PDA

View Full Version : Best Moments in Character

Darkshade
2007-01-22, 03:02 AM
I didnt see a thread like this so i thought i would try to get one started...

Let's all share a few moments we either played or watched someone else play in character that really made you/them feel like more then just a combination of classes and feats and such, a defining moment if you will.
I think it would be nice to have a thread where we can all share our personal triumphs.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-22, 03:19 AM
Ariath the CE elven sorcerer (me) and Broxilin the young adult CG copper dragon.

Ariath: "Either hand over the treasure or stop pestering us with your nonsensicle jabbering."
Broxilin: "You know, I wonder how much your head would be worth if I melted it."
Ariath: "I could say the same to you..."
Broxilin: "....I like your style."

I won the dragons trust and friendship through a series of witty threats and we were bound to eachother through chaos.

Maybe nor dramatic or epic, but I really liked it.

Darkshade
2007-01-22, 03:31 AM
Kaigen the LN Half-Demon Fighter/Monk/Inuyasha guy; Jonix the CG cleric/sorcerer/Geomancer; and Captain Arantis the LE captain of the guards/buyer of magic weapon from Jonix

Captain Arantis: ok i'll give you 40k for the sword
jonix: what? are you crazy its worth 120k!!!
Captain Arantis: all i can afford is 40k
Kaigen(aside to Jonix): you've been holding on to that thing for months just take the 40k
Jonix(aside to Kaigen) no way I am gonna get at least 75k for this d*mn thing
much later...
jonix: okay 68k is a deal
captain Arantis: excellent, your gold is being stored for you in the royal vault
Jonix: umm... okay, can i just have it now?
Captain Arantis: well you see first you have to pay the registration fees to transfer ownership of the vault
Jonix: um how much is that?
Captain: 1.5k
Jonix: okay then can i have my money?
Captain: alright but you know the vault is guarded right?
jonix: yeah so?
captain: so you have to pay guards to do their job...
Jonix: how many more charges are there?
Captain: well theres making a new key, taxes, paying for transportation of the funds, guards to transport the money...
Jonix(frustrated sighing)
Kaigen(leaning forward slowly): you know as a lawful man i can understand the need for all these rules and regulations and fines... (closer)but as a free spirited chaotic individual...(yet closer) this must really p*ss you off.
Captain(DM spits soda on his notes)
Jonix(defeated): I'll just pick up my 40k at the bank
Captain(smiling): As you wish
Kaigen: I told you to just take the 40k

AngelSword
2007-01-22, 03:49 AM
Well, one of my personal favorites is with my first (and favorite) character, Azghorra Lloriyahn, elven bard extraordinaire. Our group came into this town where a half-fiend, Baileth, had either enslaved the minds of or slaughtered and zombified the townspeople. Since he was not just evil, but criminally insane, he was using the thralls/corpses to act out a play.

Intrigued, the coniving halfling rogue, Elis, and I started chatting it up with the fiend, while the rest of the group looked for clues. Unfortunately they were a bunch of incompetent morons, and gave away their position. Enraged, Baileth sent the townsfolk to attack, and battle ensued. It turned out that he was also a bard, and bolstered his minions with "Inspire Courage." Not wantng my stupid compatriates to be at a disadvantage, I followed suit.

After several rounds of combat, both Baileth and I lost focus on the battle and instead kept trying to outperform the other. Soon, the battle finished, but we did not. It took nearly a minute of battling instruments for him to botch and snap a string.

Feeling vindicated, I demanded that, since it was discovered that the people were merely dead puppets, he turn over a copy of his play to me. I've been playing it ever since (except that I hire actors, not so much for the benefit of keeping the Church of Pelor off my back, but live actors can express emotions).

Oh, man, those were the days.

blackout
2007-01-22, 05:23 AM
....The time that my party fought the Master Chief. In the Forgotten Realms. And EVERYONE DIED.
Me(mino barb/fighter): *is getting beaten up by the Chief in melee combat*
Chief: *has a freakin ENERGY SWORD*
This goes on for about ten minutes, everyone except our wizard dies.
Wizard: *KILLS THE CHIEF WITH A FIREBALL SPELL*
Chief: *drops a whole bunch of overpowered gear from Halo and Halo 2.*
...I called dibs on that sword. >:)

Manave_E_Sulanul
2007-01-22, 07:41 AM
(An officer of the town militia): Themistocles, we don't have enough men or ammo left arm the last defense cannon, We should get over there right away.

Themistocles (Myself): [He looks between his newly constructed cannon, the party which consists of himself, a halfling rogue, a warforged spellsword and a minotaur barbarian and up at the pair of dragons about to bear down upon the city] "It's alright, we're going to shoot the Minotaur out of it!"

Minotaur: What! You aren't shooting me out of your metal contraptions, Testicles!

Themistocles: [Proceeds to hand the Minotaur a ring of feather fall, a Helm of Teleportation and casting one of Otiluke's sphere's on the minotaur, who fails his will save as usual when Themistocles wants his way and roll the Minotaur in a ball into the cannon, and fires.]

Minotaur: [Grabs on to the dragon, winning an opposed grapple check and proceeds to pound the things into the tiniest pulp you ever did see with the help of some long ranged spells]

olaf
2007-01-22, 08:04 AM
Bic, the gnome barbarian, to Sara, the halfling druid, after rolling a 20 on his bluff check:

"So, you know what they say about gnomes with big noses..."

MrNexx
2007-01-22, 09:32 AM
We were playing in 2nd edition. My character was a "bard"... half-elven mage/thief with a 7 Constitution and a 6 Charisma. I also had a ring of shock grasp with command word of "Halito".

We were transporting the sword "Warwinner", a luck blade, to the Harpers when we were ambushed. Our entire party was trashed; I was down to four or five HP, the rest of the party was in similar shape. The leader of the opponents stepped forward and demanded the sword... just the sword, and we could leave. The party was in horrid shape, and we needed time, so I agreed. Took out the sword, offered him the hilt, and as he took it, simply said "Halito, (Samuel L. Jackson)."

When Con bonuses start at 15, 14 points of damage is quite a bit.

Gnifle
2007-01-22, 09:48 AM
It was a long time ago, or so it seems.

I had been the DM for a long time, and had used many of the same ideas over and over again, each time with (so I thought) a new "twist". I was about to describe a room, when one of the players interrupted and proceeded to describe the room in detail - although I hadn't said a thing. This is when I realised that you shouldn’t always use a pentagram for a summoning circle surrounded by five pillars and guarded by a stone golem.

Scipio
2007-01-22, 09:51 AM
Our party had just defeated a group of powerful mercenaries, but their tiefling wizard had escaped. During the battle, the tiefling had feebleminded the party wizard and close friend of my Cuthbertine Fighter Priest. We caught up with the tiefling a little while later, and my priest was about to kill him. The tiefling said that he had crucial information about who had hired the mercenaries. He was willing to give us the information if we let him live, and he would require an oath from my cleric to not harm him. I made the oath, because it was critical that we gain this information. After the tiefling gave us the information, he gave a very rude insult to the feebleminded wizard.

My cleric replied, "I am going to have to pray about this in the morning." Then he killed the tiefling breaking his oath.

He had to go on a side quest later on to restore his cleric powers, but it was totally worth it.

NullAshton
2007-01-22, 10:09 AM
Our party had just defeated a group of powerful mercenaries, but their tiefling wizard had escaped. During the battle, the tiefling had feebleminded the party wizard and close friend of my Cuthbertine Fighter Priest. We caught up with the tiefling a little while later, and my priest was about to kill him. The tiefling said that he had crucial information about who had hired the mercenaries. He was willing to give us the information if we let him live, and he would require an oath from my cleric to not harm him. I made the oath, because it was critical that we gain this information. After the tiefling gave us the information, he gave a very rude insult to the feebleminded wizard.

My cleric replied, "I am going to have to pray about this in the morning." Then he killed the tiefling breaking his oath.

He had to go on a side quest later on to restore his cleric powers, but it was totally worth it.

Reminds me of my lawful good rogue being tempted to light an enemy drow on flame, that had several gallons of alcohol on him.

Charity
2007-01-22, 11:50 AM
Desmond my AD&D demonologist/fighter setting adrift the rest of the party, and following them at a distance, watching the Paladin eat his mount, and the ranger eat sailors.
So much for their principles.
Or maybe sinking their lifeboats 30 miles from shore so they had to abandon all their kit..

Or maybe when he persuaded the Magic user over to the dark side with his staff of withering, suck up those age bonuses baby.

Oooh I do evil so well

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-22, 11:56 AM
So we were wandering around in the wilderness for no real purpose but to get a random encounter so we could level up (we were all so close!) and we stumbled across a member of the local militia. He yells out, "Halt! Who goes there?" in typical militia gurad style.

Our rogue, without batting an eye, says, "We're a rampaging horde of Terrasques!" Then goes about making Terrasque noises.

Needless to say, the guard was not amused, so we killed him.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-22, 12:24 PM
My human rogue's post-bender in a dwarven city, hands down.
First, he woke up in the strewn remains of a table, with a naked dwarf clutching his leg.
Fortunately, she was female.
Unfortunately, the one cuddling up to her? Not so much.
After he went back to the inn, he ran into the paladin, who asked him what on Arthanelas (game world) happened. As he walks past to nab an apple, he says totally nonchalantly "I'm bisexual, apparently."
After that he heads out (hung over) to find an illegal streetfighting ring so he can fight (he was paranoid about how weak he was physically, always tried to find ways to train himself), and ends up rolling a nat. 1 on his Gather Info check.
As it turned out, he went and asked a nearby constable about underground fighting rings.
That prompted him to say what almost became a catchphrase:
"...I have got to stop drinking. Tomorrow."
As it turned out, he failed so hard he came out on the other side (a member of the streetfighters happened to see him ask the constable, came out, and smacked him on the back of the head), and he went to the streetfighters.
First he goes up against a kobold and brings it down in one hit. Almost killed it, which was not his intent.
Then he gets set up against a gargoyle-(I was second level.)
He get mauled, but manages to bluff the gargoyle into thinking he has holy power (Celestial speaker)...immediately before it claws him in the face and drops him.
He's reawoken with his head held underwater by the dwarf, waking him up. He loses about 250 gold total from his wager and a "finder's fee" from the dwarf.
Later he's talking with the paladin, saying that he "likes to think he's good at staying alive, but encounters with spiders, ghosts, and rock creatures" have told him otherwise.
Paladin: "Well, we'll help you get stronger, and prote--wait, rock creatures?"
She hadn't heard about his misadventure. And she dragged it out of him and scolded him. It was hysterical.

Indoril
2007-01-22, 12:56 PM
This wasn't my character, but it was a friend's character in my campaign.

Culwen Scryer, the human rogue, was busy pickpocketing around at the local arena while one of the other party members took on a beholder or something. He ended up getting a signet ring of some local noble (I later named him Count Moc De Williger De Honc). Well earlier in the campaign as a small story aspect Culwen was given a "Quill of Forgery" (+5 Magical bonus to Forgery checks when using it as a writing instrument) and already had about 7 ranks in the skill, plus an Int modifier of like 3.

Culwen re-picked the same noble, and managed to nab a letter he was carryinbg about taxes or something (the content was unimportant). Culwen took these three things and successfully forged a bank note written and signed in the Count's hand entitling him to all the Count's money.

Culwen went to a local mage and bought a Scroll of Greater Dispelling. He went to the bank, hid behind a column and waited until no one was around and cast the Greater Dispelling on the area of the clerk's desk. He then cast Change Self on himself to make himself look like the Count, walked over to the desk (which no longer had a Zone of Truth or Detect Lies on it), handed the bank note to the clerk and walked out with a wheelbarrow full of somewhere in the range of 500,000 gold.

For the rest of the campaign, I didn't put any banks in any of my towns.

AngelSword
2007-01-22, 02:04 PM
This wasn't my character, but it was a friend's character in my campaign.

Culwen Scryer, the human rogue, was busy pickpocketing around at the local arena while one of the other party members took on a beholder or something. He ended up getting a signet ring of some local noble (I later named him Count Moc De Williger De Honc). Well earlier in the campaign as a small story aspect Culwen was given a "Quill of Forgery" (+5 Magical bonus to Forgery checks when using it as a writing instrument) and already had about 7 ranks in the skill, plus an Int modifier of like 3.

Culwen re-picked the same noble, and managed to nab a letter he was carryinbg about taxes or something (the content was unimportant). Culwen took these three things and successfully forged a bank note written and signed in the Count's hand entitling him to all the Count's money.

Culwen went to a local mage and bought a Scroll of Greater Dispelling. He went to the bank, hid behind a column and waited until no one was around and cast the Greater Dispelling on the area of the clerk's desk. He then cast Change Self on himself to make himself look like the Count, walked over to the desk (which no longer had a Zone of Truth or Detect Lies on it), handed the bank note to the clerk and walked out with a wheelbarrow full of somewhere in the range of 500,000 gold.

For the rest of the campaign, I didn't put any banks in any of my towns.

Ah, I love it when smart people play rogues. :nale:

illyrus
2007-01-22, 02:27 PM
From the current campaigns I'm playing in:

Character 1:
This character was a changling that had lived as a gnoll girl all her life with her changling parents (they were hiding from a group they had ticked off) and was a vermin druid(Child of Winter). She hadn't really been around humans much at all and so to travel in disguise she would take of the form of the last human she had killed. She currently looked like a 30 year old bald man.

She was introduced to the session having come upon the party as they finished killing goblins. After a moment when the greetings had nearly turned to hostilities, she entered the camp, pointed at a dead goblin, and said matter-of-factly "Are you going to eat that?". It set the tone for her character, weird and a bit creepy without realising that she was. This was a departure for me from characters that had a moral/ethical center I could personally relate to and the statement allowed me to start her off on the right foot for roleplay.

Character 2:
We were about to interrogate a prisoner that was part of an assassination team that had successfully killed one of the PCs. In our games interrogation of evil people tended to be brutal bone breaking affairs. I wanted to do something different as it fit with my character but didn't want to just do a facinate/suggestion combo. My character cast glibness outside the room with the prisoner(with that and skill ranks he was sitting at a +50 bluff check) well out of sight and earshot. He then walked in calmly with a cheery expression, unwound his spiked chain from around his armor and laid it on the table, followed by his 2 whips, as well as a few other "tools of the trade".

He then pulled a chair over and began to talk cheerly to the NPC. I varied the tone of what I was saying to put more meaning into it as a spoke. "Hello and greetings, I would ask your name but I'm sure you be telling it to me later when I ask for it. It would be rude for me not to introduce myself; I have been called many things in the heat of torture, but the one that I've latched on to as it defines my speciality, is Soulflayer. These tools I've laid on the table are those used by amateurs, hardly what you would call real torture devices. Now I'm sure you've been hardened against such physical torture, and I'm thankful for that, as it will give me a chance to at least warm up before you break. It's so boring after they've broken, it is that moment right up until that, when their will is at its limit, that is truely rewarding and enjoyable to me."

"I don't really plan to ask any questions during, afterwords I can ask whatever I need to and you'll tell me. My employeer said that if there is anything you wish to say before it began, then you were to say it now. It might influence him to prevent me from touching you, but I highly suggest against it. I think it shows a true test of someone's character how long they can hold out under torture and I'd really be quite put out if you said anything now. So please, don't ruin this for me; let me enjoy this."

The prisoner told us everything right then and there. My character was full of hot air, he abhored torture but was willing to pull this ruse to try to save the assassin from brutal interrogation. It was a defining moment for my character as it set the tone of what he was willing to do versus bluff about doing. There was more of a dialogue to all of this that doesn't transcribe well to text. I know I had done a decent job when the PCs and DM commented on that it freaked them out a little.

Diggorian
2007-01-22, 03:24 PM
I played an Aasimar paladin (Corrain) in a 3.0 Greyhawk campaign. The good old king we served made a pact with the baron of a reclusive neighbor to fight the evil lord they both bordered. The DM liked big encounters beyond our level so the baron would often join our party.

Baron Arkily was one of those plot guide NPCs who questioned my code whenever I made choices he determined a paladin wouldnt make (those that veered from the DM's plans). I did Detect Evil on him twice a session average, but got nothing and he wore no magical amulets.

Arkily (DM): "Knight, why did you slay every last bugbear? One may have had good intel for us."
Corrain (Me): "Remember when I asked them to stand down at the start and they shrugged and chuckled at me in their language before the wizard hit me with a Lightning bolt? I dont think they understood Common."
*DM remembers this, but covers up his slip*
Arkily: "I didnt know the god of chivalry was so blood thirsty, paladin."

After some raiders were defeated and captured ...

Arkily: "We need to ... 'interrogate' these scum. Take a walk Corrain."
Corrain: "I know what you mean; I'm not letting you torture them."
Arkily: "Mind your rank. Baron still outweighs paladin, paladin."

The old good king joins us against an evil dragon. We kill it but it 'mortally wounds' the king who confirms out of nowhere that the Baron is his estranged son!!! Arkily becomes king, we work for him now. :smallmad:

Several big missions split the party up. The PC elf ranger, whose player played him chaotic stupid, returns to King Arkily first with drunken report of his failure. "The wine soothes my failure at disappointing you, human king." said sarcastic. Arkily kills him. :smalleek:

Corrain returns to find his ally dead and bursts into the king's war conference with Arkily's top (high level) generals (fighters) and advisors (sorcerors/clerics) with the other PC's backing him.

Corrain steps up onto the map table and draws his greatsword, Justice Harbinger: "King Arkily of Furyondy, I charge you with murder."
Arkily: "A king cant murder, fool! My will is law, there is none higher!"
Corrian draws his holy symbol: "I know one higher."

Charges down the map table and actually smites evil. Big fight erupts, NPCs choose sides. I kill Arkily since he wasnt fully healed from his fight with the ranger. I'm arrested but divinations prove me just. Arkily had a ring of Nondection, not amulet.

The DM didnt run anymore, saying the kingdom would split with civil war and the evil lord would destroy us. Luckily we took turns behind the screen in the group, so no one minded his retirement. The next DM (the ranger's player) had me marry Arkily's Paris Hilton-like daughter to avert the war. :smallamused:

Folie
2007-01-22, 05:46 PM
My halfling rogue's finest moment was had just last session, when the party was hired to help evacuate this coastal settlement that was getting attacked by a bunch of necromantic cultist types. By the time our ship got their got there (it's a pirate campaign), the attack was in full swing. The captain - let's call him "Cappy" - is a rather domineering fellow, and he decided that we couldn't risk dropping anchor. So he ordered us to sail away, firing off a few parting shots at the enemy ships.

My character, Marigold, was strongly against this course of action. Her family had been slaughtered in a similar attack, so she kinda has this thing about not wanting to abandon people who are about to be massacred. Cappy, who thinks that Marigold is kinda whiny because she questions his judgment, ignored her protests and sailed on. Now, Marigold and Cappy have butted heads before, and Marigold has always backed down and went along with his orders. But this time was different.

As the ship pulled out of the bay, Cappy was preoccupied by shouting orders and therefore wasn't paying attention to Marigold. She therefore took advantage of his distraction and jumped off the side of the ship; she planned to swim to shore and snipe at the attackers by herself. I fully expected that Marigold would be left to die a martyr's death, and that I would have to roll up a new character. Fortunately, Cappy realized that he should probably help her out, so he dropped anchor on a nearby secluded beach so that he and the rest of the party could come and kick some cultist butt. The group then had a great fight outside the settlement's fort, thereby giving both soldiers and civilians the chance to escape out the back door and into the mountains.

Matthew
2007-01-22, 06:40 PM
Sounds like Marigold is finally standing up to that Halfling hating jerk. Good for her!

Tough_Tonka
2007-01-22, 08:08 PM
While battling the final creature in a one game campaign, my friends character a dull half-orc barbarian by the name of Rocco was slain; he died in an effort to save me by distracting a follower of the Lord of Blades who was cutting me to ribbons. After we recieve the payment from our employer and divded up the loot I decided to spend all my earnnings and sell several of my possesoins, incluing a masterwork mandilin, in order to buy a diamond and gold left over to get him reserected.

Akennedy
2007-01-22, 10:40 PM
We just finished infiltrating the weretiger's house and stole some book and a vial of blood in his dresser-like thing
3 Party Members
Elwynn - Whisper Gnome Rogue
Milo - Human Ranger
Character X (forget his name) - Humie Rogue

He just finished taking both X and Milo to zero and they knock themselves out while of the roof conectted to the walls of the city with the wall and Elwynn just grappling hook'd a rope up there and dodge'd the AoO (barely) and double timed it up the rope. The tiger shouted up to Elwynn,
"If you want to end up dead like your friends, gnome, get down here!" as he ripped down the rope leaving the grappling hook up stuck on the walls.
The weretiger looks up at the walls, searching for the gnome... he begins to walk away from the bodies and as he is about to jump off the edge of the building, there's a *thunk* of a grappling hook bouncing off the weretiger's and a faint *pidder padder, pidder padder* of gnome's feet running it's little bum off...

Ahh - I love gnomes - and halflings for that matter :P

HeinleinFan
2007-01-23, 12:01 AM
The defining moment for one character I've played with, Elwen (last name forthcoming), a CG elven rogue who was far more chaotic than good, was the night she was attacked. The DM (not me) was setting up our BBEG who we'll kill later, and at this point Elwen was about 6th or 7th level with too many magic items, an awakened guard dog, and a penchant for high-DC poisons.

The BBEG's ally had been killed two missions before, and as a high-level blue wyrm, he had the funds to put a price on the players' heads. So: Elwen goes to the local tavern to do her nightly sleight-of-hand checks (Performance! Performance! Not pickpocketing, which she reserved for party members.) and a "fan" comes up, offers to take her out to dinner.

She refused (the player was getting suspicious), so the fellow comes back the next night and, quite charmingly, offers her a bottle of fine wine to celebrate her stunning performance. She'd rolled a natural 19, so she was amenable, and pretended to drink the wine. Two fort saves later, she had all of 3 Con left and about 10 HP.

She fled to a local temple (can't remember which one) with her guard dog at her side. He tracked her there and eventually attacked, only to be fended off. That was the day that she had healed almost to full, so the various poisons that he had left on her boots weren't appreciated. She ran back to her apartment to collect her weapons and everything, then began to track him down. The scent ended at an abandoned-looking warehouse.

At this point, she turned out the town guard. They went in first, of course - civic duty and whatnot - and the first one set off a dart trap. Died. The second one set off a blade trap. Beheaded. So she pushes in ahead of them, finds the escape route out, sets off another trap, and uses the poison from that dart (she dodged) to coat her rapier. Then she went back to the temple to raise the guardsmen.

Defining moment: she discovered charity. Of a sort.

One Levitation Potion later, she was tracking the assassin over the city rooftops, finally arriving at his balcony with her guard dog in her arms. She proceeded to get poisoned once more while entering, but the assassin died rather violently in his sleep, and she proceeded to loot. Names and locations of thieves' guilds, who hired him, and about a dozen kinds of poisons, et cetera.

At that point, she went back to the guardsmen and reported everything that she had done - including taking the poisons. In effect, she has official permission from the town guard to use any poison not dealing Con damage within the city limits, as long as no one complains.

The charity idea has grown over the missions. Last adventure, after a humongous payoff, she decided to use her wealth to construct a university and vocational training school for the poverty-stricken people of the town - some 145,000 gp worth. It really became a part of her character -- as important, if not more so, as her moniker (Lady of the Stars) and signature armor (just a high Dex and protective magic).

TheEvilComputerNerd
2007-01-23, 12:10 AM
This wasn't me, but a friend of mine who told me about it.

My friend's (Thor) halfing Bard was attending a gladiator event his fellow party members were in. He wasn't going to enter because his mandolin was currently being repaired and his combat skills were'nt all that useful. Thor was new to the RPG group, so the other guys hazed him by entering him into the team events with them. It was a binding contract, no way out, so Thor enters into the arena fully expecting to just hide in the corner. Out comes multiple flying beasts, I forget what exactly, but him with his rapier and broken mandolin can't do much besides use his bluff and tumble skill to entertain the crowd. And the crowd is really enjoying him, as he makes it look like he's actually fighting, tumbling onto his party member's shoulders and swinging at the sky, dodging around as the beasts swoop down at him, all that fun stuff.

So when they finally kill the last of the beasts, and it comes falling out of the sky, he rolls a nat 20 for a tumble check and jumps off another PC ONTO the beast, then rolls another bluff nat 20 to pretend HE killed the beast while riding on it's back. He lands to applause and cheering and the other PC's are dumbstruck. Thor was actually awarded the "Gladiator of the Year" award or something to that effect, an extra 50% prize money, and a special amulet that gave him +4 to STR and CON. He kept it, just to spite the fighters who got him into that mess :smallsmile:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-23, 12:37 AM
Gestalt game, our first encounter (used by the DM to gage our strength as a team). Everyone was level 1 with very basic gear. I was a fighter//rogue. We faced an Ankheg. I got a terrible initiative roll, so got to go next to last.

The rest of the party (four of them) go to fight the Ankheg and stumble over poor tactics and provoking AoO. Their attacks are pretty pitiful and all of them fail to cause it any damage. After the Ankheg takes it's turn and nearly finishes off one of us, it's my turn. I decide that I'm not going out like that, hell no. I run up to the Ankheg, tumble under it, catch it flanked and flat-footed on the other side of it, critical, and take off half it's health with a sneak attack. The rest of the party is absolutely amazed at my battle prowess. I was quite proud of myself for making a wise decision and doing something so cool.

Then the paladin//sorcerer uses a charging True Strike'd greatsword swing and finishes it without trying.

Really, I wish all of our stats weren't insanely high sometimes because of that. Otherwise his MAD would've prevented him from doing that sort of thing to every encounter we had.

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 12:39 AM
once upon a time me and some friends were playing in a long running module campaign where the lazy dm just used Dungeon modules and such, I was playing a half-dragon half orc barbarian Aurix, we had an Elven Wizard Josuay, a human monk Andaru (who wanted to be a brother of the... something or other, those werewolf people from the wheel of time, he happened to have been bitten by a werewolf one the second day of the campaign and then didnt want to be one because it would change his alignment), and a human paladin named chuck
, we were around 5th level at the time
when we played some module whos name i cannot remember but i hope someone recognizes it anyway...

we wenter town, its desolate and empty and wed travelled all day so we head to the abandoned inn and sleep... about halfway through the night the elf wakes up from his meditations because he hears strange noises outside, he goes and looks out the window to see a parade of skeletons dancing down the street towards a small castle thingy, he then succesfully makes a will save against the effects. Next he walks over to the sleeping party and wakes up the paladin who goes and looks out the window then fails his save and starts trying to dance towards the skeletons then falls out the window. then the elf goes and wakes up my barbarian and takes me to the window where i fail my save and fall out the window, then the mage goes back and wakes up the monk who fails his save and falls out the window, then the elven mage goes back to sleep!!! (the Player had to leave... us in a bind)

now after falling out of the window we all got a 2nd save, my barbarian and the monk saved succesfully... the paladin did not
we watched as he danced down and joined the parade, we knew we had to find out what was going on so... we danced right up to that parade of skeletons and danced towards the castle with them, then we got antsy and decided to try and wake the paladin up, but shaking him didnt help... so we punched him a few times... that didnt help so we punched him some more... then he lost consciousness completely..... then the dancing skeletons picked him up and started dance/carrying him towards the castle... what could we do but dance along with them, now noticing that they were dance/carrying some other things too. when we got past the castle gates we saw some of the skeletons dance/carry bags of gold into the next room and pile them together... at that point we took a little break and i got up and demonstrated exactly waht was running through my mind, i started sort of dance/hopping like an idiot (at which point the gang started singing you can dance if you want to) and i hopped over to the corner, leaned over and pretended to pick up two huge bags of gold, then dance/carried them back to the table... but after much thought and realizing that the life of the paladin was a LITTLE bit more important then gold right this minute my barbarian and the monk moved under the paladin and started to try and dance/carry him backwards out of the castle. after a little while some honcho guy noticed what was going on and ordered the door shut i managed to grab the paladin and get the heck out before the doors closed but the monk didnt... he got out okay though he got knocked out then went werewolf on them and escaped, we found him in the woods later, that was such a great meeting.

Darkshade
2007-01-23, 12:45 AM
in a later meeting of the same campaign, with different characters except for mine there were too great things that happened

1 the belltower incident, my barbarian was going to go to the top of the mysterious belltower in town taken over by gnolls and work his way down killing all the opponents, but the halfling mage suggested i just cut down the bells and let them go crashing through the place... so I went up top killed a couple gargoyles then dropped them bells, after taking 30 minutes to figure out just what happened the 4 huge iron bells ended up taking out most of the support structure for the building and bringing the whole thing down, killing the gnolls, the lone captive they had, and burying all the treasure and loot. After that the halfing got real mad and i said hey you told me to do it, his response was... "You shouldn't do what I tell you to do!!!"

2) the first meeting of the whole campaign was just me and a halfling rogue who was played by the same guy who would later play the paladin... anyway we work our way through the module and finally get to the end boss, a mindflayer!!! it ends up grappling the halfling and it was 3.0 at the time and we were a little confused about the rules so when i went up to slay the thing power attacking and rageing for all i was worth we rolled a 25% chance that i hit the halfling... which I did... flat out killed him... then I did something truly mean... I cleaved off of my dead party member into the monster and felled him as well.

Ravyn
2007-01-23, 12:46 AM
Last Exalted session, my little Air Aspect martial artist was on top of the world.

She'd picked up the pieces of this staff that the last Anathema we fought had dropped in order to take them to someone to get them ID'd.... well, let's just say the staff was a little possessed. By Someone that by rights should probably have eaten her for breakfast. Takes her a little while to realize just what she's up against, so her inner self, when the Voice Inside the Staff asks who she is and where the previous owner is, starts with "Who wants to know?" Gets told she'll find out soon enough and not to drop the staff... under normal circs, any of my characters would've dropped it. But Tuyet's a spy first and foremost, this thing's probably ID'd her by now, she wants to know who she's talking to and is used to dealing with people with his kind of approach, and she's pretty high confidence from what she did to the last guy she fights, so she doesn't drop it, and instead treats him to a heavy dose of her usual quick wit and razor tongue. ...apparently she made a favorable impression. It shouldn't have worked. It should never have worked. But... apparently it did.

So she comes out of this, and a few minutes later we're set upon by Guild assassins. Not very good ones at that--and they specifically want her. And by this time, she's pretty sure she could take on just about anything, never mind a couple pathetic mortals, so she intimidates four out of five of 'em into running off, then pins the last one to the wall with her chakram and knocks him out.

...and then manages to do a not-half-shabby job of questioning him, revealing among other things the intimidation value of a activated elemental wreath on a weapon. Never even had to touch him (ostensibly trying not to for the benefit of one of her teammates, who she has been convincing that she doesn't really enjoy manipulating people. Her hinting to him that he should leave the room probably helped with the intimidation factor.) Now, I'm way too nice for most of my characters, so pulling that off, particularly after all that awesome, just made my day.

Arlanthe
2007-01-23, 07:17 AM
I was DMing a game once where one of the players was a half-orc fighter, of the axe and hack variety. He had a passible intelligence of 10, and so wasn't prone to dumb comments or syupid actions.

The players were busting up some very nefarious deeds in the back room of a rather large inn (they had snuck in), and one of the perpetrators sealed off the back exit, and proceded to head to his horse at the side of the building. The half-orc, covered in blood, runs howling and screaming into the main tavern area where he stops in his tracks to see dozens of people watching his gore covered body in stunned silence (and who are unaware that anything is going on).

"Uh... I'm helping!" he yells, and then jumps through a glass window out of the tavern toward the stables.

It must have looked really weird from their perspective.

Nahal
2007-01-23, 09:36 AM
Every time my GM swears because I figured out something before we're supposed to, or an NPC rolls really badly against me (a common occurrence, enough to be a running gag) I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I also take pride in the fact that I can miss a session and my GM can use my character while I'm gone to provide hints on how to get out of messes our resident capt. moron gets us into, since I'm usually the one who figures out what the heck is going on with the overall plot (and solves the puzzles, hence my tendency to play high-INT characters). It's not smarter than the other players, I just know how the GM thinks.

waspsmakejam
2007-01-24, 08:44 PM
This conversation happened while I was GM-ing.

The party are discussing whether to cross the Troll Moors or find another way to their destination ...

Elf wizard to rest of party: "So, why can't we go that way?"
Party: "Erm ... Troll Moors? Full of, erm, trolls?"
Elf wizard: "Well we can kill the trolls!"
Party: "Erm ... there's hundreds and hundreds of trolls?"
Elf wizard: "Oh come on, it'll only take us a few hundred years"

Darkshade
2007-01-26, 01:12 AM
In a loosely Dragonlance based campaign (before the Dragonlance setting book was released) our party was on the run from the bad dragon guys, we were shacked up with a band of resistance fighters, elves riding griffons. We had a small pale so very raistlin like fire mage, a big buff holy questing cleric of paladine, and my half-celestial monk of paladine.
the dm wanted us to have to run and leave the area we were trying to protect to get on with his plot, so he sent a wing of dragonriders after us.
as we all watched their approach our cleric cast a single spell which would turn the tide of teh entire battle, righteous wrath of the faithful. he simply asked, "does anyone here worship paladine?" to which the answer was yes of course almost all of them, griffons included... the 3.0 version of the spell then made myself, the cleric and almost everyone else in the camp grow a size category and get better in awesome ways at which poinjt our mage responded, "did someone cast reduce on me and i didnt get a save?" after that we trounced the 6 dragons coming at the camp and celebrated our wondrous victory

Roderick_BR
2007-01-26, 05:06 AM
My favorite one: I was playing a dwarven cleric. The rest of my group was playing several combatant types.
We faced the BBEG, and he and his cohort was beating us.
At some time I got angry and used Anti-magic zone (a self-centered area effect).
Me: Alright. Now your magic weapons won't work.
BBEG: So do yours. And worse, you can't cast spells.
Me: But you forget one thing: I have 3 more fighters at my side...

I think he didn't last one round of multiple hits and AoO from opportunist moves;

clericwithnogod
2007-01-26, 08:21 AM
We were playing back in a 3.0 campaign and our group, both in and out of character, had been together for a long enough time that we started wanting a little more permanency in regard to our place in the world.

We had just completed a mission that involved defeating something that was residing in a small, well-designed, tower that had the perfect number of bedrooms to serve as a group headquarters. We had the right to any treasure obtained in the mission, so we decided that the tower made a nice chunk of loot.

Upon going back to our sponser, we explained that we were claiming the tower as ours and that we would be placing some items and such there, with our secondary characters to watch over them, and would appreciate it if he recognized our claim and left the tower and it's contents alone (which we would have gradually ensured with salvaged traps, treasure, magical protections and such).

Our cleric made the diplomacy pitch (quite well), and the sponsor readily agreed. But, my sense motive check detected that he was lying. (I'm not sure the DM really liked the idea, or at least hadn't really thought it through as we did all this in a rush at the end of the encounter/story arc.)

My half-orc rogue/barbarian/fighter drew his greatsword and sundered the desk behind which the sponsor was sitting into a shower of splinters in one blow, adding a nice circumstance bonus to his intimidate check for which he rolled a 20. The sense motive on the sponsor's rapid reaffirmation of his agreement checked out, and we had a new HQ.

We didn't use it much, as we travelled around all the time, but it was ours.

Darkshade
2007-01-26, 10:27 PM
oh the fun of having a headquarters, in our first DM campaign my group ran, which went from 2nd level to 42nd level in about two years of playing it usually twice a week, a lot more during spring breaks, wat around 16th level we went to an old run down castle in FR dragonspire or something like that, the in the FRCS that looks like a demonic hand reaching up into the skies. we cleared out the mega evil baddies and we took the tower as our home, we set up the central tower as a team headquarters and we each took one of the adjoined surrounding towers as our own, we then spent two meetings rebuilding and refurbishing that tower. Then we decided we needed something a little extra, so I went looking and found a high level Wu Jen (3.0 OA) to come in and make a permanent Servant Horde in each of the towers. Around 30th level my main character and my back up character joined forces to open a bar in one of the towers and linked it via portals to the city of union. my back up character, a dwarven tank (fighter/survivor/devoted defender/dwarven defender) became the bartender and my main character, a human rogue (rogue/bayushi deciever/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade/Ninja Crescent Moon/Temple Raider Olidamarra/Epic Infiltrator/Perfect Wight) became the hostess.

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-27, 05:24 AM
My knight holds the title for best in character moment.

He went to a play, and had a wonderful time. It was a bit lewd, full of innuendo and double entendres(horribly misspelled), but he enjoyed it.

Later as he discussed it witht he party.

Knight: And then he threatened to churnher butter with his broomstick! Haha, it'd be full of dust bunnies and straw!
Party:...What?
Knight: Don't you get it? The broomstick would get into the churn and-
Cleric: Umm...are you familiar with innuendo?
Knight: Yes, I am quite skilled at it.
Cleric: What about...what about child birth?
Knight: Oh, simple! Well, when the man and woman are married her belly begins to swell with milk and her body adjusts to suit her new role as a mother. Then after nine months, when the mother is full of milk, a baby is delivered to the loving couple.
Party: 0_o *o* ^o^
Mage: Actually *whispers in ear*
Knight: Oh! So the broomstick is a PENIS!

Everyone had a great laugh around the table.

On a side note, my knight has a int and wis of 13. The problem is that he was taught most of what he knows by his uncle, who loves to play practical jokes.

Brauron
2007-01-27, 08:22 AM
A new person joined our group, and we met their character, a "Pirate" (Rogue with Swim and Profession (Sailor) as class skills -- my DM has a house rule, your first character with him has to be a class and race from the PHB) in a bar. My raging alcoholic of a barbarian challenges him to a drinking contest, and loses. Barely. The rule was the last person still in their chair won. The pirate passed out and hit the floor mere seconds after I did. An hour and a half later, when we woke up, my barbarian looked over at him and said, "That was impressive...best two out of three?"

Raenef
2007-01-27, 12:38 PM
One of my favorite moments was when i took my LE Elf IllusionistWizard (who cross classed Bluff, Perform: Acting, and diplomacy) Took out the pesky Cleric who kept on questioning my Actions. After waiting for him patiently in an alley way waiting for him to pass. I did my routine of spells ( greater invisilibility, etc. etc) and managed to kill him with in a few moments before he knew what had taken place. Of course the player was Angry beyond all normal comprehension since none of the party members where around to help. I came out of invisibility, and with a nice touch of Eagle's Splendor, i came out crying my eyes out screaming sweet justice to who did this evil deed. Bluff Check + Acting Check + Super pump up Cha = Success!. The villagers that witness his death, just believed me and helped me drag his body into a nearby hut.
There I cast Trap the soul, saying to those who witness it, it was a way to save his soul, so that it would be resurrected later. Villages with a high spellcraft? nah dosen't happen in a farming village. So there i left with the cleric's soul in my pocket and the villages and party none the wiser.

To add to the end of this story..
The rock was launched into the Astral Plane in no particular disregard as to what direction or where exactly, after i got my gate spell. Oh poor poor Gerad.. i wonder where is your soul is now? :D

Moral of the story? Always cross-class bluff and diplomacy, you never know how useful those things really are :P

Diggorian
2007-01-27, 01:08 PM
Piratey ... :smallbiggrin:

I played a 'Sea Ranger' in this Freeport game. The melee-heavy party was protecting a ship carrying some ancient relic salvaged from the sea floor.

WE, ofcourse get invaded by about a bunch of Sahaugin climbing up the sides. While we fight from forecastle to midships; another sneaks up the stern, breaks into the captain's cabin, kills the cabin boy, and steals the relic.

After the main fight, we see the thief standing on the back rail hefting the relic Legend of Zelda-style gurgle-laughing at us before backflipping into the waves.

Ranger (Me): "Let's get'em!!!"
Barbarian PC: "Uh ... I cant swim good, I think my armor's too heavy."
Ranger: "Weren't you a pirate your whole life?"
Sea Gypsy swashbuckler: "I dont have any Swim, and STR isnt my strong suit. *giggle* They should make a feat swim finesse for swim so I can ... "
Ranger: "WHAT!?!"
He turns to the Jack Sparrow-rip-off rogue who only shrugs.

I dive after it alone and close a good distance before it spots me. It starts to go deeper. The rogue, who I think was tiffed at me for being 'mean', reminded the DM I'd taken claw damage in the fight and was bleeding in the water. The sahaugin prudently stows the relic before turning on me in a blood frenzy. :smallconfused: (yeah, rules botch)

New initiaitive, I win. Ranger takes the shortsword out of his mouth and goes total defense. Monster claws me a few times. My go, I improved grapple it with empty offhand, stab with shortsword main hand. A couple of lucky crits and his being my favored enemy let me kill it and get to the surface right before my air ran out ... with the relic.

DM just gave me a whole level.:smallbiggrin:

clericwithnogod
2007-01-27, 01:27 PM
Around 30th level my main character and my back up character joined forces to open a bar in one of the towers and linked it via portals to the city of union. my back up character, a dwarven tank (fighter/survivor/devoted defender/dwarven defender) became the bartender and my main character, a human rogue (rogue/bayushi deciever/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade/Ninja Crescent Moon/Temple Raider Olidamarra/Epic Infiltrator/Perfect Wight) became the hostess.

I have some degree of envy over this... I was trying to get a bar open at some point, but the campaign ended before I could.

The dwarf fighter in our current group has getting a pub running as one of his long-term goals. I'd like to see it happen, as when the campaign(s) end and we start a new party it would be nice to do it with a bit of closure, with our characters tucked away in their other interests. Of course this would also leave the door open to an occasional one-off adventure or run through a module occasionally, which would be nice because this, much like the HQ group is exceptionally good.

Darkshade
2007-01-27, 08:59 PM
yeah that bar was fantastic, it never made money but that was okay cuz we were epic and filthy rich.

anyway this happend once when i was DMing an evil campaign, my friend charls was playing a red wizard of thay (3.0) with a 3 strength score. The whole party was evil and was having a meeting with a contact in a bar. Then a pair of Harper agents walked in, a cleric and a paladin. everyone rolled initiative and the paladin went first demanding the evil cleric guy surrender(they were following him specifically). The red mage went next he got up and walked past the paladin to the bar entrance. I jumped for joy proclaiming you provoke an AoO, and charls just leaned in and said "from a paladin who has no reason to see me as a threat or even know that i am evil" i just stammered for a second then sighed and said the paladin lets you pass. Then Charls continued, "excellent once I reach the door I turn around and cast hold person on him"

those harpers got pOwned

Arlanthe
2007-01-28, 05:03 PM
(rogue/bayushi deciever/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade/Ninja Crescent Moon/Temple Raider Olidamarra/Epic Infiltrator/Perfect Wight)

Dang what was the XP penalty on that?

Douglas
2007-01-28, 05:39 PM
Probably nothing, as I'm fairly sure every one of those classes except rogue is a PrC, and they don't count for XP penalties.

Darkshade
2007-01-28, 08:57 PM
exactly, but i think i left out a class or two, i cant find the final version of the character at 42nd level just the old 33rd level one and a 28th level one, i know i got my caster level up high enough for Stowaway spell, i just dont remember how.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-28, 11:57 PM
One of my PC's tonight did some incredible roleplaying, both accidentally and on purpose. He's been a neutral character from the start, but he doesn't play it like someone who chooses moderate decisions mostly- he constantly performs the extremes of BOTH alignments, from heroic sacrifice to cold-blooded murder (please, no alignment arguments. My group agrees that makes him neutral, so in my campaign, he's neutral). Anyway, he "instinctively" attacked the god of roads and got himself cursed for what would have amounted to the murder of an unarmed old man, if that old man didn't happen to actually be a god. So he was cursed to wander the roads for eternity. He starts pleading with the god to be released from the curse as he finds that no matter where he travels, he and his party is continuously displaced to somewhere different. So he starts praying and making sacrifices and yelling out to the gods, who remain silent.

The party themselves are really roleplaying against him for his terrible decision that in effect cursed them all. They more or less entirely disowned him, and started making prayers to let them out of the curse, but leave the guilty player behind. The guilty player became more and more repentant, but still spent days wandering from road to road, seeing nothing. He eventually prayed to the god to release his companions from the curse and leave him.

So, down the next road they come to, they find an ancient dock with a single broken-down shack near it. The rest of the group was going to continue on and hope they happened upon a way to break the curse, but the guilty PC had another idea- he'd sneak out of the group and go towards the shack himself, thus lifting their curse. He goes off and enters the shack.

The inside is deathly cold, and eventually he finds a log that tells him that despite the age of everything around there, people still came to the dock at least once a year. A dock keeper found him and mistook him for a "client". He asked him to sit down and explain where he came from and what he was taking with him. The PC quickly realized he was talking to a ghost that hadn't left that very shack in centuries. He was starting to get a little scared when he heard that the true "clients" were on their way in, and the player asked the dock keep to not mention that he was in there while he went to hide.

Apparently, a ship had come by carrying a bunch of large boxes and a couple extremely rare regents- all of them had the word blood in them. The PC started putting two and two together when the sailor mentioned how the boxes smelled and their very specific instructions not to open the boxes until they reached dry land, and jumped out of his hiding place to explain that the sailor was unknowingly transporting vampires and the dock keeper was a ghost.

The PC then went outside to find the sailor's crew slaughtered, being dragged back into a hidden cave. Inside the cave, a collection of vampires were using tons of samples of rare and deadly plants along with huge piles of rotting corpses in some sort of magical incantation. The player tried to stop them, but didn't manage enough damage to interrupt them. Their spell was cast.

Meanwhile, the other PC's quickly realized that they were actually getting somewhere on the road, like their curse was lifted. A little bit ahead of them was some small town according to some signs. They went to find the guilty player and couldn't find him, realizing he was missing. They had a long chat together about the merits of leaving him behind, when they all then started discussing how wrong it was to leave him behind like that. So after a heartful argument, they all decided to head back and search for him.

They arrived just in time to see a flesh construct rise out of the ground, with the guilty PC standing right in front of it, swords drawn. Together, the party managed to defeat the construct and it's vampire summoners and save the single poor sailor that was left. Back in the docks, the dock keeper's soul was finally set free and left. When the lone sailor asked for help getting to the nearest town, the guilty PC agreed, but said they might not see one for a long time.

A little later down the road, an old man walks beside their wagon and whistles out for the sailor to come follow him, as he knows a quicker way to get to town. The two of them walk off into the distance and vanish. When they do, the players find themselves at the town they'd been searching for, finally. As for the guilty PC, he made a vow right then that he'd never again strike another honest traveller, and they were always welcome to travel with him.

Obtree
2007-01-29, 02:11 AM
I've been playing one campaign for a while now, but in the beginning the GM was including players randomly for each session, so the plot was linear, but characters kept jumping in and out of it. My rogue was the only one who stayed through consistently. Anyway, one time we got hired by this holy order of clerics and paladins to help them route out some den of evil. Basically their plan was to use this giant gnomish pump and a whole bunch of create water spells to flood the cave. My CN rogue led a small group of adventurers, and our only task was to protect the pump. So we wait for a bit, and then this villager runs up and tells us that a bunch of children got kidnapped, and are being held hostage inside. My character doesn't really care, but agrees that something should be done. So I tell the paladin in charge, and he's like "I know. Its for the greater good." That made it so clear what I had to do. **** the man. I went in and at no small risk to my life saved those kids. The other PCs didn't even come with me at first! Anyway, our party forfeit our payment by going inside, and we were really angry about that and the villagers were too poor to reward us, but we got some cool magic loot from the bag guys.

Darkshade
2007-01-30, 12:55 AM
in a recently started campaign in which i kept switching characters for the first few meetings i finally found the character i want to play, and i didn't know for sure til this moment...
the group was in an underground temple beneath a major city where we had been hired to go down and find out what was causing the ghasts and ghouls to keep showing up in the sewers, I was playing a 7th level Knight (first time playing a Knight) and we were attacked by the BBEG an advanced specter. no one had ghost touch weapons or armor and we were having a real tough timing handling it cuz are cleric had died earlier in the module, everybody had gotten hit at least once except the sorcerer who was way back magic missileing it and the rest of us were trying to put up a brave front. I was hit for a third time giving me 6 negative levels and this close to dead and everyone told me to run away, but instead i grit my teeth and dug my feet in and kept fighting, barely managing to be missed that round and then delivering the final blow a turn later. It really made me feel proud to be playing a brave knight who stood his ground. any other character i would have backed off but it just didnt seem right for him and in the end he was granted his gods favor and saved the day

boo-yah

Arlanthe
2007-01-30, 08:39 AM
exactly, but i think i left out a class or two, i cant find the final version of the character at 42nd level just the old 33rd level one and a 28th level one, i know i got my caster level up high enough for Stowaway spell, i just dont remember how.

That's insane.

Job
2007-01-30, 02:27 PM
So in this particular campaign Dyne, the fallen paladin who had recently loss his left arm, was talking with the party monk, Ezra about the recent quest to free a city from a demi-plane that traps the inhabitance inside.

Dyne: You know, I can’t really feel sorry for them anymore.
Ezra: What do you mean; they have been trapped in for centuries.
Dyne: Yeah, with both their ARMS!

volrathxp
2007-01-30, 04:22 PM
Most recently... my Keldon Warlord Firaxas died valiantly in battle, and wanting to play more of a spellcaster class I made a Changeling Geomancer (Bard 4/Cleric 3/Geomancer 3) named Silas who was a Cleric of the Traveller (in Eberron).

DM: You arrive at the city, called the Towering Wood.
Silas: It certainly is.

This is among the things that he said that night, after he met two of the other party members. And of course... when we meet the all powerful uber wizard Barrin we're helping defeat Tal...

Barrin: You must get out of here, as the armies of Keld are...
Silas: Hello there! Who are you?

Crazy guy. :)

And of course, one of the guys in our group loves his Rokugan, so his character is a Samurai/Shujenga style character and one of his spells is that he summons a bunch of white doves that do absolutely nothing but flap around and fly off if someone attacks them.

Wispy (His character): But the doves, they're just so pretty, you have to look at them. They're meant as a distraction and...
Frosty the Wizard (our resident ice loving frost mage): Dude, no one cares about your doves.

Sun_Krigo
2007-01-30, 07:33 PM
I don't have my Monster Manual, so I just have to go on memory and decriptions.

Our DM decided to subject each of our characters to a trial. Solo play. My character, a Large Half-Black Dragon (DM's a pothead so the size catagory slipped by him), had the hardest trial. I had a hallway, and a small room to make due with against a four-legged, Large beast and the sentient construct that can Wish once a year. The construct made no attempts on my life, but the beast was a handful. I tried to avoid it by flying to the ceiling, but the construct made a Wish and the ceiling lowered to the beast's striking range. I let myself fall down on the creature, making a successful grapple and ride it into the hallway where it shakes me off. It took damage from my bite and claw attacks but made a swipe at me that took off my loincloth and revealed my junk. I was unharmed, but felt the need to provoke the monster by flailing my genitals in it's direction. The provoation works and it charges me, but I dodge it. At some point, it's knocked over on it's back and I make my bite and claw attacks. My first attack with a claw misses and only brushes the monster's genitals. Expected reaction gives me a +2 on my bite attack and I take it.

That would be the second most heated fight I was in, next to the one where I sided with a pure Black Dragon because my teammates refused to just pass by after I talked to him. We both died, cleric ressurects me, but I swore to kill everyone on the team silently. Only got one of 'em before our sessions just died out (DM kept wantin' to make new characters on different campaigns, dumbass)...

Darkshade
2007-01-30, 11:14 PM
I was playing a half-celestial monk named Christian in a Dragonlance setting before the Dragonlance book came out. anyway
the party wizard, Simon, had been afflicted by some strange magical curse that made him blind, did i mention he was a boom mage? he had an awesome set of shades and an air elemental familiar, who would always have to point him towards the enemies...
one day we were attacked by a group of Vrock and I used my Holy Word...
the vrock all got banished...
and so did Simons familiar.

Max Graeves
2007-01-31, 08:44 PM
I had a wonderful gnome sorceror, named...get ready...Dingleberry Brownbritches, CN (and clearly insane), with a pudgy little hedgehog familiar named Professor Poindexter. Dingleberry was convinced that gnomes were the superior race and meant to enslave all other races, but he made all his decisions by first conversing with the Professor. The DM allowed me to ask yes-or-no questions to my familiar, then he would role a die to determine the answer.

We were going up against a bunch of nasties in a cave (its been a while, so specifics are kinda dim); the rest of the party was getting beaten pretty badly, and Dingleberry was hanging back, randomly shooting things into the crowd (I purposelly gave up aiming at this point). As my party was getting wittled down, I had Dingleberry whip out his bag of tricks and summon a bat. I then sent the bat back to town with a note attached saying "Having trouble, send more lackeys and beer". Unfortunately, the bat ended up attacking Dingleberry (I think I was yelling at it and threatening it). It dropped the note, which my surviving party later found...they weren't overly impressed.

Obtree
2007-02-01, 08:38 PM
I was unharmed, but felt the need to provoke the monster by flailing my genitals in it's direction.

Do dragons even have external genitals?

Mewtarthio
2007-02-01, 09:29 PM
Well, given the number of Half-Dragons out there...

By the way, has anyone ever seriously pictured a Half-Dragon human baby? It's really creepy. I mean, a scaly guy with wings is a bit abnormal, but a scaly baby with wings... *shudder*

Raool
2007-02-01, 09:43 PM
Now that's a geek question if I ever saw one.:smallbiggrin:

NullAshton
2007-02-01, 09:47 PM
We somehow teleported into a nobles house, got him angry so he summoned an air elemental or something that ripped off the wall, and we ended up having to pay for the repairs...somehow the wall was lined with gold thread.

Anyhow, our ghost sorcerer decided to pay for the damages. He went to get the money... and came back with the payment. In copper coins. Which had to be counted out individually in court to make sure that he had the proper amount.

Darkshade
2007-02-02, 12:13 AM
okay we were playing in an SR3 campaign, it had just begun and only two of us showed up for the meeting, the guy playing the blaster mage and me, i was playing the super awesome ninja adept, my name was Snake Eyes, I wielded an awesome katana and I was playing a mute. The whole meeting was fantastic but the best part was after we had infiltrated the office building and gotten our hands on our target objective and taken a professor hostage... we were trying to figure out how to sneak the item and oursleves out of the parking lot and away to freedom when the mage asked the professor if he had a car in the garage, he said yes and then proceeded to stammer and stutter and try to ask why should he help us we're gonna get him fired and he kept saying why would i help you for money? you cant pay me enough, no...
that was when i wrote my bestest note ever, i wrote...
"no, you are going to help us out of the kindness of your still beating heart"
(underneath the words was a picture of a heart with a katana sticking through it)
when he read it and looked at me frightened i proceeded to point to the heart repeatedly.
needless to say he took us to his car and we drove out of there safe and sound :)