PDA

View Full Version : Cloistered Cleric Clerification Conundrum

Sugarbear007
2014-01-12, 08:00 PM
Not really a conundrum but I wanted another word starting with C.

Anywho, my friend is playing a swift hunter with a CC dip. He switched out knowledge domain for devotion like everyone and their mother does. It was recently brought up at the table (in a civilized is this how this works? manner, nobodies having any arguments so no rush) he's given up the domain so he looses all the extra knowledge skills that come with it, save the one from the devotion feat itself.

That lead to the discussion that you don't get much of anything without that domain as far as skills go if what you get is all that's listed in the unearthed arcana book.

My question is this. Is the list of class skills the Cloistered Cleric is printed with in addition to or independent of those skills printed with the core cleric?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-12, 08:12 PM
The class entry is pretty explicit that the expanded list of Knowledge skills is from the Knowledge Domain.

The cloistered cleric's class skill list includes Decipher Script, Speak Language, and all Knowledge skills (from the Knowledge domain, see below). The cloistered cleric gains skill points per level equal to 6 + Int modifier (and has this number x4 at 1st level).

Sugarbear007
2014-01-12, 08:20 PM
Let me rephrase.

Is the list of skills you gain from being a cloistered cleric all you get as a cloistered cleric (I understand the part about the knowledge devotion).

Or are those skills listed what you get, plus what all normal clerics from the core book get.

claypigeons
2014-01-12, 08:27 PM
Let me rephrase.

Is the list of skills you gain from being a cloistered cleric all you get as a cloistered cleric (I understand the part about the knowledge devotion).

Or are those skills listed what you get, plus what all normal clerics from the core book get.

A normal cleric has Planes and Religion on their list. It is my interpretation that Cloistered Clerics get the rest in addition to the base. Grab Animal or Plant domain for Nature and use the granted knowledge for Arcana.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-12, 08:31 PM
Decipher Script, Speak Language and the knowledges are in addition to the standard cleric's skills, not in place of. A cloistered cleric who trades away the knowledge domain will have Arcana, Religion and one more of his choice from the Knowledge Devotion feat.

Gavinfoxx
2014-01-12, 08:38 PM
I just let them keep the knowledges. *Shrugs*.

Sugarbear007
2014-01-12, 08:48 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses. They were quite helpful.

Pickford
2014-01-12, 11:27 PM
My question is this. Is the list of class skills the Cloistered Cleric is printed with in addition to or independent of those skills printed with the core cleric?

In addition to. The chapter in Unearthed Arcana, where this variant is from, says subtractions would be indicated.