PDA

View Full Version : Skill Focused Martial Archer (3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-13, 02:01 PM
I've been wanting to make a martial archer for some time now... But I don't know how to integrate skills to such a thing.

Ive built up a Factotum 3/Targeteer fighter 1/Ranger 2/Deepwood sniper 10/Something 4

but it falls empty on damage. what can I do to increase it? I would like to be able to deal decent damage each round, or at least enough to kill mooks with a standard full attack... All of this between 60ft-200ft of range.

I would also like to be able to assassinate any enemy with some preparation (like high crit multiplier and stuff) possibly with only 1 shot, but a full attack works...

I would also like to keep a bunch of skills maxed, so If possible, few classes with 2+ int skills D:

How would Chameleon work for this?

DM hates psionics so those are a no-no.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-13, 02:47 PM
Ok, well one build is the Scout 4 / ranger 16 swift tracker build. Get greater manyshot as quickly as possible and go to town with 7d6 skirmish and favored enemy bonuses. It doesn't work outside 30ft through.

Other than that, you are stuck with seeking out sniper's shot for extra damage at a distance.

For this I would go for a Cloistered Cleric 1 / Factotum 3 / Chameleon 10 / Something X

You want to play with DMM persist to persist hunter's eye for a nice pool of sneak attack dice. Get your Cl as high as possible and launch those arrows using sniper's shot to extend your sneak attack range to as far as you can shoot.

Xerlith
2014-01-13, 04:11 PM
Sigh. Make it factotum 8 to have more Inspiration points and additional Standard Actions in a round.

Factotum8/Decisive Strike Martial Monk2/Targeteer Figher2/Swordsage8 could be good. Not too sure about it though.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-13, 04:18 PM
Sigh. Make it factotum 8 to have more Inspiration points and additional Standard Actions in a round.

Factotum8/Decisive Strike Martial Monk2/Targeteer Figher2/Swordsage8 could be good. Not too sure about it though.

How would decisive strike work? Like how do I make a composite longbow into a monk weapon?

Also, Is the x2 from decisive strike additive to crit or multiplicative (for example crit is x6, would it become x7 dmg or x12 dmg?)

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-13, 05:18 PM
How does the Sniper class feature of the Targeteer interact with Improved Critical?

(I'll be asking this question in the FAQ thread, but I wanted to post it here too because of reading this)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-13, 05:30 PM
How does the Sniper class feature of the Targeteer interact with Improved Critical?

(I'll be asking this question in the FAQ thread, but I wanted to post it here too because of reading this)

By RaW it stacks with anything.

Yea, I too wanna make a bow/crossbow that crits on a 10. then use that feat that lates you take 10 in any attack roll.

:trollface:

so,
How would decisive strike work? How do I go about to make a composite longbow into a monk weapon?

Also, Is the x2 from decisive strike additive to crit or multiplicative (for example crit is x6, would it become x7 dmg or x12 dmg?)

Also, Sniper from Targeteer says it replaces strength for the bow... what does that mean? It means that it doesnt matter if the bow is composite or not?

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-13, 06:24 PM
so,
How would decisive strike work? How do I go about to make a composite longbow into a monk weapon?

Also, Sniper from Targeteer says it replaces strength for the bow... what does that mean? It means that it doesnt matter if the bow is composite or not?

Well I've got nothing on the monk issue, sorry. I'm inexperienced with monks and I just recently started picking up archery.

On the other matters I can speak wisdom:

-Anything that doubles damage adds 100%, anything that triples damage adds 200%. And so on. This is fact.

-RAW it replaces STR-based damage for ranged weapons, which means there has to be STR-based damage on the first place, it's poorly phrased but as it is you need to be able to add your STR mod to the damage roll. Therefore when you use a composite bow you apply your DEX mod to damage.

Although I would rule it that it just adds DEX to damage, no matter your bow, which would stack with STR from composites, because they have nothing to do with each other.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-13, 09:40 PM
Apart from the getting decisive strike as a ranged character issue...

How would the splitting enhancement work with a hunter's mercy affected shot?

Seerow
2014-01-13, 09:45 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284283

Just gonna throw a link to that thread as a reference. A whole bunch of different builds there that get decent ranged damage without relying on precision damage. Lots of cool stuff there.