PDA

View Full Version : Casting + 2handed weapons..

daggaz
2007-01-22, 05:37 AM
I know you have to have one hand free for somantic components, so my question is this:

If you are wielding a 2hander, what are the rules for say, letting go with one hand, casting a spell, and then regripping your weapon? Can it be done in one round? Is it free action or swift action or what? Does it incur extra attacks of opportunity?

I assume letting it go is a free action... casting the spell will provoke any possible AoO's, its mostly the regripping part that got me puzzled.

Thanks, -dag.

JaronK
2007-01-22, 05:41 AM
You can let go and grab the weapon as a free action, so long as one hand is holding it. Basically, you can't effectively swing the weapon while casting a spell, but otherwise it's not a problem. It's one reason that weilding a two handed weapon while spellcasting is a pretty good idea.

JaronK

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-22, 05:43 AM
You can switch between wielding a weapon one-handed and two-handed multiple times during a full attack routine, so I'm going to say it's a free action.

daggaz
2007-01-22, 05:50 AM
sweet! and thanks for the fast response.

Sounds like my dwarven battle cleric will be very happy with his great-axe. (My DM says I can make up a my own deity provided there is a good story and it matches the fluff very well. I'm going with a war domained dwarven god who favors the greataxe (cant believe I couldnt find one already in the books). Still thinking about the other domain...

JaronK
2007-01-22, 05:52 AM
Strength Domain! This shouldn't even be a question!

JaronK

Darrin
2007-01-22, 12:13 PM
I'm going with a war domained dwarven god who favors the greataxe (cant believe I couldnt find one already in the books). Still thinking about the other domain...

Exceedingly, mindnumbingly odd, yes. Most of the dwarven deities favor just plain ol' battleaxes... not sure why, I guess someone thought iconic dwarves prefer axe+shield? Also particularly odd, only one deity that favors the dwarven waraxe: Gendwar Argrim, the patron god of fatalism, destruction and certain death (hmmm... emo dwarves?). With Oversize TWF, though, you can double up on the waraxes.

If you really want to go with a THF build, Haela Brightaxe (FR deity) gets you WF: Greatsword, but... okay, how in the nine hecks do you have a goddess with the surname BrightAXE and she wields a greatsword? That's just... wrong. But hey, she's also got the Strength and Luck domains, and it's hard to get better than that.

YPU
2007-01-22, 12:19 PM
on the topic of strenght domain, it alows you to ad on a strenght check, a gamer of mine tryied to point out that atacks basicly are strenght checks, but to get that bonus on atack and damage. isnt that a bit broken or can it be don without a hus. war and destrection or protection works quite nice.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-22, 12:22 PM
Attack rolls aren't Strength checks.

Rumda
2007-01-22, 12:24 PM
well they technically are when you have no bab

Belkarseviltwin
2007-01-22, 12:49 PM
sweet! and thanks for the fast response.

Sounds like my dwarven battle cleric will be very happy with his great-axe. (My DM says I can make up a my own deity provided there is a good story and it matches the fluff very well. I'm going with a war domained dwarven god who favors the greataxe (cant believe I couldnt find one already in the books). Still thinking about the other domain...
Hanseath. Races of Stone. Domains: Chaos, Strength, Travel, War. Chaotic Neutral.

Vik
2007-01-22, 02:19 PM
on the topic of strenght domain, it alows you to ad on a strenght check, a gamer of mine tryied to point out that atacks basicly are strenght checks, but to get that bonus on atack and damage. isnt that a bit broken or can it be don without a hus. war and destrection or protection works quite nice. No, Strength Domain give you an alteration bonus to Strength :

Strength Domain
Granted Power
You can perform a feat of strength as a supernatural ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities). You gain an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus) to Strength equal to your cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) level. Activating the power is a free action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#freeActions), the power lasts 1 round, and it is usable once per day.

Matthew
2007-01-22, 03:47 PM
I know you have to have one hand free for somantic components, so my question is this:

If you are wielding a 2hander, what are the rules for say, letting go with one hand, casting a spell, and then regripping your weapon? Can it be done in one round? Is it free action or swift action or what? Does it incur extra attacks of opportunity?

I assume letting it go is a free action... casting the spell will provoke any possible AoO's, its mostly the regripping part that got me puzzled.

Thanks, -dag.

Actually, precisely what kind of action regripping a two handed weapon is, is undefined in the RAW and not cleared up by the FAQ. The confusion comes about with the rules for transferring a weapon from one hand to another, which the FAQ suggests should be a Move Action. Obviously though, you could use two Free Actions to simulate this if both gripping and leaving go of a weapon are Free Actions. In short, it's up to your Dungeon Master whether your Character can leave go of his weapon, cast a Spell and grip his weapon again.

Person_Man
2007-01-22, 05:24 PM
It's a free action. There's also a feat out there somewhere that let's you bypass this while holding a weapon, in case you want to use TWF or sword and board. Can't remember what it is though.

Matthew
2007-01-22, 05:25 PM
Interesting, where does it say this is a Free Action?

Rigeld2
2007-01-22, 06:48 PM
No, Strength Domain give you an alteration bonus to Strength :
Funny... what you quoted says its enhancement, not alteration.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-22, 06:52 PM
i think you could. but since most spellcasters lack physical punch wielding a two-handed weapon doesn't seem that great an idea to me. plus, wizards and sorcerers, and druids can't even wield them can they.

AmoDman
2007-01-22, 07:01 PM
i think you could. but since most spellcasters lack physical punch wielding a two-handed weapon doesn't seem that great an idea to me. plus, wizards and sorcerers, and druids can't even wield them can they.

Longspear = Reach. Think Beguiler.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-22, 07:17 PM
true. but in my experience non cleric spell casters like druids but especially wizards and sorcerers prefer ranged. so a bow or two-handed crossbow would be fine. for the endless posts about how much better wizards and sorcerers than everyone else a wizard or sorcerer in meele usually don't last very long.

AmoDman
2007-01-22, 07:38 PM
true. but in my experience non cleric spell casters like druids but especially wizards and sorcerers prefer ranged. so a bow or two-handed crossbow would be fine. for the endless posts about how much better wizards and sorcerers than everyone else a wizard or sorcerer in meele usually don't last very long.

Bows are two-handed.

Kantolin
2007-01-22, 08:07 PM
Well, if you can't use a two handed weapon and still cast, then that really snuffs all those wizards with quarterstaves out there.

Not that this effects RAW in the slightest; RAW may or may not make sense. But in the interest of letting a wizard weild a quarterstaff and still cast spells, I'd say two-handed weapon + Casting = Okay.

TheOOB
2007-01-22, 08:09 PM
I've always rules that it's not an action to switch from one-handed to two-handed, when you attack you use both hands, but otherwise I assume your carrying the weapon in one hand.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-22, 08:38 PM
Let's say that wizards use quarter staffs, that are two-handed/double weapons. And it never bothered them.

daggaz
2007-01-22, 11:52 PM
Good point about the quarterstaffs. And Im bringing this up cuz I want to wield a greataxe with a dwarven cleric. Not cuz Im making a melee elven wizard.

Leon
2007-01-23, 06:45 AM
get Somactic Weaponary and cast spells with your weapon