PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Enter the Arena Campaign:ideas/assistance

XxMetalxHeadxX
2014-01-13, 05:27 AM
So I've been watching a ton of Spartacus lately and I've originally gotten the idea from a friend of a friend a while ago who used to run arena/gladiator themed campaigns with story in and out of the arena. I know someone else has started a thread about the idea/topic, but I think its kinda old and I figured I'd start my own because I have a bunch of ideas for one that I want to try. I've never GM'd before so there will probably be some difficulties with that alone, however I have friends who actively GM that will assist me with that.
So the idea is to make a Roman type gladiator themed campaign with some player verse player and cooperative play elements. I want to make the characters cheap, and for everyone who plays I'll be giving them pre generated identities, probably like randomized Race/Class/origin. Everyone will be starting out as slaves to be used in the arena. You start out with nothing, and if are caught in possession of something it will "likely" be taken from you. This gives added difficulties for people who are like wizards, you're not allowed to have your spell book! So I figure if you get stuck with the roll of a wizard, well guess what, you start out hiding your spell book in your underwear, dont let the guards find it or you lose it! or perhaps you rather tattoo your spells into your arm so that you wont have a need for one in the first place. However win favor in the arena, and get awarded, maybe you're allowed some possessions, money, promise of earning freedom, trust. The bloodworks, or where you train and sleep will have merchants/blacksmiths/random npcs to win favor with. Win a great battle and maybe get to visit the local tavern, win the favor of your dominus and be brought to private showings getting to interact with nobility. Misbehave, or steal and get tortured, lose privileges, thrown against impossible odds, or get executed. In battle maybe the crowd favors you to increase your winnings, perhaps avoid death if you lose a battle in the arena by favor of the guest praetor, to later be used by him in some plot for political conquest, betray him to a senator to earn your freedom. Scheme to flip the tides of the politics in the arena and perhaps become the new owner of your fellow slaves(/player characters).
I want the characters that play in the campaign to really have to earn there path to glory, and I want it to be easy to reroll characters. If you die, I dont want to have people coming into the campaign with a new character where they left off, but I also dont want the other player characters to be so far ahead that it is imposable to catch up or to stand a chance.

Probably a whole ton of ideas I'm taking from Spartacus here, but I seek to make them my own, this obviously needs a lot of work.

I figure to make a lot of this work, im going to have to set up quite a bit of percentile rolls, percentile for the crowds favor, VIP spectators, masters, etc...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks