PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Forgotten Realms Lore - Bard / Sorcerer Magic

Manhelm
2014-01-12, 04:43 PM
I've skulked around here for the answers to many issues with good results in the past, and have obtained a lot of community guides and PDF files that have been lifesavers for me and friends of mine. I hope to become more active as I grow in experience and knowledge.

That aside, what is the true difference between bardic arcane spellcasting abilities and a sorcerers? Since Bard and Sorcerer are often qualifiers for prestige classes that require in-born, innate arcane abilities through bloodlines, where is the line drawn between how these things work?

Can a Bard logically, with third level spells, pick up where he left off and start into fourth level Sorcerer spells through multiclassing, or would he have to start over from the beginning of sorcery? How difficult would it be for a Bard to stop focusing on his music and delve deeper into manipulation of the weave?

Thank you, I have been unable to find any sourcebooks which detail the nitty gritty of how different types of magics work beyond "study, granted by deities, pacts, or latent."

Palanan
2014-01-12, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Manhelm
Can a Bard logically, with third level spells, pick up where he left off and start into fourth level Sorcerer spells through multiclassing, or would he have to start over from the beginning of sorcery?

Well, if you're asking whether a ninth-level bard can take his tenth level as Sorcerer 1, and immediately start casting fourth-level sorcerer spells, that would be a no. A Bard 9/Sorcerer 1 would be using the sorcerer spell slots available to a first-level sorcerer--so yes, he'd be starting over from the beginning, at least on his sorcerer side. He would continue with a bard's spellcasting progression whenever he takes another level of bard.

That said, there may be some funky combo of feats and PrCs that allows something more complex, but plain multiclassing doesn't allow spellcasting levels to stack between your classes.

How difficult would it be for a Bard to stop focusing on his music and delve deeper into manipulation of the weave?

One interpretation would be to choose a prestige class with a partial spellcasting progression, with the other class abilities representing the deeper manipulation of the Weave. Be aware that losing spellcasting levels is considered serious apostasy here in the Playground. :smalltongue:

[3.5] Forgotten Realms Lore - Bard / Sorcerer Magic

Also, apart from the mention of the Weave, you don't seem to have any questions that are specific to the Realms...unless I'm missing a nuance here?

Manhelm
2014-01-12, 06:04 PM
Also, apart from the mention of the Weave, you don't seem to have any questions that are specific to the Realms...unless I'm missing a nuance here?

Unless I am missing something, I don't believe so. I thought the campaign might have some specifics as to how bardic magic is learned / practiced as opposed to that of sorcery. I am to understand that they both gain power through their blood lineage, and both can materialize it into PrCs like Dragon Disciple.

Aside from the music part of it, how do their innate abilities differ? Is it simply a choice of path for that character if they have the ability?

Rebel7284
2014-01-12, 06:10 PM
Check out the Sublime Chord prestige class. It does something very similar to what you want. =)

Palanan
2014-01-12, 06:14 PM
I thought the campaign might have some specifics as to how bardic magic is learned / practiced as opposed to that of sorcery. I am to understand that they both gain power through their blood lineage, and both can materialize it into PrCs like Dragon Disciple.

The details would be up to your DM, but I don't think that bards have much to do with magical lineages per se. The 3.5 PHB has a couple of general statements--"A bard's magic comes from the heart; A bard brings forth magic from his soul"--but otherwise gives no details on exactly how the magic comes about. The 3.0 FRCS doesn't have anything to add that I can tell, so this really would be up to your DM.

Manhelm
2014-01-12, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone, I was worried it might fall more into DM territory than solidified lore. Such is the case with many base classes and newer PrCs.