PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Sleep Spells?

Fidelacchius
2014-01-13, 10:08 AM
Question: Has anybody come put with some cool researched spells that deal with sleep effects or dream magic? Especially higher level spells.

Color: I'm running a game in a couple weeks for my friends and wife has agreed to join us. Yippee!

She'd like to play an elf sorcerer specializing in sleep magic. Cool, sounds like a fun idea, there's even a bloodline for it.

Problem; not a whole lot of sleep magic available in the sorcerer/wizard spell book, and very few sleep effects, esspecially at higher level. Also a couple of the other players are really good at character design and I'd don't want her to be a shrinking violet by comparison.

Other info: We're starting out at level 3, on the fast track, and I'm hoping to make it to around level 15, but probably not 20 (though that would be great if it happened). I'm allowing people to use the race builder (standard rules, 15 rp max) for the game since it's a custom world where all the races have mixed together in a big melting pot. I made a custom race for her, relevant points being she has a +2 cha instead of int and the Dreamspeaker racial trait.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-13, 10:25 AM
Has she seen the Witch? It's a full progression intelligence based caster whose 'spellbook' is a familiar. Along with spells, they get hexes, one of which is the sleep hex. It acts like a sleep spell against one target, only it doesn't have an HD cap and the save scales with your level, being half CL+Intelligence mod for save. You can use it unlimited times per day, but only once per target. Still, it can trivialize encounters against the right foes or if you get lucky.

Dalebert
2014-01-13, 10:28 AM
Along with spells, they get hexes, one of which is the sleep hex.

It's also spammable. It's not limited in usage like spells, though it's limited to once per day on any particular target. They also eventually can get eternal slumber, which is a sleep that's nigh impossible to wake up from.

stack
2014-01-13, 11:37 AM
I believe accursed hex will let you use it twice on one target. If they save twice, then you are targeting the wrong save.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-13, 12:14 PM
I believe accursed hex will let you use it twice on one target. If they save twice, then you are targeting the wrong save.
Or they got lucky. It's happened.
One thing that should be noted is you must next try again next round, or forfeit the second chance.

Fidelacchius
2014-01-13, 12:16 PM
Has she seen the Witch? It's a full progression intelligence based caster whose 'spellbook' is a familiar. Along with spells, they get hexes, one of which is the sleep hex. It acts like a sleep spell against one target, only it doesn't have an HD cap and the save scales with your level, being half CL+Intelligence mod for save. You can use it unlimited times per day, but only once per target. Still, it can trivialize encounters against the right foes or if you get lucky.

Yeah, but we already have a witch in the party. We also have a melee summoner, barbarian, black powder inquisitor and 2 more unknowns.

Besides, one of the main reasons she enjoys playing a sorcerer is she's more into the role playing story part and wants a character with more charisma. I'm just trying to come up with more sleep spells, but maybe I could come up with one based on that hex...

I'm also looking for sleep effects, that don't necessarily put a person to sleep. Like maybe controls a persons body while they are asleep or allows group astral projection while sleeping.

Dalebert
2014-01-13, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but we already have a witch in the party.

The witch is going to be better than her at putting people to sleep. Maybe she should reconsider her theme.

I'm also looking for sleep effects, that don't necessarily put a person to sleep. Like maybe controls a persons body while they are asleep or allows group astral projection while sleeping.

Your body is basically asleep while astral projecting so that's probably a good fit as is. Maybe also look at spells that have dream-like themes like Phantasmal Killer.

Drachasor
2014-01-13, 01:10 PM
The easiest solution is to use what PF has (not much) and then grab more spells from 3.5 (a bunch).

That said, I think this lends itself pretty naturally to using Illusion (Shadow) spells too. The stuff of dreams come to life from a certain point of view. But again 3.5 is better with this than PF.

Dalebert
2014-01-13, 02:49 PM
That said, I think this lends itself pretty naturally to using Illusion (Shadow) spells too. The stuff of dreams come to life from a certain point of view. But again 3.5 is better with this than PF.

There's a lot of fun with illusion stuph if you're creative. Plus, there's built-in versatility which is nice for a sorcerer with a limited spells known.