PDA

View Full Version : Tippyverse Entry: Fun With Psionics

Captnq
2014-01-12, 02:38 PM
So, making the psionomicon and I came across an entry for the Tippyverse:

Psionic Ad Agencies.

It's quite simple. You just need a dedicated number of 3rd level psionicists. They need two powers Know Direction and Location and Mass Missive. For the sake of math, let's make them 5th level.

So each Psionicist can broadcast a 25 word message, telepathically, to everyone within 600 feet for 1 power point. Using Know Direction and Location, they know where to go next to maximize the coverage of the next "broadcast". Late at night, while everyone is sleeping, they go out and Mass Missive the city. With some overlap, you might get the same message a few times, but everyone is sure to get it at least once.

“Eat At Joes! We Finally Cleared Up All The Dysentery! Silverware Spit Shined While You Wait! Your Advertisement Here! Contact Psionic Adverts For Details!”

Basically, it's like pop-up adds...

BUT IN YOUR MIND!!!

Xervous
2014-01-12, 03:10 PM
Missive has the mind affecting tag.

One more reason to get mindblank!

Lord Raziere
2014-01-12, 03:12 PM
so, Futurama dream advertising.

but with psychic power.

Silver Swift
2014-01-12, 03:15 PM
Isn't everyone without complete immunity to mind affecting spells in the tippyverse completely screwed anyway?

Xervous
2014-01-12, 03:20 PM
I'm more worried about this sort of stuff showing up in lower OP settings given how relatively tame it is compared to most everything else in Tippyverse®

Captnq
2014-01-12, 03:31 PM
For only 195 power points, and Time Hop, a 3rd level power, I can time hop the planet forward in time 5 rounds.

Note, I can only time hope one object, the planet itself. Everything ON the planet would be a different target, and would NOT go forward in time 5 rounds. The planet would not orbit for 5 rounds, but everyone else would. But not to fear, when the planet returns, it will move to the nearest open space, which I assume would be under our feat. Since the air would come with us, we just get to float for a bit, wondering what the hell is going on, then a golden shimmering 30 seconds later and everything is back to normal.

Sort of. I'm sure a few things will be misplaced.

Editor: Yes, I know about the limit of points you can spend. It's being silly time.

Xervous
2014-01-12, 03:36 PM
For only 195 power points, and Time Hop, a 3rd level power, I can time hop the planet forward in time 5 rounds.

Note, I can only time hope one object, the planet itself. Everything ON the planet would be a different target, and would NOT go forward in time 5 rounds. The planet would not orbit for 5 rounds, but everyone else would. But not to fear, when the planet returns, it will move to the nearest open space, which I assume would be under our feat. Since the air would come with us, we just get to float for a bit, wondering what the hell is going on, then a golden shimmering 30 seconds later and everything is back to normal.

Editor: Yes, I know about the limit of points you can spend. It's being silly time.

Now, this brings up the horrible question of relative motion. Does the planet reappear where it was relative to the sun? Or is it relative to the center of the galaxy? Or relative to the location of some dead god's festering corpse on the astral plane?

Obviously, this is a grand recipe for disaster. Much more entertaining than making the sun disappear.

Captnq
2014-01-12, 03:39 PM
Now, this brings up the horrible question of relative motion. Does the planet reappear where it was relative to the sun? Or is it relative to the center of the galaxy? Or relative to the location of some dead god's festering corpse on the astral plane?
Obviously, this is a grand recipe for disaster. Much more entertaining than making the sun disappear.

Actually, this is more of a plot by a BBEG, then a player power, which I would have to be manifester level 195 to pull off. Then again, it would last for 195 rounds, in that case. Although I like making the sun disappear for a few rounds. That sounds like the start of a campaign.

Captnq
2014-01-12, 03:48 PM
Oh my god. Now I know what to do.

In my campaign the PCs have seriously kicked the dreaming heart's Ass. Basically a bunch of epic level PCs decided, "Hey, eberron is screwed up. Lets go fix the place." So it's been a real festival. But now I have my counter strike.

In "space" The dreaming dark has a space station. They channel all their psionic power to time hop the sun a few minutes into the future then broadcast a message to the planet, "All Life on the planet must surrender to the dreaming dark, or we will Blot out the sun."

Of course the players will go punch the space station until it explodes, but it should make for a dramatic ending to the Dreaming Dark. The Big Time Hop Gun Powering up to create a 1000 years of darkness. The Evil Illithids having taken control of the firing mechanism are trying to fire it anyways.

Should be fun.

Zweisteine
2014-01-12, 03:52 PM

It reappears relative to the same thing anything else would: the plan– oh wait...

It reappears at its "interplanar reference point," the point corresponding to its duplicates in the appropriate planes (some versions of the ethereal and shadow plaens are like that).

It reappears where it should. I propose astral reference point as a component of everything, which acts like a bookmark when spacetime gets confused.
This comment brought to you by Tippyverse Advertising, Inc.

JusticeZero
2014-01-12, 04:47 PM
Well, in a more normal universe, nothing is moving, as far as it's concerned, so "relative motion" is a moot point. Phlogiston was disproven a long, long time ago.

Silva Stormrage
2014-01-12, 05:50 PM
Wait you can't time hop the planet. Time hop has a weight limit of 300 or less for objects.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm

Morcleon
2014-01-12, 05:55 PM
Wait you can't time hop the planet. Time hop has a weight limit of 300 or less for objects.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm

The augmentation expands that, which is why it takes 195 PP.

For every 2 additional power points you spend, you can affect a creature of one size category larger, or double the weight of an object to be affected.

Captnq
2014-01-12, 06:25 PM
The augmentation expands that, which is why it takes 195 PP.

That, and be 195th level.
No problem.

Morcleon
2014-01-12, 06:31 PM
That, and be 195th level.
No problem.

Or you could be have an ML of 33 and use Improved Overchannel combined with Quori Power Link shards to multiply your ML by 6 (to 198). :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2014-01-13, 02:44 AM

At ML 195, assuming an Earth-like orbit, the planet will be misplaced by an unpleasant 35000 or so kilometers. Not meters, kilometers.

That's not survivable for much of anything (constructs?), but I guess that's par for the course for ML 195 powers or spells anyway.

Gemini476
2014-01-13, 04:47 AM
Or you could be have an ML of 33 and use Improved Overchannel combined with Quori Power Link shards to multiply your ML by 6 (to 198). :smallbiggrin:

Lessee. When you use a Power Link Shard, can you nova its uses to get +6PP to a power?
In that case, the fastest way is probably (?) to be a Wilder for the +6ML.
If Overchannel and Wild Surge etc. don't let you get extra Quori Shards, that means that you can get 7*Level+6 PP to the power. If you get Epic, then Improved Overchannel makes that 8*Level PP. Or 8*Level+12, if Wild Surge stacks with it.

So for pre-epic you need a base ML of 27 to get 195PP, in Epic you need a ML of 25 to get 200PP, or if IO stacks with WS then it's ML 23 for 196PP.

So yeah, a level 25 Psion can unambiguously Time Hop the entire planet. I guess? I haven't checked the math for the mass.

Erik Vale
2014-01-13, 05:03 AM
And that takes no real preperation other than becoming powerful.

This is why you don't let psions [or wizards] and their varients live to see high levels if you can help it.