PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts!? Part 2

GutterFace
2014-01-13, 11:55 AM
can someone explain this to me. is this right? anything i touch, to wear becomes incorporeal if i am a ghost? or does it apply to items i HAD before i became a ghost?

directly copied from the WoTc site

"Any equipment worn or carried by an incorporeal creature is also incorporeal as long as it remains in the creature's possession. An object that the creature relinquishes loses its incorporeal quality (and the creature loses the ability to manipulate the object). If an incorporeal creature uses a thrown weapon or a ranged weapon, the projectile becomes corporeal as soon as it is fired and can affect a corporeal target normally (no miss chance). Magic items possessed by an incorporeal creature work normally with respect to their effects on the creature or on another target. Similarly, spells cast by an incorporeal creature affect corporeal creatures normally."

GutterFace
2014-01-13, 03:33 PM
Nothing? , well then im going to say something nonsensicle until i am corrected. i touch a wagon, making it incorporeal and weightless and then drop it on someone, leaving my hands, becoming corporeal, killing them

AuraTwilight
2014-01-13, 04:48 PM
Items that are on your character's corpse are what you have an incorporeal copy of.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-13, 06:42 PM
Where did you find that text?

It's not in the incorporeal subtype's text and this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Jack_Simth
2014-01-13, 07:08 PM
Where did you find that text?

It's not in the incorporeal subtype's text and this is the first I've ever heard of it.
The Monster Manual III expanded on the Incorporeal Subtype. Page 214.

Nothing? , well then im going to say something nonsensicle until i am corrected. i touch a wagon, making it incorporeal and weightless and then drop it on someone, leaving my hands, becoming corporeal, killing them
By default, doesn't work - as an incorporeal, you can't grab the wagon to do any manipulation on it. The Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis) changes this, however. Additionally, it has to be 'worn or carried' - so you need to be able to apply enough force to pick up the wagon to pull this off. As a Ghost, you actually have a Strength score (as it applies on the Ethereal Plane), so this is workable... if you're really strong and have the Ghostly Grasp feat.

can someone explain this to me. is this right? anything i touch, to wear becomes incorporeal if i am a ghost? or does it apply to items i HAD before i became a ghost?
Ghosts are strange creatures in 3.5 D&D. On the Ethereal plane, they're corporeal. Everywhere else, they're Incorporeal. If you pick up something on the Ethereal Plane, and manifest, yes, you're holding it, and it's incorporeal. If you are manifested and grab a Ghost Touch Weapon (or armor) it's incorporeal for you, you can put it on, and everything applies as normal. If it's *not* ghost touch, and it's not on the Ethereal Plane, you'll need some other method by which to grab it before it falls under the 'wielded or worn' by an incorporeal creature clause.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-13, 07:37 PM
For clarity, are we still talking about ghostwalk ghosts or is this a MM ghost? They're wildly different templates.

In any case, that's a very odd rule.

As an incorporeal creature you can't actually touch anything to pick it up under normal circumstances but, apparently, if you bypass that issue then whatever items you take possession of become incorporeal.

However, that won't work for a wagon. Vehicles have special rules outlined in the arms and equipment guide and one of those rules is that vehicles -never- count as attended objects.

GutterFace
2014-01-13, 07:48 PM
For clarity, are we still talking about ghostwalk ghosts or is this a MM ghost? They're wildly different templates.

In any case, that's a very odd rule.

As an incorporeal creature you can't actually touch anything to pick it up under normal circumstances but, apparently, if you bypass that issue then whatever items you take possession of become incorporeal.

However, that won't work for a wagon. Vehicles have special rules outlined in the arms and equipment guide and one of those rules is that vehicles -never- count as attended objects.

true the wagon nonsense was to get it back on the first page, and of course nonsensical

i went to Wotc and just looked up

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_incorporealsubtype&alpha=

see paragraph 3

but yes still referring to ghostwalk Eidolon.

OldTrees1
2014-01-13, 08:04 PM
An Ethereal Ghost grabs an Ethereal Javelin.
The Ethereal Ghost manifests (becomes Incorporeal), the Javelin is now Incorporeal.
The Incorporeal Ghost throws the Incorporeal Javelin. The Javelin becomes Material in flight.
The Incorporeal Ghost now uses Ghostly Grasp to pick up the Material Javelin. The Javelin remains Material.
The Incorporeal Ghost stops manifesting. The Material Javelin drops to the ground.

Jack_Simth
2014-01-13, 08:23 PM
An Ethereal Ghost grabs an Ethereal Javelin.
The Ethereal Ghost manifests (becomes Incorporeal), the Javelin is now Incorporeal.
The Incorporeal Ghost throws the Incorporeal Javelin. The Javelin becomes Material in flight.
The Incorporeal Ghost now uses Ghostly Grasp to pick up the Material Javelin. The Javelin remains Material.
Note: The Monster Manual III expansion would have it become Incorporeal again.

The Incorporeal Ghost stops manifesting. The Material Javelin drops to the ground.Or possibly drags it back to the Ethereal Plane.

OldTrees1
2014-01-13, 08:49 PM
Note: The Monster Manual III expansion would have it become Incorporeal again. Or possibly drags it back to the Ethereal Plane.

I believe Ghostly Grasp ("You can wear, wield, and otherwise use corporeal items as though you were not incorporeal.") is an exception.