an xp cost, would it make sense to instate a gp cost for crafting wands?

anacalgion
2014-01-14, 03:43 PM
You give them bonus metamagic feats, but you don't give them any way of qualifying for said feats, since they have no caster level per se. Probably an idea to give them an effective caster level equal to their class level for this purpose...

Last I checked there is no caster level requirement on metamagic feats. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it works.

Also, they only gain a second Wandstrike at 8th level, and then 2 levels later they get as many as they have attacks...Probably an idea to switch the second ability of Improved Wand Gauntlets with Greater Wand Gauntlets, so you get a 2nd Wandstrike at 6th and the improved DC at 8th, just a scaling issue really but it would give the class a slightly smoother power curve.

Good idea. I'll get to that when I have the chance. Thanks.

If you don't want to have an xp cost, would it make sense to instate a gp cost for crafting wands?

There is a gp cost, same as if a caster made. I copied the text for wandsmith directly from the artificer with a few small changes, so RAW it should hold up.

Veklim
2014-01-14, 04:08 PM
Last I checked there is no caster level requirement on metamagic feats. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it works. Heh....oh yeah, why on earth did I have it in my head that there was a CL requirement....? Just not played a spellcaster for too long obviously!

There is a gp cost, same as if a caster made. I copied the text for wandsmith directly from the artificer with a few small changes, so RAW it should hold up.Holds up fine, there is still a GP cost yes. The only obvious thing you changed was the removal of XP costs, so yeah, it's ok.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-01-22, 09:25 PM
In return for PEACHing my Void Scriptor, which I appreciate by the way, I'll take a gander at this here PrC.

Forward: Artificer and monk are both classes I like quite a bit. I thought I'd take some inspiration from the artificer to help boost the monk. This class is intended to be a serious jump in power for a monk, hopefully upgrading them to T3.

'Bout time :smallbiggrin:

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus +4
Use Magic Device 3 ranks
Flurry of Blows class feature
Optional: Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk

Alignment: Any Lawful
Hit Die: d8
The Wandstriker Adept
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+2|+2|+2| Wand Gauntlets, Wandsmith, Ascetic Tinker

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3| Bonus Feat

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Improved Wand Gauntlets (1)

4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Metamagic Wand Gauntlets

5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Resocket (Full Round), Bonus Feat

6th|+4|+5|+5|+5| Improved Wand Gauntlets (2)

7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|Resocket (Standard)

8th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Bonus Feat, Greater Wand Gauntlets

9th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Resocket (Move)

10th|+7|+7|+7|+7|Unyielding Wandstrike Assault

[/table]
looks fine.

Class Skills:

Class Features

Proficiencies: The Wandstriker Adept gains no weapon or armor proficiencies (but see Wand Gauntlets).

Wand Gauntlets (Ex)
Wand Gauntlets are the signature feature of the Wandstriker Adept class. Upon taking their first level of Wandstriker Adept (Henceforth the Adept), the Adept must spend one day to craft a pair of wand gauntlets. This does not require any special materials or a gold cost. These gauntlets have several effects.

First and foremost, they are specially constructed so as to not interfere with the Adept's unarmed abilities. While wearing wand gauntlets, the Adept is still treated as unarmed for the purpose of all feats, class features, and so on, and may deal their full unarmed damage with their fists. The gauntlets may each hold a single wand at a time. While a gauntlet holds a wand, the Adept gains an enhancement bonus on unarmed attack and damage rolls made with their fists equal to 1/5 the wand's remaining charges, rounded up.

Lastly, starting at first level, the Adept gains the ability to make a wandstrike as a standard action. The Adept must declare they are making a wandstrike before using this class feature. The Adept then makes a single unarmed attack with an arm that has a wand gauntlet on it. If this attack hits the touch AC of the Adept's target, then the wand stored in the wand gauntlet produces the spell that it is a wand of, just as if it had been used. The spell must target the creature that was struck, if it has a target. If the spell can affect multiple targets, then the creature that was hit must be among those targets.

An Adept may change the wand in a wand gauntlet, but the removal process is complex, and takes one minute. A wand in a wand gauntlet may also be used normally, as if it was being held.

Seems awesome ... Just some formatting, it says "makes an unarmed attack against the creature's touch AC". I would just say, makes a touch attack. However, "A newly created wand has 50 charges" (PH1), that's a +10 enhancement bonus to attack and damage. May want to change the bonus to 1/10 the charges remaining rounded up.

Also, if the wand has magic missile, does the Wandstriker have to be in melee range to use the wands? That's not clear, unless that's what you meant by unarmed attack. Also, if they have to be in melee, that means wands of fireball are out of the question, which is fine, there's always lightning bolt.

Wandsmith (Su)
Starting at 1st level, a Wandstriker Adept can create a wand even if he does not have access to the spells that are prerequisites for the item. The Adept must make a successful Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item. Thus, to make a 1st-level wand of magic missile, an adept would need a Use Magic Device check result of 21 or higher.'

The Adept must make a successful check for each prerequisite for each item he makes. If he fails a check, he can try again each day until the item is complete (see Creating Magic Items, page 282 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If he comes to the end of the crafting time and he has still not successfully emulated one of the powers, he can make one final check—his last-ditch effort, even if he has already made a check that day. If that check also fails, then the creation process fails and the time
and money expended to craft the item are lost.

The Adept does not need to pay XP costs for crafting wands, except when crafting a wand of a spell which has an XP cost, in which case they must pay the cost for the spell as normal. In addition, the wands that the Adept can craft are limited. If the Adept enters the class without the Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk feats, they may only craft wands of spells that appear on the cleric spell list. If the Adept does posses one of the two feats listed, then they may only craft spells that appear on the wizard spell list. Finally, an Adept may not craft a wand of a spell that is a higher level than their Wandstriker Adept level. For example, a monk 6/wandstriker adept 1 could not craft a wand of fireball, but a monk 6/wandstriker adept 3 could.

Add something that indicates what caster level the wands are made at. Either state that all wands are created at (minimum caster level) or the (Wandstriker's class levels).

Ascetic Tinker (Ex)
Levels in Wandstriker Adept stack with levels in monk to determine a character's unarmed damage, unarmed AC bonus, flurry of blows, and speed. In addition, a character who takes a level in Wandstriker Adept always has Use Magic Device as a class skill. This benefit is also retroactively applied, increasing any crossclass ranks in Use Magic Device to full ranks. Lastly, the Adept never has to make UMD checks for a wand they craft

Wouldn't be a monk PrC without this ... well it would, but I mean ... well you know what I mean ...

Starting at 3rd level, the Adept no longer needs to spend a standard action to activate their wand gauntlets. Instead, they may declare one attack per round (before rolling) to be a wandstrike. They still may not make a wandstrike more than once per round. Starting at 6th level, they may make one wandstrike with each wand gauntlet per round. Otherwise this functions as Wand Gauntlets.

I like it

When making a wandstrike, the Adept may spend additional charges from the wand to apply a metamagic feat they know to the wand's effect. They must spend additional charges equal to the increase the metamagic feat would apply to a spell's level. Only one feat may be applied in this way at a time.

always nice. I would double the charge cost, because, again, a wand has 50 charges, so expending 4 charges to maximize the effect is not that bad.

Starting at 8th level, when making a wandstrike, if the Adept hits with the unarmed attack and the wand's effect requires a saving throw, the primary target (the one hit by the unarmed attack) takes a penalty on its saving throw equal to the Adept's Wisdom modifier (if they can craft cleric wands) or Intelligence modifier (if they can craft wizard wands).

First, explain what the DC to resist the wands effects are. Unless you already did and I overlooked it. I imagine it's (10 + spell level +WIS or INT Mod)

Unyielding Wandstrike Assault (Ex)
At 10th level, the Adept has reached the peak of their wandstriking abilities. They are no longer limited to one use of their wand gauntlets per round.

I'm iffy on this one ... Yes, it's an appropriate capstone, but as I understand this ability, the Wandstriker is now able to go on a casting spree using flurry of blows

Thanks again for looking over my Void Scriptor, I'll be re-working it shortly. I hope my feedback helped. :smallbiggrin:

anacalgion
2014-01-22, 11:30 PM
In return for PEACHing my Void Scriptor, which I appreciate by the way, I'll take a gander at this here PrC.

'Bout time :smallbiggrin:

My thoughts exactly :smallwink:

Seems awesome ... Just some formatting, it says "makes an unarmed attack against the creature's touch AC". I would just say, makes a touch attack. However, "A newly created wand has 50 charges" (PH1), that's a +10 enhancement bonus to attack and damage. May want to change the bonus to 1/10 the charges remaining rounded up.

Um yeah, I may have forgotten how to do division. It was supposed to be 1/10. Silly me.

Also, if the wand has magic missile, does the Wandstriker have to be in melee range to use the wands? That's not clear, unless that's what you meant by unarmed attack. Also, if they have to be in melee, that means wands of fireball are out of the question, which is fine, there's always lightning bolt.

Actually, not really. If you check the text, it says the creature has to be among the targets, not at the center of the AoE. I'm pretty sure that allows you to put the center of the fireball behind them so they get caught in the edge. That's the intent at least. If it doesn't work that way (because you don't have line of effect or something), then yeah, lightning bolts are the way to go. Also, it's supposed to say that you can still use them as normal wands. My bad, adding that now.

Add something that indicates what caster level the wands are made at. Either state that all wands are created at (minimum caster level) or the (Wandstriker's class levels).

Whoops. Forgot to copy-pasta that bit. Thanks.

First, explain what the DC to resist the wands effects are. Unless you already did and I overlooked it. I imagine it's (10 + spell level +WIS or INT Mod)

I'll make that more clear.

I'm iffy on this one ... Yes, it's an appropriate capstone, but as I understand this ability, the Wandstriker is now able to go on a casting spree using flurry of blows.

I figure at level 16 or so if you've worked hard, taken levels in monk, and some poor creature decides to end its turn within your reach, it deserves the six or so lightning bolts its going to get. It's a strong feature, yes. It's supposed to be.

Thanks again for looking over my Void Scriptor, I'll be re-working it shortly. I hope my feedback helped. :smallbiggrin:
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Debihuman
2014-01-23, 05:35 AM
Do wand gauntlets have the same statistics as normal gauntlets? You might want to mention that.

Wand Gauntlet:

While a gauntlet holds a wand, the Adept gains an enhancement bonus on unarmed attack and damage rolls made with their fists equal to 1/5 the wand's remaining charges, rounded up. Should always round down in 3.5; see core rules.

So he couldn't then use Quicken spell on this.

Debby

anacalgion
2014-01-23, 09:07 AM
Do wand gauntlets have the same statistics as normal gauntlets? You might want to mention that.

They don't, so I didn't. They're pretty well described in the text, you might want to give it another read.

Wand Gauntlet:
Should always round down in 3.5; see core rules.

Rounding goes down by default, sure. In this case I want it to go up, so I specified. Specific trumphs general.

So he couldn't then use Quicken spell on this.

Debby
Quicken Spell wouldn't do anything, you are correct.