PDA

View Full Version : Re-Visiting My Homebrew World, "Mirror, Mirror" Style

Vanzanze
2014-01-11, 09:06 PM
I have a long-running campaign world that I mostly run solo now for my wife. Recently, I invented an alternate universe that was much younger in which my version of Bahamut (LG platinum dragon, god of good-aligned metallic dragons) named "Warrick" and my version of Tiamat (CE chromatic dragon, goddess of evil-aligned chromatic dragons) named "Pentavere" were sort-of flipped around.

This universe has "Pentaverick" as a LE metallic dragon, king of all evil-aligned metallic dragons, and "Vera," a CG chromatic dragon that is currently missing from the universe (she escaped to the "regular" universe, and her brother has been expanding into her free cities and territories ever since her departure).

Furthermore, in this universe, each kingdom is (usually, unless the kingdom/city is "free") ruled by a metallic dragon who favors first their own dragon-blooded kin (a race of bipedal dragonkin known as the "Drakoi"/singular: "Drakos"), then the race evolved from alligators known as the "Grimtooth," followed by the insect-like "Sild," and the Tauren-like "Hefren." "Scamprats" - scavengers who are built like halflings but evolved from rats/moles/etc. - are a nuisance and not considered citizens. "Visilans" - shapeshifters - are strictly outlawed and exterminated on-sight. The races are kept in a strict caste structure: Drakoi are the leaders (civic and religious), Grimtooth are warriors and guardsmen, Sild are merchants, Hefren are farmers and unskilled laborers, and Scamprats are the bottom of the totem pole. "Furial" - a race evolved from wolverines - are nomadic and generally kept outside the cities and kingdoms of this world.

That said, my wife is playing a CN Visilan who is currently living in a formerly-free city that has recently been conquered by Pentaverick. Its military force was off fighting a neighboring kingdom, and while the army know rumor of their free city being captured, it hasn't necessarily become a hard reality for them. My wife's character has her Visilan uncle, a befriended Furial tribe and a Hefren blacksmith as trusted allies, and her husband has several Visilans posing as his house-servants and a local theatre troupe. They recently convinced a Drakos woman of high standing to their side of things.

What I'm writing here for is: I'm a bit stuck for ideas. The PC has a whole group of illegal shapeshifters all skilled in rogue techniques if not full assassins or spies, a noblewoman, and a blacksmith. What kinds of scenarios can I throw at her?

For added thought: a group of Visilans called "The Hand" has attempted to assassinate the PC and her husband, and Pentaverick is aware of their presence in the city. With his hatred of Visilans, it is possible that Pentaverick will attempt to rid the city of them once and for all. The city also once boasted a temple to Vera, the missing goddess, which will shortly be removed by her vain, self-righteous brother and replaced with his own temple.

What I'm lacking in this campaign is a lot of action. I have wonderful RP sessions with established characters (my wife enjoys talking to NPCs a lot), but I'm not having a great deal of fun because we're not DOING anything to speak of. Intrigue, rumor, etc. ... but no assassinations, no spying, no thievery ...

How can I spice up my "Mirror, Mirror" style world?