PDA

View Full Version : Shut up and take my money.

Sereg_Anfaug
2014-01-12, 09:46 PM
I have been reading OOTS for many years, and never have I felt the need to make a forum post, or even register for it in all that time.

Today, I have done both.

Today's comic, #937 Travel Time, panel #4, needs to be made into a T Shirt, which I will promptly buy.

Thank you, that is all.

SlashDash
2014-01-13, 04:34 AM
Still waiting for a chance on BatDwarf T-Shirts :smallbiggrin:

Atropine
2014-01-13, 05:59 AM
Same here lol.

I saw that and thought, "I would buy that shirt"

Also, I want to make it my desktop wallpaper.

allenw
2014-01-13, 07:55 AM
Well...
Honestly, without a brand of potion being referenced, that panel fell flat for me.
If that were fixed, I might consider it.

Raphite1
2014-01-13, 03:00 PM
Well...
Honestly, without a brand of potion being referenced, that panel fell flat for me.

You needed a mention of the brand that was being parodied to find it funny?

Seems kinda odd - like needing D&D specifically mentioned in order to find all the D&D jokes funny.

Far
2014-01-13, 03:23 PM
I get what allenw is saying. It doesn't quite "feel" right - the original ad refers to a specific brand, whereas here it's just the thing itself. Of course, you could think of it as him saying he prefers potions over wands, or spells from a caster, or whatever. Since it's actually a bottle of liquid, though, you're sort of primed to expect it to be very similar to the original.

Anyways, that's probably too much analysis. It's a good joke that wanted to be made, it just doesn't fit the formula perfectly. Which is fine; not everything's going to be perfect.

Hamste
2014-01-13, 03:48 PM
Maybe potions in the stick universe are like band-aids and Kleenex? They are an actual brand name but people are so used to them that the object is referred to as that. As in A Potion is the brand name and everyone just calls any old thing potions because their brand is so wide spread.

Boring McReader
2014-01-13, 06:43 PM
Anyways, that's probably too much analysis. It's a good joke that wanted to be made, it just doesn't fit the formula perfectly. Which is fine; not everything's going to be perfect.

One of OOTS's great strengths is that the humor is structured like the humor in Airplane or Police Squad, or Simpsons. Some jokes are dumb and obvious, some are clever and sneaky, some are instant classics and some fall flat for some readers. And if you don't like any of the jokes on a page, there's interesting drama, characters, and commentary. No single joke needs to work for all readers because soon enough they'll find another panel or page they enjoy.

Zeitgeist
2014-01-13, 07:40 PM
Well...

I liked the joke, but I immediately noticed this.

It would be comparable to the original meme saying "I don't always drink, but when I do, I drink beer."

Wouldn't have been a very compelling ad. I agree that this joke would be better if it had an arbitrary brand of potion included.

Mighty
2014-01-14, 07:24 AM
Didn't even realise it was a parody of a specific ad until reading this thread. Guess it hasn't carried over to Europe or I'm just way behind on memes.

allenw
2014-01-14, 08:27 AM
Maybe potions in the stick universe are like band-aids and Kleenex? They are an actual brand name but people are so used to them that the object is referred to as that. As in A Potion is the brand name and everyone just calls any old thing potions because their brand is so wide spread.

I'd buy that (for 50 gp).

Zar Peter
2014-01-14, 09:00 AM
I would also say that in a universe where there is the Empire of Sweat, the Kingdom of Nowhere and the Republic of Someplace Else (amongst others) it's completely reasonable to call your regeneration drink "POTION".

I mean, this is a DM naming things who came up with "Elans mother" as name of Elans mother.

brionl
2014-01-15, 06:02 PM
I still think it should be "Dos Healus" potions.

Tsriel
2014-01-15, 09:55 PM
Today's comic, #937 Travel Time, panel #4, needs to be made into a T Shirt, which I will promptly buy.

Agreed. :smallbiggrin:

Goosefarble
2014-01-16, 12:35 AM
There are brands of potion in D&D...?