PDA

View Full Version : Dire Bat in a 20th Lv game

GhengisConrad
2014-01-11, 08:57 PM
So, in my build, I use Fangshield Ranger to pickup multiattack at 2nd level as a bonus feat. It's pretty baller.

At level 4, I have the option to gain a dire bat as an extra strong ranger companion.

I like the idea of taking advantage of a more-than-standard power.

But, is having a dire-bat pincushion usable at 20th level? Would I somehow be better off with a standard out-of-the-box soulspark? If its so weak its a one hit kill, then, meh, spend 1 level instead of 2 gonna be better for a thing that helps me flank and whatnots.

What do you think?

PraxisVetli
2014-01-12, 11:49 AM
Are you possibly for getting the extra HD and ability mods an animal companion gets?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-12, 05:10 PM
Those are in relation to the relevant class levels.

I guess I am saying, at 20th level, which is going to be better as a flanking friend,

4 levels of Fangshield Ranger and then with a dire bat

or 2 levels of Fangshield Ranger and 1 level of incarnate for incarnate bonuses and a soulspark familiar.

Is there a real benefit to the dire bat instead at 20th level? Considering he would be so weak relatively as to not be able to hit anything, or really be able to survive a hit...

Kazyan
2014-01-12, 07:03 PM
The Dire Bat would be a better flanking buddy, as tiny creatures (such as Soulsparks) can't flank.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-12, 09:04 PM
The Dire Bat would be a better flanking buddy, as tiny creatures (such as Soulsparks) can't flank.

*ding* Bingo~!

Good call m8. Exactly the kind of response I was looking for.