PDA

View Full Version : Cost to renovate a dungeon? (3.5)

Chester
2014-01-12, 05:50 PM
So, my party ended up in a dungeon. (I love dungeon crawling.)

It's pretty much cleared out, in a jungle about 2-3 days' travel south of the city in which we currently reside.

I want to renovate this place and make it a base of operations.

Semi-large dungeon with 18 rooms, all on one floor. As a Dread Necromancer, my PC could really use a nice starter keep.

What would the average cost be to renovate such a place and make it a base of operations? (I'm talking restoring chimneys, removing and relocating some traps, furnishing, cleanup, etc.)

Square footage of rooms (not including hallways) is approximately 14,150.

Or, where can I look to find the answer if ya'll don't want to do the math? (It's a lot of math, I'll tell you that.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-12, 06:00 PM
I would look into the Stronghold Builder's Guide. A cursory glance at it revealed "stronghold components" in the second chapter. After you've constructed the rooms themselves (in this case the space has already been provided), you pay the listed cost to renovate/furnish it to serve the indicated purpose.

Prices vary depending on conditions spelled out in other chapters, of course, such as proximity to civilization and availability of labor and materials.

Chester
2014-01-12, 06:47 PM
Wow . . . they actually have a supplement for that.

Thank you, kind sir!

Bullet06320
2014-01-12, 08:34 PM
plane shift to the family guy universe, get the maid there, and lots of lemon pledge, should take about a week, lol

Invader
2014-01-12, 08:37 PM
Yup I don't know if you'll find a better answer anywhere outside of the stronghold builders guide.

Petrocorus
2014-01-12, 09:01 PM
What is your party's level?
What classes does your party members have?

Because Make Whole, Wood Shape, Stone Shape, Wall of Stone could greatly help you to do it for free.

Not to mention that, as a Dread Necro, you probaly can have some not-mindless undead minions to work for you.

ericgrau
2014-01-12, 09:56 PM
Because Make Whole, Wood Shape, Stone Shape, Wall of Stone could greatly help you to do it for free.

You would think so but the volumes on those spells are astoundingly small and it could take months if not years. Cheap commoner (or, yes, zombie) labor and SHBG is their best bet I think.

One possible exception is the druid spell move earth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/moveEarth.htm). It's somewhat efficient IIRC. But it's more for the outside ramparts than inside. Guards and wards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guardsAndWards.htm) and permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) have some nice options too.

Petrocorus
2014-01-13, 11:47 AM
You would think so but the volumes on those spells are astoundingly small and it could take months if not years. Cheap commoner (or, yes, zombie) labor and SHBG is their best bet I think.

SHBG?

We're speaking of renovation, not building the castle out of thin air. But i understand your point.

Diarmuid
2014-01-13, 11:53 AM
No, you're not going to fix the whole place in a single day with your daily allotment of spells, but you could spent a few weeks working on it.

As was said, you're looking to "fix up". Each spell should be pretty good for fixing an issue. The more people you bring into the environment, now the less secure and safe your keep is going to be. Those commoners are going to go back to that town and brag about the fancy adventurers lining their walls with gold and whatnot paying high prices for labor.

They'll also know the layout of your place and where the weaknesses you had shored up were.

Grollub
2014-01-13, 08:34 PM
are you necropolitan? if so, dont fix the chimney's.. you're undead and dont need the heat. use magical means to artificially light the place; if you arent i would still recomment artifcial heating. Chimneys are a way to gain access to your place.

Traps are self-explanatory.. they have a cost built in, just work with the gm on "moving" them or using them as supplies to remake them elsewhere.

Furnishings, as well..i would check books like Stronghold's Builder Guide, Ultimate Campaign, etc.. any supplement that involves kingdom stuffs

Cleanup is as simple as Prestidigitation :smallcool:

Slipperychicken
2014-01-13, 09:41 PM
are you necropolitan? if so, dont fix the chimney's.. you're undead and dont need the heat. use magical means to artificially light the place; if you arent i would still recomment artifcial heating. Chimneys are a way to gain access to your place.

Yeah, but having chimneys makes for better Christmas-themed encounters.