PDA

View Full Version : Warblade//Psion feats and power suggestions???

HunterOfJello
2014-01-12, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm running a Warblade//Psion in a game that goes from level 1 up (currently lvl 2) and could use some advice. I've played a warblade before, but not a psion and could use some help from people with a bit of experience. Do you think this setup is a good one, what changes might you make, and what powers do you suggest for the future?

What is allowed: 2 flaws, 1 trait, feats at odd levels, Con can be used to qualify for Wis based psionic feats, free +1 LA for race

What I have:
Race: Tiefling (free +1 LA)
Discipline: Egoist
Feats: Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Psicrystal Affinity, Linked Power
Flaws: Murky Eyed, Vulnerable
Trait: Abrasive
Powers: Force Screen, Entangling Ectoplasm, Attraction, Energy Ray, Vigor
Stats: 16 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 20 Int, 8 Wis, 8 Cha
Maneuvers: Steel Win, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Charging Minotaur, (unchosen)
Stance: Punishing Stance

What I'm thinking of getting in the future:
Feats: Psicrystal Containment (lvl3), Psionic Meditation (lvl5), ???????(psion5), ??????? (warblade 5), Shock Trooper (lvl7) [Note: DM has ruled that feats are gained at odd levels, Con can be used for prereq on Wis-based psionic feats]
PrC: Crystal Master at lvl 6+ for better defenses and utility

~~~

Ultimate Question: Do you think this is a good spread and what changes or future setups might you give to the character? I am interested in your suggestions about powers especially.

Manly Man
2014-01-12, 01:58 PM
Your DM might call cheese on you for it, but one thing I highly, HIGHLY recommend with this setup is to have the feat Deep Impact by the time you can start using more of the Nightmare Blade maneuvers. Note that in doing so, you make the Emerald Razor maneuver essentially useless, but can combine it with, say, Diamond Nightmare Blade for quadruple damage with a touch attack. Also, make sure to take at least Mountain Hammer, so you can then get deep crystal weapons and not worry about DR, and with your levels as a Psion, you'll have more than enough points to spend on the occasional attack. Greater Psionic Weapon might be fun as well, since you can expend both your focus and that of your psicrystal to do, assuming you're using a greatsword, 4(2d6+2d6 from the deep crystal+4d6 from Greater Psionic Weapon+PA damage+1.5 Str. bonus), which can then double or triple or whatever with a critical hit, all with a touch attack. This, of course, is thinking pretty far ahead into the game, but it's something that's great for one-shotting bosses, or at least making them flee, and a good idea to ponder upon for later. On top of that, Deep Impact is still great for earlier levels when you're initiating a maneuver that you absolutely need to hit.

classy one
2014-01-12, 03:22 PM
When I combine ToB and psionics I almost always go for instant clarity and renewal. One feat lets you gain focus when you use a manuvuer while the other feat lets you regain a manuvuer when you expand focus. If you are using Untapped Potential the PrC enlighted protector has a capstone that let's you regain focus as a swift action.

HunterOfJello
2014-01-12, 05:57 PM
Your DM might call cheese on you for it, but one thing I highly, HIGHLY recommend with this setup is to have the feat Deep Impact by the time you can start using more of the Nightmare Blade maneuvers.

You, sir, have made my day. I never thought about it that way or realized that I could get those abilities so easily. That will help my build out tremendously and give me very useful last-ditch-effort options.

I think I'll switch out Bull Rush for Psionic Weapon and then get Deep Impact at 5th from my Psion bonus feat and Greater Psionic Weapon at 7th. (Delaying shock trooper for later.)

When I combine ToB and psionics I almost always go for instant clarity and renewal. One feat lets you gain focus when you use a manuvuer while the other feat lets you regain a manuvuer when you expand focus. If you are using Untapped Potential the PrC enlighted protector has a capstone that let's you regain focus as a swift action.

Psychic Renewal is tempting for me, the main reason I'm not too excited about it is the fact that I'm playing a Warblade and not a Swordsage or Crusader. Untapped Potential is also great, but I'm going to be able to pick up Hustle as a power and have Psionic Meditation which accomplishes the same thing more times per day (but with a power point cost).

I will strongly consider both of these feats for the character if he gets to higher levels.

Rubik
2014-01-12, 06:02 PM
When I combine ToB and psionics I almost always go for instant clarity and renewal. One feat lets you gain focus when you use a manuvuer while the other feat lets you regain a manuvuer when you expand focus. If you are using Untapped Potential the PrC enlighted protector has a capstone that let's you regain focus as a swift action.I avoid feats that allow you to do things X/day unless the X is substantial and the effect is as well (or the effect is mind-blowing). Regaining your focus as a swift action 3/day really isn't worth a feat since you can do that with Hustle and Psionic Meditation as many times per day as you like, so long as you have a few extra pp available.

[edit] Dang. Swordsage'd. By the O.P. no less.

Manly Man
2014-01-12, 10:51 PM
Another idea would be to ask your DM if homebrew disciplines are allowed, since this one here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98409) would be great for even just taking Martial Stance and getting the first-level stance there. Excellent way to keep your power points high. Hell, you could argue that, being an initiator with power points, you have access to the discipline anyway, since it's otherwise a Swordsage only thing.