PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right call?

danzibr
2014-01-12, 09:47 PM
This is sort of a general role playing topic, but it happened during a 3.5 session, so it might as well go here.

One of my old buddies recently started a campaign. I was a CG Warforged Totemist (highly uncharismatic, a tank, named Plate), the only other player was a Warforged Wizard. First couple sessions went great, went from level 3 to 4. 2 sessions ago ended with us killing a dire wolf, following some tracks, looking for a missing dude.

Last session, a new player joined. The new player seems to be a good role player, but is playing a reserved/arrogant character, named Faile (from WoT, sounds like "fail"). We two Warforged were hurrying on to the wolf's cave to rescue the dude, while the new player was hanging back, not wanting to introduce herself yet (sort of spying on us). We find the dude, and it turns out there are 4 wolf pups, frolicking. Around this time we see the new player, who just stands back, and as socially awkward Warforged, we don't really initiate conversation. They like my character, and as a good Totemist, I like them back. One approaches me, plays with me a little, the new player likes dogs and picks up the puppy. It playfully nips at her finger, the DM makes an attack roll to see how hard the puppy hits. He rolls a 20, confirms the crit, it bites her pinky off. She draws a dagger, I grapple her, drag her out of the cave, we make a deal that if I get her finger back on, she won't kill the puppy. Off to a bad start.

I acquire the finger (thanks to some Wild Empathy and a Reflex save), we head back to town, make a little conversation along the way.

New player: What's your name?
Me: Plate.
New player: That's a fitting name.
Me: What's your name?
New player: Faile (sounds like "fail").
Me: ... That's a fitting name.

Then immediately after I laugh and apologize and say that was a terrible joke. Got some good laughs, but I feel bad about it. She didn't seem offended, and afterwards we had a good OOC chat about jobs and stuff.

For the actual question: Considering my character's lack of Charisma and our rough start, was that an appropriate response? In other words, did I make the right call?

Invader
2014-01-12, 10:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. It wasn't especially malicious in any way.

Zanos
2014-01-12, 10:05 PM
Seems fine to me. It was a joke, and it was in character.

It takes a lot to offend people at my table in or out of character, though.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-12, 10:06 PM
It made me laugh.

Don't worry about having been too rude, specially if she didn't seem offended. If she's a good roleplayer she shouldn't take personally something which happened in game.

Palanan
2014-01-12, 10:12 PM
It seems fine to me. If the vibe was friendly around the table, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, keep in mind she was the one who chose the name.

:smalltongue:

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-12, 10:14 PM
For the actual question: Considering my character's lack of Charisma and our rough start, was that an appropriate response? In other words, did I make the right call?

Making jokes that fall flat or risk offending someone is a very good way to portray low Charisma, I think. An appropriate follow-up might be to try to apologize in a clumsy, awkward way, probably in a public place and in noble company, so that your companion Faile knows that you mean well, but also wishes you could have picked a more appropriate time to say you're sorry about that severed finger.

You're Chaotic Good, and that means you're a nice guy. But your playful Chaotic temperament, combined with your complete lack of tact, probably mix badly and get you in trouble often. Your character, if otherwise intelligent, may be well aware of this fault and well accustomed to making apologies. Certainly this is an option far preferable to getting in a fight that may end with you killing someone.

Fenryr
2014-01-12, 10:19 PM
Eh, you apologized for an ingame joke. Maybe it was kind of unnecessary but I understand you point.

Be happy.

Zombulian
2014-01-12, 10:48 PM
You seem like an incredibly kind person to feel bad enough about that exchange to make a thread about it. But no, there wasn't anything wrong with what you or your character said. It was both in character and accurate.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-12, 11:38 PM
All's fair in puns and retorts. :smallamused:

EugeneVoid
2014-01-12, 11:51 PM
You could always ask her (IC or OOC) why she got/picked the name

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-13, 01:09 AM
Between spelling and pronunciation of the name she either walked right into that one or actively expected it. Making the -really- obvious joke was not only okay but probably expected. I wouldn't worry about it, especially seeing as she laughed it off.

Vhaidara
2014-01-13, 01:17 AM
If it's not okay, that's her problem. As has been stated, she was practically asking for the joke to be made. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to wait to make it IC. I'm not a nice person when it comes to jokes though, so that doesn't really say much.

Coidzor
2014-01-13, 01:34 AM
I'm just slightly confused by the finger loss.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-13, 01:54 AM
I'm just slightly confused by the finger loss.

Yeah, if anything in this thread wasn't the right call, it's that.:smallconfused:

Bigbeefie
2014-01-13, 01:56 AM
Oh noes bro you pissed her off........

Just kidding. Funny joke though.

georgie_leech
2014-01-13, 02:06 AM
It's a good way of portraying low charisma, and you made sure that you didn't actually offend the player.

Incidentally you could point out to him OOC that it's actually pronounced somewhere between fa-EEL and fa-YEEL. The "y" sound is quite as pronounced as an actual "y" would be, but it's there.