PDA

View Full Version : Firing Hand Crossbows like Handguns

Nettlekid
2014-01-11, 10:16 PM
So imagine you have some Swift Ambusher build based around dual-wielding Hand Crossbows in a sort of Hot Fuzz "have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?" kind of way. TWF with Rapid Shot with Splitting Crossbow would give you tons of attacks. But there's the issue of reloading. Hand Crossbow Focus lets you reload as a free action, but still requires a free hand. I've heard the suggestion of using a Glove of Storing to free action put one crossbow in your glove, use the free hand to reload, fire, free action restore the crossbow and store the other, fire, reload, etc, but that's not fluid and stylish. There's the Quick Loading special ability from the MIC, but based on the description of "manipulation" activation it may require the free hand anyway, which is basically the same as having Hand Crossbow Focus. If I used a Casting Glove I could free action store the bow, free action activate Quick Loading, and free action restore it, but this is only 1/round.

So, questions: Does Quick Loading still require a free hand to activate? If so, is there a way to having something a bit like the repeating crossbow's clip on a Hand Crossbow, such that a single loading would fill it with several bolts? Because then the 1/round use of the Casting Glove with Quick Loading could refill that, which would be acceptable (shoot out about 5 shots from each crossbow, flip down at the end of the turn, reload, flip back up ready for the next round). But if Quick Loading doesn't need a free hand, then it should work find without the Casting Glove.

Actually, would this just work by dual-wielding Light Repeating Crossbows? Quick Loading doesn't state an interaction with the repeating aspect, but it states that reloading a Light Crossbow is a free action. Would the Light Repeating Crossbow counts as a Light Crossbow?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-11, 10:50 PM
So, questions: Does Quick Loading still require a free hand to activate?
Yes, all crossbows require a free hand for reloading, including repeating crossbows.

You can make a semi-automatic crossbow by adding Quick Loading (Magic Item Compendium, pages 41-42: the next bolt is put in place automatically; +1 bonus cost) to Self-Loading (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 116: the string is redrawn automatically; +10,000 gp cost). That's based on a heavy crossbow, though, so you'd need DM approval to repackage it for hand crossbows.

Deophaun
2014-01-11, 10:59 PM
Get a spare hand (MIC), then you can do all the free-action reloading you want while dual wielding crossbows.

Nettlekid
2014-01-11, 11:34 PM
Yes, all crossbows require a free hand for reloading, including repeating crossbows.

You can make a semi-automatic crossbow by adding Quick Loading (Magic Item Compendium, pages 41-42: the next bolt is put in place automatically; +1 bonus cost) to Self-Loading (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 116: the string is redrawn automatically; +10,000 gp cost). That's based on a heavy crossbow, though, so you'd need DM approval to repackage it for hand crossbows.

Ooh, I hadn't seen the Self-Loading thing. That alongside Quick Loading pretty much does the job, doesn't it? I expect most DMs would let Self-Loading be deconstructed and used for other crossbow types, but even if not then might as well dual-wield Heavy Crossbows. Hopefully a DM would let Quick Loading+Self-Loading to turn loading into a free action, like it says Self-Loading and Rapid Reload do.

Get a spare hand (MIC), then you can do all the free-action reloading you want while dual wielding crossbows.

I had thought about using a Spare Hand, but I think they look kind of dumb. Like to have a Zaphod Beeblebrox hand just sticking out on the side would be lopsided and not have the proper aesthetic for a deadly, dexterous crossbow sniper.

CyberThread
2014-01-11, 11:36 PM
hold your crossbow sideways, so you can aim it better.

Deophaun
2014-01-11, 11:42 PM
I had thought about using a Spare Hand, but I think they look kind of dumb.
Refluff it then. As long as it works the same way, it could be a prehensile tentacle growing out from your shoulder for all the game cares.

Gnome Alone
2014-01-11, 11:51 PM
hold your crossbow sideways, so you can aim it better.

So glad someone said this.

Snowbluff
2014-01-11, 11:57 PM
How about using 2 double crossbows for more FIRUH POWUH! Not really on topic but I just made up my next character.

So glad someone said this.

I concur.

Terazul
2014-01-12, 12:05 AM
Get a glove of the master strategist, store and retrieve the crossbows you're not using as free actions, reloading the other one with a free action while it's stored. A Much cheaper way of doing things. Also, True Strike 1/day!

Edit: ...Which I see has been mentioned, but it's basically easiest way to do it. And how is it not stylish? In a flourish of motion you spin your crossbows away, seamlessly interchanging cartridges/bolts, having both primed in an instant to fire upon your foe. It's basically a scene from an action movie.

Also consider getting Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark; +1 to attack rolls with a Hand Crossbow, but more importantly it can be reloaded as a free action. All the time. Very useful for a guns akimbo deal.

TuggyNE
2014-01-12, 12:09 AM
How about using 2 double crossbows for more FIRUH POWUH! Not really on topic but I just made up my next character.

Also, play a Thri-kreen or polymorph into an Arrow Demon or something. Four double crossbows!

Azoth
2014-01-12, 12:29 AM
Self Loading was also in another book, for which the name escapes as a +2 enchantment. Granted it was in a section for enchanting siege weapons, but it gives some kind of weight to it not just being a "unique" enchantment.

CyberThread
2014-01-12, 01:17 AM
God what is wrong with folks?

Okay so you do genesis, and you make yourself a plane of crossbow bolts.

You then hire someone with the create portal feat, and you create a portal at the base of your repeating crossbow casing.

Now every time a bolt is used, it makes space, and the portal spits out another bolt into the crossbow casing. Creating you into a machine box gunner.

Vanitas
2014-01-12, 01:22 AM
If you don't like Spare Hand, you could always use Gloves of Storing or Gloves of the Master Strategist.

Nettlekid
2014-01-12, 01:47 AM
If you don't like Spare Hand, you could always use Gloves of Storing or Gloves of the Master Strategist.

I mentioned those in the first post. I just don't think the whole "shoot with one, shoot with the other, make the first disappear, reload the second, make the second disappear, reappear the first, reload the first, make the second reappear, shoot with one, shoot with the other" thing is stylish enough. It's too much of a fumbling around feeling. Reloading with Quick Loading or the like is alright because it's just a steady stream. Somehow using Casting Gloves as I described in the first post would be best because it's like emptying two clips and then in one fluid motion putting two more in, but that seems like it can't work.

Vanitas
2014-01-12, 01:58 AM
I mentioned those in the first post. I just don't think the whole "shoot with one, shoot with the other, make the first disappear, reload the second, make the second disappear, reappear the first, reload the first, make the second reappear, shoot with one, shoot with the other" thing is stylish enough. It's too much of a fumbling around feeling. Reloading with Quick Loading or the like is alright because it's just a steady stream. Somehow using Casting Gloves as I described in the first post would be best because it's like emptying two clips and then in one fluid motion putting two more in, but that seems like it can't work.

Oh, sorry, I somehow missed that.