PDA

View Full Version : Smashy Dragonborn

Victharis
2014-01-13, 02:39 AM
So I'm gearing up for a new 3.5 group here at college, and was hoping I could get some feedback on a character I've been wanting to play.

Dragonborn Half-Minotaur Water Orc
+16 Str +10 Con -4 Dex -4 Int -2 Wis -2 Cha

Fighter 6
War Hulk 10
Hulking Hurler 2-3
Warblade 1

Feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Headlong Rush
Shock Trooper
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)
Improved Bull Rush
Knockback
Battle Jump/Leap Attack

So my plan was to take the dungeoncrasher feats at 2nd and 6th level and use the single level of warblade for the Ironheart Surge maneuver.

The way I wanted to play this character was to charge in (with absurd damage multipliers) and cleave for all he's worth, then just use the War Hulk class ability to start swinging. Hulking Hurler is really just for fun so I can throw small buildings and such with my 50+ Strength.

Tips? Thoughts?

Know(Nothing)
2014-01-13, 04:17 AM
The throwing stuff is actually great, since it'll keep you relevant when people start flying away from you.

Brutal Throw for STR to hit if you're throwing a lot of stuff.

Harpoons are either good or fantastic depending on your DM's interpretation of how much damage they do when being removed. Particularly when coupled with chain/rope to reel in your enemy or at least keep them from fleeing.

Large And In Charge is really fun, particularly if you get Combat Reflexes and stop anyone within your reach from going anywhere past/near you.

Victharis
2014-01-13, 01:49 PM
Harpoons sound sweet, could you point me towards books or other reference documents for all of those things?

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 01:54 PM
Might be worth considering looking into a feat from the Monster Manual called Awesome Blow. Can't remember if it requires hugh and up or not though.

Course, if it does, that's what an item of at will/permanent unaugmented Expansion is for.

Know(Nothing)
2014-01-13, 02:23 PM
The harpoon is on page 107 of Stormwrack, though if I recall correctly they are also detailed in Frostburn, and I'm not sure if they're exactly the same. There might be different versions elsewhere, too.

Savage Species also has some interesting options, if it's available to you.

Rebel7284
2014-01-13, 02:38 PM
I would avoid Dragonborn as you lose the extra gore attack and natural armor from the half minotaur. Not worth it for the extra Con unless you really want the extra x2 multiplier for diving charge.

Also needs spiritual lion totem barbarian 1 dip for a full attack after a charge.

gawwy
2014-01-13, 02:57 PM
have you considered the feral template from Savage Species?

im not sure what rules your group is using but i recently started a game where we got 4 la worth of templates/race(with RHD removed) to use on our characters. i ended up rolling a feral mineral warrior minoutaur with similar modifiers to yours. ended up with very similar stats to yours but among other things had pounce and improved grab at level 4.

Pounce allows a full attack on a charge and improved grab gives a free grapple attempt when you hit somthing with a claw.

the pounce makes your charge leathal as you get your power attack multi on every hit.

improved grab can be funny when combined with a +1 throwing returning amulet of natural attacks.

p.s. full break down of feral mineral warrior minotaur (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtffLUEkb0fsdDd2aThoQlFJZjJ1MnVfMmZUYjRwV EE&usp=sharing)

Invader
2014-01-13, 04:51 PM
Harpoons are either good or fantastic depending on your DM's interpretation of how much damage they do when being removed.

What other way of interpreting is there other that it does the initial damage again?

Know(Nothing)
2014-01-14, 01:04 PM
What other way of interpreting is there other that it does the initial damage again?

I think the way one of the entries was worded made it sound like it did the weapon damage again(1d10), not the weapon damage plus strength. Our tables have always ruled it includes the strength, I just vaguely recall some discussion about it.

Invader
2014-01-14, 01:46 PM
I think the way one of the entries was worded made it sound like it did the weapon damage again(1d10), not the weapon damage plus strength. Our tables hays ruled it includes the strength, I just vaguely recall some discussion about it.

Ahh Ok now I see what you're talking about. I just assumed that you would apply the same damage done initially a second time without the need to roll anything again. I can see how it could be read the other way as well.

Victharis
2014-02-03, 11:53 PM
I purposefully passed over lion totem barbarian because this class only ends up with two attacks in a full round attack-- War Hulk gives no BAB, only +2 Str per lvl.

Darrin
2014-02-04, 03:17 AM
I purposefully passed over lion totem barbarian because this class only ends up with two attacks in a full round attack-- War Hulk gives no BAB, only +2 Str per lvl.

You can use Legacy Champion to advance War Hulk, getting the +2 Str per level with a medium BAB. Or use a Skillful weapon.