PDA

View Full Version : Making Fantasy Names

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:33 AM
I am the type of person who has problems coming up with names for anything, and am currently looking for a name for the campaign setting I'm making. How do you come up with the names you use? (this might belong in homebrew, but It's iffy)

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:35 AM
Nah, this forum is fine for it. I find we're pretty relaxed about that.

Anyway, I use this thingy:

http://www.behindthename.com/random/

It'll generate some things it claims are fantasy, but they're jokes. I would suggest using some of the languages with which you are less familiar and base them off of those.

Edit: For example, I just generated this: Chukwuemeka Amancio

Shazzbaa
2007-01-22, 12:40 AM
Waitaminute, I'm confused. Is this question, "How do I come up with a suitable name for the BBEG?" Or is this question, "How do I come up with a good title for my campaign/setting?"

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:43 AM
This is all about making up names for anything to do with fantasy.

I'm thinking of name my Campaign setting Aciens or something of the like.

Frosty Flake
2007-01-22, 12:43 AM
Look at a map of a country that has close ethnic ties to the overall culture of your world and then just pick some random no-where town that sounds kinda neat.

Middelfart, for instance, is in Denmark.

Middelfart.

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:47 AM
Look at a map of a country that has close ethnic ties to the overall culture of your world and then just pick some random no-where town that sounds kinda neat.

Middelfart, for instance, is in Denmark.

Middelfart.

Now Frost Flake, If you think thats funny check Newfoundland in Canada.
I would prefer editing the names slightly.

Frosty Flake
2007-01-22, 12:52 AM
Now Frost Flake, If you think thats funny check Newfoundland in Canada.
I would prefer editing the names slightly.

Oh, I've been there... crazy Newfies and their mangled-frenglish town-names...

Actually, for =something far more befitting of your (I'm assuming) serious high fantasy world, look at Normandy. Argentan? Vire? Lisieux?

Although, what I'd recommend (it's what I do) is have each culture call the world something different... I mean, not everyone says Earth, right?

Gralamin
2007-01-22, 12:57 AM
Oh, I've been there... crazy Newfies and their mangled-frenglish town-names...

Actually, for =something far more befitting of your (I'm assuming) serious high fantasy world, look at Normandy. Argentan? Vire? Lisieux?

Although, what I'd recommend (it's what I do) is have each culture call the world something different... I mean, not everyone says Earth, right?

Good point, however I prefer to have one thing as the "common" tongue for now.

Frosty Flake
2007-01-22, 01:09 AM
Good point, however I prefer to have one thing as the "common" tongue for now.

Is the 'Common Tongue' for all intents and porpoises (:P) english? If so, why not give it mystical-ish descriptive name *in english* like The Great Corpse or Alwayswinter or even just Mother?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-22, 01:14 AM
I can't say as I've ever had any difficulty with names. They just spring up, bidden or otherwise.

If you need help however, here are a number from my 'Ultimate D&D Link' thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19935):

Some various character name generators
Official Wizard's Name Generator (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010208b)
Fantasy Name Generator (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/)

Kate Monk's Onomastikon (http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk)
A collection of names from around the world intended to help provide character names for role-players. Want a nepalese handle? An icelandic nickname? A hawaiin monicker?

Frosty Flake
2007-01-22, 01:18 AM
OOOOH!
You should call your world Βιβλίο!
And μάνδρα could be the creator-god!

Darkshade
2007-01-22, 01:38 AM
Aurellius - Gem of the Heavens

Sir_Banjo
2007-01-22, 07:00 AM
I am the type of person who has problems coming up with names for anything, and am currently looking for a name for the campaign setting I'm making. How do you come up with the names you use? (this might belong in homebrew, but It's iffy)

I try to just use normal names, perhaps with different spelling, and mix them with a colour, animal or something equally descriptive. ie. Edward Fox, Lucien La Chance. In one instance I took the class "wizard", changed the "w" to an "m" and got Mizzard the Wizzard. Dm gave an audible sigh when I thought that one up.

Jorkens
2007-01-22, 08:11 AM

It's even better if you can pick out the parts meaning 'town' or 'mountain' or whatever and then combine them with words of your choice. Or just do what Tolkien did and nick stuff wholesale from Old English.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-01-22, 08:19 AM
I usually turn to a half-dozen or more random generators and keep clicking generate until I see something I like. Sometimes I hit random keys on the keyboard and insert vowels to make it pronouncable.

As for setting names? My settings don't have names. My longest running game, a really messed up and crossover-riddled Star Wars universe, has recently been titled TEMP by my brother. It stands for either Terribly and Excessively Mauled Place, or Terribly and Excessively Mauled Play. It's also a joke, refering to my tendancy to create 'temporary' files and folders that... aren't so temporary.

The only other setting with anything resembling a name is called... "Not Forgotten Realms", based on the fact that our FR party is adventuring there, but it isn't actually FR. *sigh*

Dark
2007-01-22, 08:23 AM
I
The only other setting with anything resembling a name is called... "Not Forgotten Realms", based on the fact that our FR party is adventuring there, but it isn't actually FR. *sigh*
You could at least call it Remembered Realms :)

Darrin
2007-01-22, 08:33 AM

There are three rules for creating Overly Pretentious Fantasy Names:

1) Start with something in Gaelic, Celtic, or Welsh to maximize unnecessary consonants and vowels. Make sure you tell absolutely everyone at the table first how it's spelled and then how it's pronounced. Example: It's spelled "Cpheonnaouexgh" but pronounced "Shawn".

2) "Y" Substitution - substitute any "i"'s in the name with "y". Actually, heck, why stop there, just substitute all your vowels with "y". Remember, in Gaelic, lots of consonants can also be considered vowels.

3) Apostrophe Abuse - Add half-a-dozen or so apostrophes to represent "aspirated/unaspirated consonants" that of course can only be properly pronounced by non-human vocal chords (even though ' usually denotes a glottal stop or tongue click in most phonetic alphabets).

Jorkens
2007-01-22, 08:35 AM
3) Apostrophe Abuse - Add half-a-dozen or so apostrophes to represent "aspirated/unaspirated consonants" that of course can only be properly pronounced by non-human vocal chords (even though ' usually denotes a glottal stop or tongue click in most phonetic alphabets).
Essential, this.

Fronko
2007-01-22, 08:50 AM
Get one of these:
http://data.blogg.de/1094869/images/Image23.jpg

Drop it to the ground and see what it comes up with ...

Belkarseviltwin
2007-01-22, 09:22 AM
Two Asian Hints (my two yen, perhaps?):
For Chinese wuxia-style names, I use this: http://wotg.raventower.com/ It gives, when you set it to put out 100 names, 1 or 2 good ones (Silent Destruction Cai) and a lot of funny ones (Condemned Brick Feng, Immense Cook Ban).
For Japanese names, I use a list of Japanese Navy ships from WW2. Zuikaku or Asashio, anyone?

NullAshton
2007-01-22, 09:27 AM
I prefer using japanese names. I just get a meaning I want, and go through the different synonyms of that name until I find one I like.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 09:27 AM
Incidentally, Latin is also always a good source of names, and indeed, general amusement. Just think how they'll react when you say that you own a catapult and unless they give you all their money you'll hurl rocks at their head.

Morty
2007-01-22, 09:40 AM
Just put a cat on the keybord and look what happens.

Amiria
2007-01-22, 09:44 AM
I have some random word generation program called "Palabra". You feed it with some .txt-file and then it makes random words by jumbling up its contents.

My best character name from it was "Nachovagladron Diringhornin", but everyone called him "Nacho".

Steward
2007-01-22, 09:59 AM
Just string together a bunch of syllables and drop an apostrophe or two into it. A hero named Ted is boring, but a hero named T'drwmcht Vll'nsl'yer rocks your socks.

Your hero ought to have a magical object or tool to help him out in your story. Naming such a thing is really easy. Just take the name of a tool or object [such as hammer, or pendant] and connect it to a cool-sounding word [like power or magic] using the adposition 'of'.

Your villain's name can be pronounceable, but it must have some combination of the words Death, Skull, Cloak, Shadow, Shade, Dark, and a government title of some sort [such as King, Lord, Duke, or President].

To name your dwarf character, take any two words that have something to with mining, rocks, or weapons and string them together like that. If your character must have a first name, just take a random syllable and add the word 'grim' to the end.

Naming an elf is equally easy. Just take any word that has something to do with space and translate it into Latin or Greek.

Finally, naming your world. Your world should have a similar naming convention to your hero's name, but should have the suffix -ria attached.

Therefore...

Young T'drwmcht Vll'nsl'yer, a simple farmboy, sets off on a daring quest with his stalwart dwarven companion Durgrim Pebblepick and the wise and enigmatic elf Lunae Phoebus to save the world of B'bble'toria from the sinister House Representative Shadowskull.

Now, get cracking!

Portent
2007-01-22, 10:52 AM
Back when I was writing up ideas for campaign settings, one of the first things I decided was to have some real world ancient civilizations color the various races, cultures, etc. Taking a page from the Giant's world-building article (well, using the whole thing to help the process, really), I wanted to keep the languages and names "consistent" with one another, so I went onto good ol' Google and looked for language dictionaries and name lists. It was pretty fun, especially since I wasn't looking out for grammar rules and full sentences, but just one-shot names for people, places, and things.

Chinese: http://zhongwen.com/
Celtic (among others): http://zhongwen.com/
Norse: http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/ and http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-TC-X.html and http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONNames.shtml
Zoroastrian terms: http://www.avesta.org/zglos.html#Amahraspand
Latin to English: http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.html
Sanskrit: http://sanskritdocuments.org/dict/dictall.txt
Tibetan: http://www2.lucidcafe.com/sherpa1/sfa/sSherNam.htm

I've unfortunately lost the link I had to Mitannian, Sumerian, and Akkadian names.

Hope this helps you out some.

Bryn
2007-01-22, 11:16 AM
Seventh Sanctum has some good generators for about pretty much anything you can think of, including names. Find it here (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/).

I don't actually use it, however. I generally just come up with some appropriate sounds (although I avoid apostrophes) for whatever I am creating, taking inspiration from various cultures of the world.

Frosty Flake
2007-01-22, 11:19 AM
I'll add one more to that list
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/vikbynames.html
These are all the viking bynames found in Landnamabok and their meanings as well as each bynames number of occurances... no-one likes poor Skattkaupandi...

Incidentally, Latin is also always a good source of names, and indeed, general amusement.
My dog's name is Canum

Golthur
2007-01-22, 11:50 AM
You won't like how I do it - at least for places.

Basically, I build a small subset of the language spoken by the people in the area. Then, I name everything according to its outward characteristics, e.g. "black forest", "high tower", etc. or some other poetic name "city of the sun", etc. Translate into the language, and, bam - instant fantasy names that (mostly) don't suck.

Just avoid apostrophes. Every bloody fantasy author seems to think apostrophes make names "exotic". :yuk:

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-22, 12:09 PM
The "standard" fantasy naming conventions usually annoy me.
You can't have a normal name, it's gotta be KORDOGG, the babyfeaster! Wielder of the axe of ZOMG!

...Seriously though. Best character I've ever played was a rogue named Terry.

Edit: the one exception is dwarven names--I don't know, but stuff like "Dulgan" always works for me.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:16 PM
Just avoid apostrophes. Every bloody fantasy author seems to think apostrophes make names "exotic". :yuk:

Someday, I shall have a character named ''''' '' ' ' " or something similar.

CrazedGoblin
2007-01-22, 12:24 PM
http://www.tilansia.com/langconvert.php

is a language converter for different languages, but unfortunalty it has a leet speak bit on there but thats just ignored and left in a small corner on its own while the other dialects eat popcorn.

the only rule i use with my character is my characters start with the letter "J" as my real name is James,it makes them more attached to me :smallbiggrin:

on the roleplaying server of Layonara using NWN1, the words for animal language for druids and such for people that did not understand it that was all they got :D

Golthur
2007-01-22, 12:26 PM
That's gonna sound like a soft drink pouring out of an upside-down bottle (or chugging a beer), at least if you're pronouncing ' as the glottal stop. :amused:

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-22, 12:29 PM
Ug gug guhgug guggug?

Golthur
2007-01-22, 12:33 PM
Ug gug guhgug guggug?
Sort of. The glottal stop is that sound between the two words of "uh-oh", or in the Cockney English way of pronouncing "bottle" (bo'ul). It's like a glug or click in the back of your throat.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 12:41 PM
That's gonna sound like a soft drink pouring out of an upside-down bottle (or chugging a beer), at least if you're pronouncing ' as the glottal stop. :amused:

Haha, you're right!

Maybe I'll name him ''! ! ! ' " ! instead

Baerdog7
2007-01-22, 12:41 PM
A surefire way to come up with some quick country/kingdom names is to use Armenian surnames. Lop off the last couple of letters and add -ia or -ria (depending on the surname) and you're set. Doing a Google search for Armenian surnames will give you some good places to start.

-Baerdog7

Golthur
2007-01-22, 12:42 PM
Haha, you're right!

Maybe I'll name him ''! ! ! ' " ! instead
Now THAT's funny. It's like one of those pop-o-matic games. :biggrin:

Jorkens
2007-01-22, 12:58 PM

Basically, I build a small subset of the language spoken by the people in the area. Then, I name everything according to its outward characteristics, e.g. "black forest", "high tower", etc. or some other poetic name "city of the sun", etc. Translate into the language, and, bam - instant fantasy names that (mostly) don't suck.
You could probably cheat by picking appropriate sounding real world languages - preferably obscure ones that noone in the group speaks - and using them. *googles* www.logos.it might be handy for this.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-22, 01:39 PM
Just name him "............" and call him a Final Fantasy character.

Golthur
2007-01-22, 01:46 PM
You could probably cheat by picking appropriate sounding real world languages - preferably obscure ones that noone in the group speaks - and using them. *googles* www.logos.it might be handy for this.
Like Esperanto :wink:?

Seriously, yes, this would work very well for the less linguistically-inclined, but I'll say that sometimes you might not know how many languages your players might speak (I had one that spoke 5 or 6, - including Gujerati - and didn't know it until it came up one day in casual conversation). Building a language really isn't hard once you get the swing of it. Nowadays there's probably even software out there to do some of the work.

AngelSword
2007-01-22, 02:49 PM
...Maybe I'll name him ''! ! ! ' " ! instead
That reminds me of something my friend had told me about his future kids (or was it about his brother's future kids?). Instead of just using normal names, he plans on using punctuation in their names, thus imparting their speech levels.

Imagine it. "Hi, my name is Rich! Richards." "I found out my sister, Jane?, is getting married. Her name will be Jane? Williams."

In regards to fantasy names, I tend to just take one or two words, switch or change letters, and call it a day. My campaign world is Numyth, combining New and Myth, changing the 'e,' and having the 'w' drop out somewhere along the line. I had a character pilot a ship called the Oldavvi, which came to me when I saw an Old Navy shirt folded weird. My water mage was named Thaquara, which is based around the word, "aqua."

Inspiration is all around you. If you just listen to conversations (especially between people who have strong accents), you're bound to incorrectly hear something, and can work off of that.

Matthew
2007-01-22, 03:52 PM
Easiest way I found is to just take a real world name and slightly alter it. Naming conventions come in highly useful for suspending disbelief, though.

Pepper
2007-01-22, 04:40 PM
Just add "ic" or "is" or any other suffix to your normal names.

example Bryan becomes "Bryanis"
Smith becomes "Smithic" for

Bryanis Smithic human paladin

Mewtarthio
2007-01-22, 04:40 PM
The best thing is the Fantasy Name Generator in VT's post. Just generate lots of random syllables and find one that seems to fit. Also, keep the names short; say, no more than three syllables unless you get some combinations that flow really well.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-22, 04:43 PM
Bryanis Smithic human paladin

Spelling's important, too. You may want to fix the spelling so it looks more natural:

Briannis Smithikk (sorry, I just don't like that "-ic" and the end. It looks like he's some sort of lizard being raised by humans who retains his family name).

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-22, 04:44 PM
For myself, I just tend to pick stuff out of here. (http://web.archive.org/web/20041207031955/daire.org/names/index.html) If you read my stories in the Arts & Crafts forum, you'll see a lot of names from both Arthurian legend and that compilation.

tbarrie
2007-01-22, 11:36 PM

This is close to what I do, except I don't bother to create a language... I just pick a real-world language to represent the language of the area, and use that.

If you do go this route, there's a lot to be said for emulating Tolkien and using English to represent the language the PCs will be speaking (and Old English to represent archaic forms). That way names that should be familiar and normal-sounding to the PCs will be familiar and normal-sounding to the players, and conversely for exotic, foreign names.

I agree, but their appeal seems hard to resist. If you've read the Giant's unfinished series of articles on creating a new fantasy world, you may have noticed that he promised to avoid apostrophes in the middle of words in part seven, but names a people the "Ayoo Tun’I" in part nine.:)

Ashildr_the_Bard
2007-01-22, 11:42 PM
OOOOH!
You should call your world Βιβλίο!
And μάνδρα could be the creator-god!

Damn it, I understood that. Darn my classical education.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-22, 11:50 PM
I play the random letter game. I close my eyes, choose 2-3 letters, then open my eyes and look at the letters. I try to rearrange them in some fashion and add letters as necessary. I also follow certain naming aescthetics, such as avoid the letter 's' on good or careful characters, only using 'l' on "pretty" characters, keeping vowels at a bare minimum for bold characters, and using the reverse for shy characters. There's literally hundreds of letter aescthetic rules, most of which you learn subconsciously instead of memorizing. Mastery of them can make for an excellent fantasy namer.

And when you're feeling lazy, use foreign languages.

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 12:10 AM
Two Asian Hints (my two yen, perhaps?):
For Chinese wuxia-style names, I use this: http://wotg.raventower.com/ It gives, when you set it to put out 100 names, 1 or 2 good ones (Silent Destruction Cai) and a lot of funny ones (Condemned Brick Feng, Immense Cook Ban).
For Japanese names, I use a list of Japanese Navy ships from WW2. Zuikaku or Asashio, anyone?

i used something like that once that named martial arts manuevers i got...

16 Swimming Butterflies Bloom Behind Iron Starfish!!!

also try not to name your NPCs anything that could easily be changed to an insulting name for that NPC, unless you want your players to walk around calling poor Dimble the Magnificent by Dimnuts the mage

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 12:16 AM
you know another thing that makes names and people in a world seem like they have some kind of history is titles such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Emperor, Duke, Baron; and Suffixes like Jr., Sr., III, XIII

for Example

Viscount Rygaliss Damar XI

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-23, 12:23 AM
Gasp! I have been found out!

Dareon
2007-01-23, 05:08 AM
Personally, I use http://www.mapmage.com/namemage.htm a lot, just hitting Generate until I find a selection of syllables that seems nice. I write down the best ones and juggle them together. Rarely do I actually find a full-on name that fits. I mean, even if Quetzacatechukaax means "Great and powerful warrior with the virility of the great sun god who sits upon his throne of skulls," I'm not going around with a name like that.

Another thing to think about is diacritical marks. Even if you're not pronouncing them properly (or at all), they make a name look at least vaguely interesting. Case in point: Eäril-Galindë Lómüriand. ...Everyone calls him Earl. But it looks like a decent Elven name without hitting the Tolkein generator, and you can say it translates to pretty much whatever you want.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-23, 07:52 AM
also try not to name your NPCs anything that could easily be changed to an insulting name for that NPC, unless you want your players to walk around calling poor Dimble the Magnificent by Dimnuts the mage

In our group it's an unwritten rule that the players get to give NPCs dirty names.

Thomas
2007-01-23, 08:08 AM
Steal, steal, steal!

The internet is full of "baby name" lists and other name resources. Use old Saxon, Cymric, and Norse names, Arabic names, what-have-you. Just go through the different languages in a baby name site and see which has names you like. (Heck, use different languages for different people in your world.)

I've personally compiled a list of probably well over two hundred Saxon, Cymri, and Norse names for use in my RuneQuest campaign; I habitually nick names from Shakespeare, Arthurian legends (although many of those are Cymric anyway), Greek legends, and so on.

I mean, even if Quetzacatechukaax means "Great and powerful warrior with the virility of the great sun god who sits upon his throne of skulls," I'm not going around with a name like that.

Shortening it to Quatzaca, however, works great. You're also left with Techukaax, who can be his brother or something. (You know, those names would fit Athas perfectly...)

Catharsis
2007-01-23, 09:29 AM
As a hobby language-maker, I take great interest in the look-and-feel of a fantasy culture and the internal consistency of a language. If I were to make a fantasy setting (and I do get the urge every now and then), I'd make sure each culture had its own typographical and phonological "flavor".

As a player, though, I just make up a name that "sounds right". If the DM gives you a general flavor (e.g. "the Finiçoise generally have pompous French-like names"), use it as a guideline, you still have plenty of freedom. Barbarian? Grousson "the Boar" Maracheau. Wizard? Witness grand master Philomas Anasthase Calombert. Noble swashbuckler? Make way for lady Aurée-Nivelle de Saintmichelot!

A few hints:
Make names that you can actually pronounce.
Spell them in a way that could possibly make sense, given the pronunciation.
Use English-style spelling for Common names. Use more phonetic spelling for cultures that don't speak Common. For example, pronounce an Elven name like Sala as SAH-lah rather than SAY-luh; if you want the latter, write it Seile. Of course, if it's the name of a Common-speaking human barmaid, SAY-luh is exactly what you expect for Sala.

Apostrophes are not your friends, unless you know exactly what you want to represent with them. Don't say "it's a glottal stop" but then blissfully ignore it when pronouncing the name.
Don't buy in to the clichés. Don't think Celtic = Beauty just because Tolkien thought so. Welsh actually sounds really ugly to my ears, I'd use it as inspiration for an orc language anytime. Female names don't have to end in -a. Neither do male names have to end in -k.Just as an example, the last few characters I named were:
A sorcerer (my avatar!) from the Greyhawk country Gyruff/Geoff, whose language is a Welsh ripoff: Coram Machira (KOR-um muh-KHEE-ruh). His raven familiar: Crwy (KROO-ee).
A strong, serene human (Common-speaking) chain-wielding fighter/cleric of Lathander: Wulfram Bront (WOOL-frum bront).
A female human swashbuckler with a level of beguiler: Callisti Sarayé Quintessaldo (kul-LIST-ee sah-rah-YAY quin-tess-SAHL-do).
Briannis Smithikk (sorry, I just don't like that "-ic" and the end. It looks like he's some sort of lizard being raised by humans who retains his family name).Huh? If anything, the -ic looks noble, whereas -ikk looks jarring enough to fit your lizard backstory. :wink:

Mewtarthio
2007-01-23, 07:14 PM
Huh? If anything, the -ic looks noble, whereas -ikk looks jarring enough to fit your lizard backstory. :wink:

You're right; the "-ikk" is definately worse. It's just that there's something very odd-looking about the surname "Smithic."

Smythic? Smithick? :smallconfused: Smythykck? :smallannoyed: The name sounds all right, but I can't think of how to spell it. I'm probably overthinking this: I'm sure it's a fine name (or at least you could say that the name is fine, which oddly enough means something entirely different in the English language).

Dareon
2007-01-23, 08:10 PM
Smythic? Smithick? :smallconfused: Smythykck? :smallannoyed:
Timezyq. The "ti" is pronounced like in "ghoti"- er... "fish." I don't know what the Z is pronounced like.

Alternately, it's a silent "ick", like in Fionnach.

Catharsis
2007-01-24, 05:22 PM
Huh, I'd guess Fionnach to be FINN-ukh, not silent.

How about Smithick? The name sounds rather anglosaxon, it might as well be spelled that way.

goat
2007-01-24, 07:17 PM
Call everybody Keith.