PDA

View Full Version : How do I help out my DM?

Tychris1
2014-01-13, 12:45 PM
Alright, so my DM has a custom setting that is an extension of our last campaign. Our old characters ascended to Godhood, took over civilizations, and proceeded to advance the world into a kind of magitech steampunk setting since then. Guns and all the ritz. Now, our party currently consists of:

Me (An Olethrofex/Dread Necromancer who's the Genderbent fusion of the Witch Queen of Angmar and Batman, yes this is gestalt)
Player 1 (A Crystal Dragon/Artificer)
Player 2 (A Half Minotaur Crusader/Knight)

Now, in this setting he decided to create his own crafting system. Nice, more power to him. It's called "The Electric Forge". In order to use it you need a pass, which costs about 3-5 thousand gold, and a new resource he made up called "Essences" which are basically soul rocks. The exact cost of the essences is undetermined yet, but I don't think they're expensive either because we have gotten quite a few and we're only level 2. Alright, so the Electric Forge is a bit of a random number generator. First you roll a 1d6 and consult a chart to see what type of weapon or armor you make, which you modify based on how many ranks you have in craft (Tech) though I think he means modifier because Player 1 can modify it by +1 or -1 and he only has 5 ranks in it but has a +9 modifier (The threshold to -1 or +1 is 10 ranks). From there you roll a 1d100 and consult a chart that says what the effect is. You can spend action points to modify the result by 1d30, up to 5 times. There are also "Strong" versions of regular essences that add a further +20 to the roll. For his first time crafting with an "Agile" essence (I don't know what the charts are or anything aside from their names and general meaning, which fluxuates aswell), at level 1, Player 1 rolled a 99 and made my Heavy Flail a +1 "Of the Ninja" Flail (adds +4 to reflex saves, after you hit someone they have to take a dc 20 reflex save or suffer 1d10 damage per character level). Afterwards he got a "Strong" divine essence, and made a Tower Shield by rolling a natural 80, which equated to a 100. He tossed it to Player 2, and now our third player has Regeneration 12 that is only bypassed by evil, a +4 shield, and the ability to do a fullround action (Requires a DC 20 concentration check) that forces an evil outsider to pass a DC 40 Will Save or be banished.

Our Player 1 is kind of just mashing the Electric Forge and hitting the jackpot, going so far as to craft a Greatsword that inflicts Negative Levels, Negative Energy Damage, AND forces someone to take a Will save or die every time I hit them. I don't know what to do to help him out, since he doesn't like backtracking and retconning away the ridiculous shield and sword. Any advice?

erikun
2014-01-13, 01:59 PM
At this point, the best thing to do is to just say that he thought the Forge was a neat idea, but that the items it makes are too powerful, and ask everyone if they're fine with retconning the sword and shield.

The only other option I can think of is to make the Forge the central aspect of the story, where a group of people have some highly absurd weaponry from it and are trying to steal all the other Electric Forges around the country so that their rule is uncontested.

GM.Casper
2014-01-13, 04:28 PM
...or that there is some kind of secret, sinister catch to it. Like a demon showing up and saying that they have maxed out their credit and its time to pay up now.
"What, you didn't read the EULA for the Electric Forge? Section 2, paragraph 3, 'I OWN YOUR SOUL NOW'. Right there."

Lord Torath
2014-01-13, 05:23 PM
...and the ability to do a fullround action (Requires a DC 20 concentration check) that forces an evil outsider to pass a DC 40 Will Save or be banished..."You want my soul? Try and get it!" I'm not certain how effective the Devilish Repossession Team is going to be...

Yeah, I think the DM's best option is to retcon it. I would assume you're alright with giving up your sword in the name of fun? Then it just becomes a question of whether the other guys are willing to go for it. Then you just need to convince the DM! :smallwink:

Rhynn
2014-01-13, 05:39 PM
"You want my soul? Try and get it!" I'm not certain how effective the Devilish Repossession Team is going to be...

Weeeell... this:

"What, you didn't read the EULA for the Electric Forge? Section 2, paragraph 3, 'I OWN YOUR SOUL NOW'. Right there."

sounds like it would fit Lawful Neutral just as well as

forces an evil outsider to pass a DC 40 Will Save or be banished

So the Inevitable Repossession Team, maybe? :smallbiggrin: