PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures help

Kosmopolite
2007-01-21, 11:11 PM
Hey, all!

My character is a gnome sorcerer who may soon multiclass into either druid or ranger. I've been looking around, and I'm struggling to find any decent miniatures to represent him.

I found a couple (http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2500s/2510_G) of decent (http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2500s/2545_G) Reaper minis, but I'm not too sure.

I'd like someone short (obviously) with a beard, and who represents the class of the character. A hood would be preferable, but not necessary if it's a good mini.

Thanks very much, everyone!

Frosty Flake
2007-01-21, 11:20 PM
Awww... there used to be a great... Perfect Ral Partha miniature for what you want... if I were you, go to an old-school-ish gaming shop and see if they have a little cardboard box of used pewter (possibly even lead!) minis, nice and cheap.

Unless, you know, your not a money-hording scrooge like me...

Woot Spitum
2007-01-22, 12:06 AM
I've spent too much money on miniatures, and yet, it's still a rare event when our group gets to use a miniature to represent what it was meant to represent. We end up using the half-elf hexblade for everything (only light-armored medium-sized male character we have). Boo randomly generated miniature booster packs.:smallmad:

Fhaolan
2007-01-22, 12:47 AM
I'm having difficulty finding gnome minatures in general. I recently bought a Reaper male gnome barbarian, and a Dwarf female thief by mail-order, and when they arrived, they were the same size. Either the dwarf needed to be bulkier, or the gnome needed to be much smaller.

I have one old mini of a gnome wizard, from one of the old TSR spellcaster collections, and it's appropriately sized, but all the minis from back then were smaller. There was a shift from 25mm to 28mm at some point when I wasn't paying attention. :smallsmile:

Wehrkind
2007-01-22, 01:06 AM
Maybe she is an asian dwarf?

... Was that redundant?

Stephen_E
2007-01-22, 03:41 AM
DnD minis has a male Gnome Trickster (Rogue/Illusionist). From the Blood wars set IIRC.

Go to one of the sites that sell them and you can get a shot of the model.

Stephen

daggaz
2007-01-22, 09:15 AM
Buy some fimo clay and bake them yourself in your oven.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-22, 01:11 PM
Gnomes do seem to be hard to find. I looked around briefly at a couple lines but nothing jumped out except another Reaper fig I'm not sure if you looked at:

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2700s/2769_G

It's supposed to be a halfling, but it's an "old school" halfling so he's a little stuntier, like a gnome. He does have a hood. No beard, though he has a nice pointy chin so you could paint on a little goatee.

The only problem I see with him is that he has furry bare feet, which may be undesirable, though a good needle file can take care of that somewhat.

I've also painted this fig before, and he's pretty easy to do if you want to paint him.

If you do miniature modeling or know someone who does, it would be easy enough to take some green stuff (blue-yellow epoxy putty) and sculpt on a little beard. You could also clip off the weapons if they're inappropriate and/or greenstuff on a ball of flame/magical energy. And of course file down and then sculpt on some proper boots.

Fhaolan
2007-01-22, 04:28 PM
Buy some fimo clay and bake them yourself in your oven.

I've done this, and while interesting, they weren't that good. I just can't get the facial details to come out right in the clay. I'm just not a very good sculptor at that tiny size.

I have a book... somewhere... that goes into a lot of detail on how to modify plastic minatures into anything you want. (It was a diorama book, can't remember the title). But it based a lot of the info on a line of military minatures that isn't made anymore.

However, I've just looked through the Reaper catalog that I got with my last order and noticed that they're selling armatures now. The catalog was misprinted, so I'm having difficulty making out the blurry text. If those are plastic armatures, they'd be perfect for the techniques detailed in this book.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-22, 09:45 PM
However, I've just looked through the Reaper catalog that I got with my last order and noticed that they're selling armatures now. The catalog was misprinted, so I'm having difficulty making out the blurry text. If those are plastic armatures, they'd be perfect for the techniques detailed in this book.

They're pewter armatures, and are designed to be used for blue-yellow epoxy putty and similar putties. Sculpt your minis with those--they hold detail much better.

Accolon
2007-01-22, 10:04 PM
Reaper minis are the best, but they have shifted to more of a 28mm scale. I have two gnomes minis, a bard, and a rogue. If you want to check Ral Partha, they're now Iron Wind. They have a lot of the old scuplts.

AFA elves go, GDW is the best.

Kosmopolite
2007-03-19, 01:37 PM
Hi, all. I know it's been a while, but I realised that I hadn't told you which one I'd eventually gone with. I found the Underdark Halfling Sneak (19/60 C) on eBay for a couple of quid, so I bought it.

I'm sure you aren't interested, but I thought it ungrateful not to say something in lieu of thanks.