PDA

View Full Version : Help for a pathfinder Sorc?

Killer Angel
2014-01-13, 07:47 AM
We are going to start a PF campaign, from lev. 1 ‘til 16 (the campaign is composed by 6 modules: I don’t know if we’ll take it to the end, given the precedents with this DM, we could well abandon it at half).
Anyway, we’re going to make first lev. Char. (a group of four: we still have to see if 4 PCs or 3 PCs and 1 NPC).
One of the pc will be a monk (zen archer), mine character will be a sorc.
I want to optimize it, keeping in mind that I still don’t know exactly what levels she will reach.
I would have liked something with metamagic reducers, but the books allowed are only the PF core rulebook and the advanced players guide, and I fear there are few thing in them (plus, no sweet things ala paragon surge or mnemonic vestment)

Here’s my starting idea:
RACE: human (always good) or half-elf (the free feat skill focus: UMD, is solid at low levels). In both cases, I’ll use the human fav. class option for sorcs.

BLOODLINE: arcane (leaving aside the goodness of the bonus spells, I’m planning to pick “Arcane bond: familiar”, then I’ll take Improved familiar: Mephit)

FEATS: at first level, probably I’ll have Skill Focus – UMD (if HE, otherwise toughness), and I think to pick Extend Spell (see later for the reason)

SPELLS:
0° (Detect magic. Prestidigitation. Mage hand. Message. Dancing light.)
1° (Mage armor. Color spray.)
Color spray will be changed later, when it’ll start to be of no use.

TRAITS: I was thinking to pick the trait that gives +2 to initiative (the name escapes me), and Magical lineage (you Pick one spell. When you apply metamagic feats, you treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell's final adjusted level. I know it’s very limited, and there are better traits, but this means that if I choose Mage Armor, I can start since the beginning to use Extend Spell, and there’s not only me, but also the zen archer to protect)

What do you think? better alternatives for the starting build? Any suggestion for the future?

Kudaku
2014-01-13, 09:39 AM
It sounds like you're going to play an adventure path - do you know which one? Some advice may be more or less valid depending on the campaign :smallsmile:

My first thought is that you won't be able to take the human favored class bonus (extra spells known) if you're a half-elf. With Paragon Surge off the table you're probably better off going with Human.

Killer Angel
2014-01-13, 09:49 AM
It sounds like you're going to play an adventure path - do you know which one? Some advice may be more or less valid depending on the campaign :smallsmile:

It should be the Jade Regent

My first thought is that you won't be able to take the human favored class bonus (extra spells known) if you're a half-elf.

the most recent FAQ says I can. :smallwink:

Kudaku
2014-01-13, 09:50 AM
Argh, I was just browsing the FAQ to double-check that. Handy! That makes the half-elf the undisputably best sorcerer race in the game.

I don't really have any experience with the Jade Regent adventure path, so all I can suggest is reading the Player's Guide and maybe browse the Paizo forum for that AP, just watch out for spoilers!

Spore
2014-01-13, 11:23 AM
SF UMD and Toughness on 1, Extend Spell on 3 or 5.

Killer Angel
2014-01-13, 01:42 PM
I don't really have any experience with the Jade Regent adventure path, so all I can suggest is reading the Player's Guide and maybe browse the Paizo forum for that AP, just watch out for spoilers!

I would really avoid spoilers, so I'll skip those threads.

SF UMD and Toughness on 1, Extend Spell on 3 or 5.

It is an option, indeed. But i can pick toughness at 3, and with magical lineage, i could apply extend to mage armor since the first day. And mage armor is the kind of spell you will use basically forever, so the trait isn't wasted even at higher levels.

I'm seriously divided beween HE and human. With paragon surge not available, HE is less appealing, so it boils down to what's best: the additional skill points (with a probable int 12, I won't have so many), or the half-elf racial goodies (bonuses to ST, low light vision, yadda yadda).