PDA

View Full Version : Designing a gauntlet for one player, necessarily high level.

MonkeySage
2014-01-13, 04:39 AM
I had a thought to give one of my players, an evil drow, a chance to run through a Gauntlet, underneath a temple dedicated to Elistraee(Good aligned drow goddess).

The reward for completing this gauntlet would be a good aligned weapon with some pretty decent stats(the weapon contains a shard from an angel's greatsword). The secondary reward would be a chance for atonement. I'd of course let the player know he was getting this chance just so that he doesn't feel like he's forced to play good.

The idea is that he will not be allowed to call for help from the rest of his group.This would be his test(I have a test in mind for all of my players). He is currently a lowbie ranger, so to my mind i have plenty of time to plan this out. If the time comes and he doesn't want the chance for atonement, then i can simply recycle the dungeon for another time.

My thought is that the priests in the temple above designed this gauntlet so that it would be harder for an evil character to progress through it, and would in particular give their evil brethren a chance to change their ways.

I don't want to kill his character, but I do want him(the player) to feel like he can die.

The one human in this group is a cleric of kord/barbarian who believes this drow can be reformed, and has been making subtle attempts to help this process along.

Grayson01
2014-01-13, 06:15 AM
Have a lot of the Minions Have the Smite Evil, Circle Ageinst Evil, Protection from Evil as class features. Have some of them have DR/good, such as captured Devils and Demons to fight. Have Holy Flame that harms evil flash from portions of the enviroment.

Callin
2014-01-13, 07:22 AM
Could also do the whole save the child or go for the gold conundrum. Let him start thinking about being good. Morality choices with maybe some combat and critical thinking.

MonkeySage
2014-01-13, 04:49 PM
I asked the player if he'd like the opportunity to atone his character and he's given the go ahead. My idea is that the weapon at the end is significant to the plot(the shard within is part of a key, a shard from a sword that an angel used, that unlocks a demon portal). I can set up a sort of tree pattern in the dungeon, different paths leading to different parts of the key to unlock the central portion. Each path presents a different moral dilemma, and perhaps might even directly relate to aspects of the adventurer's own inner demons.
At the moment for example he is stuggling with his anger towards Lolth, his developing friendship with the cleric that saved his life, and the situation surrounding his own exile.