PDA

View Full Version : Greater Magic Weapon

McClintock
2014-01-13, 01:49 PM
I've read and re-read GMW and I am still slightly confused. My Question is this: is it 1+1/4 level (max of +5 at 16th)or just 1/4 levels (max of +5 at 20th)?

I just need a clarification to get my numbers correct for my attack matrix.

MAGIC WEAPON
Magic weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (An enhancement bonus does not stack with a masterwork weapon’s +1 bonus on attack rolls.)

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

GREATER MAGIC WEAPON
This spell functions like magic weapon, except that it gives a weapon an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5).

Alternatively, you can affect as many as fifty arrows, bolts, or bullets. The projectiles must be of the same kind, and they have to be together (in the same quiver or other container). Projectiles, but not thrown weapons, lose their transmutation when used. (Treat shuriken as projectiles, rather than as thrown weapons, for the purpose of this spell.)

prufock
2014-01-13, 01:53 PM
The bonus is equal to 1/4 caster level. You don't stack the +1 bonus from MW because they are both enhancements.

McClintock
2014-01-13, 02:05 PM
not trying to stack, just trying to understand the wording. It says that it is exactly like the +1 from magic weapon except that it get +1/4levels. SO what you are saying, and I am not arguing, just clarifying, is that it is only the +1/4 not +1 then include 1/4 after that, which is how I was reading it.

This spell functions like magic weapon, except that it gives a weapon an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5)

I was reading its the +1, but does not end there... add 1/4 levels after that to a max of 5

prufock
2014-01-13, 02:10 PM
it is only the +1/4 not +1 then include 1/4 after that
This is the correct way. When it says "except" it means instead of the normal bonus.

georgie_leech
2014-01-13, 02:11 PM
not trying to stack, just trying to understand the wording. It says that it is exactly like the +1 from magic weapon except that it get +1/4levels. SO what you are saying, and I am not arguing, just clarifying, is that it is only the +1/4 not +1 then include 1/4 after that, which is how I was reading it.

This spell functions like magic weapon, except that it gives a weapon an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5)

I was reading its the +1, but does not end there... add 1/4 levels after that to a max of 5

The "except" part replaces the entirety of the enhancement bonus; the +1 from the regular Magic Weapon spell isn't a part of GMW.

McClintock
2014-01-13, 02:12 PM
cool, thank you... that helps very much.

Yomega
2014-01-13, 02:32 PM
To help clarify +5 is at caster lvl 20