PDA

View Full Version : Sunder Wand

Taykai
2014-01-12, 07:14 PM
Greetings All,

I am currently DMing a campaign and one of my players decided to to sunder his wand of cure light wounds that had 18 charges left on it. He made the DC and did enough damage to sunder it and broke it in half. I did some digging in the DMG and i figured it would act like if you sundered a staff so basically i called it a bomb of positive energy. Ok here is my dilema though

The player who sundered the wand by good graces of the dice god basically survived the positive energy bomb at point blank range. So i need some help here on what could be some side effects of this happening??? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Glimbur
2014-01-12, 07:30 PM
Are you looking for positive side effects, negative ones, or just weird ones?

Maybe he developed an allergy to positive energy and now curing spells heal less, or even he gets Tomb Tainted Soul (healed by negative hurt by positive).

Maybe he gets fast healing 1, which would be pretty powerful and might cause other wand snapping.

Maybe he glows in the dark.

RAW, normally only specific staffs being broken on purpose (Staff of Power) have an effect apart from just breaking. But if you like this, go for it. Know that you might get PC's weaponinzing wands and staves, which is horribly expensive but might let them fight above their weight class.

ericgrau
2014-01-12, 08:52 PM
RAW it does nothing. But I am wholeheartedly in favor of you making up a random effects table 2e style. As in often beneficial in an amount related to the cost of the wand, but sometimes harmful. It has a Deck of Many Things flair in that it can make the game more fun or it can ruin your game, so have fun with it but don't go too overboard. Or if it seems like nobody's interested then you can say the wand breaks with no effect and move on.

I'll add some possible random effects:

He and anyone else within 5 feet of the wand is healed by 1/4th of the charges. Half of the excess beyond his max HP becomes temporary hp lasting 1 hour. If a single broken wand blast causes this temp hp to exceed his max hp, he must make a DC 20 fort save or explode with energy (and dies in messy fashion).
Only one of the charges heals him and the rest are wasted.
All of the charges heal him but he becomes desensitized to cure magic. He is forced to make a will save for half healing against all future cure magic whether he wants to resist it or not. Wish, miracle, limited wish or repeated exposure to a great deal of negative energy damage may remove this condition.
He is healed to full by some of the charges and any extra charges grant him a healing touch which heals 1 hp per spell level per touch. Once the touches equal the extra charges his healing touch is gone.

Taykai
2014-01-13, 12:10 AM
thanks guys for the help. he and 2 other members all got hit by the blast and made the saves and the spell blast healed over double his hp and the other 2 members who were caught in the blast. I did make them all make fort saves to avoid explosion and believe it or not they all made it. Even the guy who sundered the wand made the fortitude save (and he had a 3% chance out of d100 to survive.) but i like the ideas of the positive no longer working on him. keep adding more ideas (negative, positive, and weird).

Bakkan
2014-01-13, 01:53 AM
This would change the game significantly and wouldn't work in most campaigns, but you could make him like Captain Jack Harkness from Dr. Who/Torchwood. This characer got a huge amount of energy pumped into him, raising him from the dead. Afterward, he couldn't die. If he was mortally wounded or poisoned or suffocated or incinerated or ground to dust or die in any other way, he would revive between a few seconds and a few minutes later. One time he was buried and spent around a millenium repeatedly suffocating in the earth, reviving a few moments later, and suffocating again.

In game, this would act as essentially an (Ex) contingent true resurrection spell that would trigger after some amount of time (probably 1d10 minutes or something to make it likely that whatever fight killed him would be over by then). for this not to completely ruin a game (by having everyone go around breaking wands over their knees) it would have to be clear that this was an unexpected, likely unduplicatable effect and that not being able to die has some downsides.

TuggyNE
2014-01-13, 03:14 AM
I am currently DMing a campaign and one of my players decided to to sunder his wand of cure light wounds that had 18 charges left on it. He made the DC and did enough damage to sunder it and broke it in half. I did some digging in the DMG and i figured it would act like if you sundered a staff so basically i called it a bomb of positive energy.

Nothing special happens, in general, on sundering a staff, runestaff, rod, wand, or eternal wand — it simply ruins the item, nothing more or less. Two staffs (one an artifact) have a specific effect on sundering.

The player who sundered the wand by good graces of the dice god basically survived the positive energy bomb at point blank range. So i need some help here on what could be some side effects of this happening??? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Whatever you want, I suppose. Look up the effects of the rod of wonder, shield of wonder, and so on to get in the right mood if you really want to do this. Stuff like having (possibly ethereal or glowing) plants grow on their skin harmlessly, being more or less affected by positive or negative energy in the future, social interaction bonuses or penalties to positive/negative energy plane creatures and undead, and so on.

Oh, here's one that might actually be useful: fast healing 1 for up to 15/25/50 rounds per day, non-contiguous.

Grayson01
2014-01-13, 05:49 AM
Every time he is healed by positive energy he glows a brilliant white for 1d20 mins.

He Glows when ever in the presense of a Good Aura the high the strength of the Aura the brighter he glows