PDA

View Full Version : is there such a thing as a monk that doesn't shout shaolin and isn't psionic based??

dehro
2014-01-13, 10:12 AM
pretty much what it says on the tin.
I find the oriental martial-arsty monk with ki attacks completely out of character for a classic fantasy setting, and psionics get on my nerves...
so.. purely out of curiosity, I have no immediate plans or needs for one in a game, is there such a thing as a class that is based on a monastic-type character with severe behavioural/martial restrictions and a skillset that is fairly unique?
Yes, I'm looking for one class, not a blend of any numbers of classes to obtain the same effect... so, basically a monk, but one that doesn't make you shout "sayonara" whenever you look at him.
homebrews are welcome too.

georgie_leech
2014-01-13, 10:17 AM
The answer that leaps to mind is a Cloistered Cleric taking all the Vows, as most of them are based on real-world religious orders and their restrictions. There might be better options out there, but that seems to get across the focus on meditation and knowledge, the divine/holy connection, and the emphasis on personal purity and non-violence.

Segev
2014-01-13, 10:20 AM
The word "monk" generally refers to three classifications of people:

The "shoalin" monk of D&D
Specific kinds of religious hermits
Western-style monks, e.g. those of Gregorian Chanter fame

The latter two are actually closely related.

Of note, until I saw the picture in 3e, I read the rules for "monks" in 1e and 2e and thought, "why are these scholars in brown robes so awesome and punching that they do more damage with their bare hands than a fighter with a great sword?" I felt a little silly, but the whole rest of the material had a very western/medieval feel, so the context of "eastern monk" never occurred to me.

Now, when you say, "I want a monk that doesn't make you say 'sayonara,'" what, to you, makes a monk? Are you looking for unarmed fighting prowess? If so, you're either going to have to drop the "monastic" aspect of "being a monk," or you're going to have to accept "kung fu fighter" as part of it. If you're looking for the "monastic" angle, you could resculpt a Cloistered Cleric or even an Expert or Factotum into being a quiet guy in brown robes who has spent years studying in private or monastic contemplation.

Red Fel
2014-01-13, 10:24 AM
Pretty much what the above posters have said. What you want is one of two things. You want the fluff of Monk - a scholar and theologian, removed from the world to study divine truth. That's a Cloistered Cleric. You want the crunch of Monk - an unarmed combatant. That's a Fighter, Warblade, or Swordsage. (Note that, if used improperly, these latter two may contain lethal amounts of MSG.)
That's basically it, as I see it.

Psyren
2014-01-13, 10:31 AM
You can do "wandering Buddhist Monk" instead of "fighting Shaolin Monk" easily in Pathfinder - simply combine the Monk of the Lotus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-lotus) and Ki Mystic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/ki-mystic) archetypes. Focus on pacifying monsters without fighting them, and when combat is inevitable, protecting your allies with zen advice at the right moments instead of engaging in combat directly.

Though Ki Mystic is technically incompatible with the vows, Vow of Peace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-vows/vow-of-peace) (PF version) fits so well with this combination flavorwise that I would allow its use.

Kudaku
2014-01-13, 10:31 AM
Cloistered Cleric is a good option, so are various archetypes of Bard (Archivist for example). I haven't read the class in a while but I believe the 3.5 Archivist might fit the bill as well.

Metahuman1
2014-01-13, 10:32 AM
You could always play an Unarmed Swordsage, just make sure you never take any Shadow Hand or Dessert Wind Maneuvers. Maybe if your really adverse to them take it easy on/avoid Tiger Claw maneuvers.

Setting Sun is basically a Judo/Tai-Chi/Akido fighting style, all about soft power and throws and the like.

Diamond Mind is all about using absolute focus and meditative frame of mind to do things in a fight.

Stone Dragon is all but called Iron Hand/Iron body, which is a real thing.

Add suitable skill ranks as you see fit. You've got 6+int mod of them, shouldn't be hard.

Telonius
2014-01-13, 10:34 AM
A Sacred Fist build very light on Monk levels could work. It misses out on most of the ki flavor, but still has some special behavioral requirements.

If you're using Dragon material, there are a few other options.

The "Sidewinder Monk" from Dragon 331 gets rid of some of the wuxia fluff.

Sacred Path monks from Dragon 346 are specifically dedicated to a particular deity. They get a special ability, but their bonus feats are chosen for them.

Dragon 358 has "Franciscan Friar" and "Knight Hospitaller" variants on the Monk class. (Same deal as Sacred Path; special ability, but bonus feats chosen for them).

dehro
2014-01-13, 10:35 AM
ok, so..cloistered cleric seems to be the best option, fluff-wise.
as for crunch... I'm not sure really that a character of a fantasy setting that is sufficiently non cleric to be called a monk or something like it, would have much in the way of crunch/punching skill... so, I guess cloistered it is.

Flickerdart
2014-01-13, 10:38 AM
Friar Tuck is a pretty good example of a Western monk who can hold his own in combat. Fancy quarterstaff tricks and a religious background strike me as a good fit for a Crusader or Swordsage.

watchwood
2014-01-13, 10:54 AM
Look up the Martial Artist Monk, from Pathfinder. It trades all the ki-powered abilities for extra feats and some other interesting replacements.

dehro
2014-01-13, 11:00 AM
Friar Tuck is a pretty good example of a Western monk who can hold his own in combat. Fancy quarterstaff tricks and a religious background strike me as a good fit for a Crusader or Swordsage.

funny you should say that.. he did come to mind as an example. I just forgot to mention him.