PDA

View Full Version : Latin Translation

Lady Moreta
2014-01-11, 11:39 PM
Hello all!

I am looking for a way of translating my wedding vows into Latin, as part of an anniversary present for my husband (it makes sense in context). I don't want to just use Google translate, because I don't get the impression it does a very good job, and while my husband isn't fluent, he knows enough to recognise when it's wrong.

Does anyone know of a good online translator, or for that matter, anyone who knows Latin who'd be willing to translate it for me?

I would be ever so grateful if someone (or many someones) could point me in the right direction :smallsmile:

Razanir
2014-01-12, 12:05 AM
Depending on how complicated it is, I could give it a shot. I'm trying to learn Latin, so if anything, it could be good practice for me.

Somensjev
2014-01-12, 12:08 AM
fortunately i'm learning latin
unfortunately i definitely dont know enough to do what you want, but i could probably help with a few words?

Eldariel
2014-01-12, 06:38 AM
I own a Latin-English Dictionary and have a decent grasp of the grammar. If not too long, I could potentially do it.

rs2excelsior
2014-01-12, 12:13 PM
In my experience, online translators can help with individual word translations, but when it comes to passages, they're nearly worthless.

That being said, I too will add myself to the list of those armed with a dictionary and some experience with the language who are willing to help out.

DraPrime
2014-01-12, 01:06 PM
I'm a year and a half into studying Latin, so I can give it a fair shot. It'll be tough for anyone who isn't really good though, because most education in Latin involves translating stuff into English, not the other way around. If you can, try contacting a professor at a nearby college. Most people who specialize in Roman history have to know it, and so they'll be very good at translating, or they can put you in touch with someone who will.

edit: Also, can you let us know how long the vows are?

rs2excelsior
2014-01-12, 01:18 PM
It'll be tough for anyone who isn't really good though, because most education in Latin involves translating stuff into English, not the other way around.

This, too. Translating the other way enough gives you a grasp of Roman idioms, etc, but it's still not as easy as translating Latin-English.

Also, something else to consider, do you want more or less English phrases just translated into Latin, or do you want something translated idiomatically enough that it sounds like it was written by an ancient Roman?

If you're okay with it, you might want to post it here, so we can repost our translations and compare them. Between us, we can probably put something pretty good together.

Killer Angel
2014-01-12, 01:25 PM
If you're okay with it, you might want to post it here, so we can repost our translations and compare them. Between us, we can probably put something pretty good together.

My knowledge of latin is old, and i cannot certainly help you if I were alone (aka: PM), so this is a good suggestion.

Razanir
2014-01-12, 01:39 PM

It actually sounds like a good idea to compare them, because we might also translate certain things differently. For instance, because of my background, I'm more likely to use the subjunctive poetically than other people might be.

DraPrime
2014-01-12, 02:17 PM

I too agree with this. Unless there's a real Latin scholar amongst us, a group effort is your best shot of getting an accurate translation.

Jay R
2014-01-12, 07:07 PM
Translations can be tricky, because words have more than one meaning, and the translations can have unintended consequences. Your best bet is to post it here, and let us play as a team. All of us will do better than any one of us.

Lady Moreta
2014-01-12, 09:41 PM
In my experience, online translators can help with individual word translations, but when it comes to passages, they're nearly worthless.

That's why I didn't want to just use Google Translate :smallsmile:

I'll post it here then and see what you clever people come up with :smallsmile:

I can't do it right now though, I have to count money and bank money... and then I'll need to find the book my vows are written in. It's in one of two places, I'm just not sure which. And for the person who asked how many lines - I'm not sure, we got married six years ago and I don't remember. Probably no more than 10 at a guess.

Miriel
2014-01-13, 10:04 PM
I can give it a shot too.

(Yes, I didn't need to post to say this, but otherwise, I'd forget the thread.)

Lady Moreta
2014-01-14, 01:29 AM
Thank you :smallsmile:

Also, I have run into a snag. I can't find the book.

It wasn't in either of the places I thought it was, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else either. My only hope is the fact that I know I didn't throw it out. I distinctly remember deciding to 'put it somewhere safe' the last time I fished it out, which was clearly a mistake, as if I'd just left if where I found it, I wouldn't be wandering around going 'I can't find the damn thing' right now. I may have to resort to watching our wedding DVD and seeing if I can hear myself clearly enough to figure it out. Unfortunately, there was no amplification, the mic on the camera being used wasn't great, and my voice is very quiet. At least, I have a better idea of where that DVD is though...

Watch this space... I'll figure it out one way or the other.

Miriel
2014-01-14, 06:59 PM
Well, until then, we can try some preliminary questions on what you want. Because latin is, well... a rather diverse language, and it was in active use for nearly 3000 years. And we have nothing better to do.

So... What sort of latin do you want? Classical latin? Patristic Latin (think Augustine)? Medieval Latin? Humanist Latin? This is important 1) for the vocabulary, of course, and 2) for syntax, because the later the latin, the more it tends to fixed word order and subject-verb-object (SVO) syntax, e.g. Domina bibit aquam, instead of the Classical Domina aquam bibit, for The lady drinks water. Fixed word order is easier to read and SVO feels completely natural for us, + it's typical of Medieval Latin, but it feels very un-classical.

rs2excelsior
2014-01-14, 07:04 PM
^This is something that would be quite helpful to know. I will say, though, my experience with Latin is virtually exclusively classical Latin. I can't speak for everyone else, though.

Razanir
2014-01-14, 07:12 PM
^This is something that would be quite helpful to know. I will say, though, my experience with Latin is virtually exclusively classical Latin. I can't speak for everyone else, though.

Whereas I have more experience with patristic/medieval Latin. It's also why I'm likely to use the subjunctive instead of the imperative sometimes- because of the theology inherent in the syntax.

Miriel
2014-01-14, 07:25 PM
I can do both Classical and Late Medieval. I'm not an expert on either, though.

DraPrime
2014-01-14, 09:05 PM
Most of my skill is in Classical. I really think this all depends on what kind of Latin the husband was educated in. However, we should still probably tend towards what we all know best as a group. Even if the husband was educated in medieval Latin, he'll probably understand something written by a bunch of classicists, as long as we don't write some absurdly long Ciceronian monstrosity of a sentence.

Manga Shoggoth
2014-01-15, 07:05 AM
I may have to resort to watching our wedding DVD and seeing if I can hear myself clearly enough to figure it out. Unfortunately, there was no amplification, the mic on the camera being used wasn't great, and my voice is very quiet. At least, I have a better idea of where that DVD is though..

The older denominations used to perform the services in Latin, and you may be able to find latin versions of the vows. (A quick google of "marriage vows in latin" came up with a few interesting hits).

Of course, if you were married under one of the newer traditions (or forged your own...) this may not be an option.

Lady Moreta
2014-01-15, 09:33 PM
Of course, if you were married under one of the newer traditions (or forged your own...) this may not be an option.

Alas, no. We're both writers, and we wrote our own vows.

Maethirion
2014-01-16, 02:20 AM
I also have a fairly good knowledge of Classical Latin, and have friends who are significantly better at it than I am who can check my work, so I'm sure I can lend a hand as well.