PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Template Advice.

Metahuman1
2014-01-12, 06:28 PM
Hey,

I'm in a game were the party has been advised by the DM that were gonna have a chance to rebuild our character's.

I think the only Major Ban is Psionics.

So, I know about Unseelie Fey, Draconic Creature and the Sparked Template, but what are other good Templates for a Sorcerer? I'd like to have no more then 1 Level Adjustment if possible.

prufock
2014-01-12, 07:00 PM
Hey,

I'm in a game were the party has been advised by the DM that were gonna have a chance to rebuild our character's.

I think the only Major Ban is Psionics.

So, I know about Unseelie Fey, Draconic Creature and the Sparked Template, but what are other good Templates for a Sorcerer? I'd like to have no more then 1 Level Adjustment if possible.

Magic-blooded. +2 cha, -2 wis, and a few SLAs. To top it all off, it's +0 LA.

ksbsnowowl
2014-01-13, 01:57 AM
Beast of Bane from Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land.
+2 LA, +4 Charisma, plus some other interesting abilities, like a Frightful Presence ability (with a Charisma-based DC) that induces the Frightened condition for 5d6 rounds.
(The template actually forgets to mention what fear status is inflicted, so you have to refer to the 3.0 version of the template, Beast of Xvim from Monsters of Faerun.)

Half-Fey from Fiend Folio.
+2 LA, +4 Charisma (among other stat mods), and Charm Person SLA at will.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 07:18 AM
Sparked is the Magic Blooded Template I though?

Beast of Bane could be interesting.

Rebel7284
2014-01-13, 10:35 AM
Primordial Giant template is +0, it can be applied to a Half Giant at +1LA for -2 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Int, +4 Cha as I recall. Also a few other small goodies like powerful build (nice for gishing/launch bolt/grapple checks) also a choice of SLAs and Stomp 1/day.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 10:41 AM
Actually, here's a question. If I took the Phrenic Creature template, dropped the Psi-like abilitys and bonus PP, and make the Psi-resistance spell Resistance, would that be worth LA 1?

Cause, I might just try bouncing that off my DM if it were.

Asrrin
2014-01-13, 11:37 AM
Is the White Dragonspawn template from Dragonlance on the table? +1 LA that includes a +1 sorcerer level on top of other goodies, so you don't lose progression.

Rebel7284
2014-01-13, 11:44 AM
Is the White Dragonspawn template from Dragonlance on the table? +1 LA that includes a +1 sorcerer level on top of other goodies, so you don't lose progression.

Doesn't that also come with being dominated by a dragon permanently? Easymode railroading!

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 11:54 AM
Might be but I'm not liking Easy Mode Railroading, and part of the reason I'm hoping to keep it down to LA 1 is so that I can use bonus XP from my Item Familiar at level 6 to Buy Off the LA, so LA stacking with levels is actually less sexy then it sounds in this instance.

Asrrin
2014-01-13, 12:42 PM
Doesn't that also come with being dominated by a dragon permanently? Easymode railroading!

Nothing a Magic Circle of Protection: Evil or Mind Blank couldn't solve!

Spuddles
2014-01-13, 12:46 PM
Primordial Giant template is +0, it can be applied to a Half Giant at +1LA for -2 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Int, +4 Cha as I recall. Also a few other small goodies like powerful build (nice for gishing/launch bolt/grapple checks) also a choice of SLAs and Stomp 1/day.

If you use the LA 0 version of half giant it's not psionic, lacks powrful build, and has -2 dex.

For LA 1 you can get +10 charisma for a magic blooded (also called spark) unseelie draconic primordial half giant.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 01:20 PM
If you use the LA 0 version of half giant it's not psionic, lacks powrful build, and has -2 dex.

For LA 1 you can get +10 charisma for a magic blooded (also called spark) unseelie draconic primordial half giant.

I think I have a winner here. And since my origin story is "I remember being somewhere dark were something not human did all kinds of painful and freaky things to me and then I woke up in the middle no no were." it's even already explained! XD!

Edit: Hey, what book was Primordial Giant in?

Spuddles
2014-01-13, 01:25 PM
Non psionic half giant is a racial class either in back of XPH or CPsi.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 01:26 PM
Racial Class? Sorry, but, doesn't that mean I'm loosing levels, just not to LA?

prufock
2014-01-13, 01:31 PM

I haven't seen that Dragon mag, but from what I know it's still LA +0 and same basic benefits.

Rebel7284
2014-01-13, 01:36 PM

Not all racial classes require you to take them all at once. Check the book/article in question. I know the web ones say that you don't have to take them contiguously.

Primordial Giant is in Secrets of Xendric as I recall.

Spuddles
2014-01-13, 07:43 PM

Only if you opt to take levels in it. You dont have to, at least post-savage species. SS racial classes have a specific clause that you must take all levels before multiclassing. Later books/web articles lack that clause and even seem to imply that you can wait to take later levels.

Darrin
2014-01-13, 10:54 PM

The template has two names. You can refer to it as either a Magic-Blooded creature or a Spark creature.

Hey, what book was Primordial Giant in?

Secrets of Xen'drik p. 81.

Not all racial classes require you to take them all at once. Check the book/article in question. I know the web ones say that you don't have to take them contiguously.

The Half-Giant racial class progression is in Complete Psionic (p. 148). It does not use the Savage Progression/Template Class rules (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a). You must follow the table in CPsi, which tells you when you level up whether you get new racial abilities or a new class level. It's basically "Paint By Numbers Level Adjustment Done Easy" (without LA Buyoff). You could easily use the base stats for Half-Giant from CPsi and create a single template class level for half-giants, but that would be a house rule.

As far as I can determine, there's no way to play a "giant" type with anything less than LA +1.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, well, since I've already got 1 LA bought off by the time I go to swallow this, I can probably swallow half giant at LA +1 when level six rolls around.

And that +10 Cha looks like it would be amazing with no pesky LA attached after buyoff.