PDA

View Full Version : Hmm doesnt seem like there is proper rules for this.

Devronq
2014-01-11, 10:43 PM
Some google-fu as let me know that their isn't proper rules for how to calculate the price of a metamagic rod, they use inconsistent formulas to calculate their price. That being said what would be good rules for pricing these items?

eggynack
2014-01-11, 10:51 PM
I don't really see the issue. Even without a consistent formula, the pricing itself seems consistent, with +1's always being priced the same as other +1's, +2's priced the same as +2's, and so on. The only metamagic pricing not represented is +6 for persist, and I'd probably just not do that, cause it seems crazy cheesy. As is, there's no actual rules for this, and any custom rods would therefore be a houserule, but that's how you should price it if you want such a rod.

Devronq
2014-01-11, 11:06 PM
I meant more along the lines of that a +1 greater is 8 times the price of lesser and a +4 greater is 5 times the price of lesser so not consistent in that sense so i cant represent it in a formula just a set price for each number. I was hoping for a formula similar to this (Spell level × caster level × 25). Also i only intended this to work for +1 to +4 so no persist.

eggynack
2014-01-11, 11:11 PM
But what I'm saying is that you don't need a formula. A normal rod of rapid spell would cost 11,000 GP, because it's a +1 metamagic, and every existing normal +1 rod costs exactly that amount. It's important to come up with a formula when you need to extrapolate, but apart from +0's and +6's, every single combination of metamagic cost and rod type is accounted for by the existing list.