PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Archivist

Donny_Green
2014-01-13, 02:45 PM
So the important details to spare. Level 4 Archivist/ 1 cloistered cleric.

4 feats at level 1 using UA trade offs for 2. (school focus, conj / rapid spell / meta school focus, conj/ spontaneous summoning.)

Level 3 feat - repeat spell, and level 6 feat DMM

Yes this is a summoning build.

Pagnostic apostle and thramauturgist to be added as soon as I get to the right levels, so augment summoning is already covered.

Two things to remember, RAW doesn't allow twin spell or persistent spell on summoned creatures.

My real question comes from the options I have in domain choice for my 1 level dip of cleric. (Again RAW seem to mean I must have the knowledge Domain and any tradeoffs have to go through the other two Domain choices/ RAW as I understands it, my Domain spell list will not progress with anything but levels of cleric, and specific other PrC's)

So my options are:

Summoning Domain - The Domain power allows me to summon creatures for +2 rounds.

Planning Domain - Giving me the Extend Meta magic feat

Inquisition Domain - adding +4 to dispel spells (for a little added versatility)

Finally Divine Magician. This one stacks incredibly well with Archivist as it state's "Each time you gain the ability to cast a new level of cleric
spells, you can add a single wizard spell of the same level from
one of those schools to your cleric spell list." (CM. 33)

On the other hand it only allows spells from the adjuration, divination, or necromancy schools. (note, this ACF allows spells from these 3 schools to be added to the regular spell list, not the domain list.)

This could be advantageous but I don't know enough about the 3 schools to tell if it justifies giving up a Domain power)

So summoner, inquisition, planning. or DM ACF? Which two to pick? Why to pick them?

Please help with what ever opinions you guys and gals have.

eggynack
2014-01-13, 04:55 PM
It seems rather unwise to take a cloistered cleric dip in an archivist build, and especially unwise to do so in an archivist summoning build. Summoning is crazy level dependent like that. I mean, you get a few reasonable feats, but that is a lesser thing. I don't see anything that would stop you from trading the knowledge domain from cloistered cleric for knowledge devotion, by the way. Seems like a legal maneuver.

Donny_Green
2014-01-13, 07:30 PM
Good pick up on the Devotion feat trade outs... Knowledge devotion does me ****e as I'm not an actual damage dealer.

Also One level of cleric powers DMM/repeat. The one loss of spell progression doesn't hurt me too much if you figure I can summon monsters and natures allies.

eggynack
2014-01-13, 07:40 PM
Good pick up on the Devotion feat trade outs... Knowledge devotion does me ****e as I'm not an actual damage dealer.
Perhaps, but with the archivist skill list already providing you with all knowledges, and the archivist spell list already providing you with any domain spells you would care to name, the knowledge domain is almost certainly providing even less.

Also One level of cleric powers DMM/repeat. The one loss of spell progression doesn't hurt me too much if you figure I can summon monsters and natures allies.
Just take a level of sacred exorcist (CDiv, 56) if turning is what you seek. It's a pretty simple maneuver, and is definitely superior to picking the ability up from a cleric dip. Also, while you should almost never give up caster levels, including in this cleric dip case, you may want to consider looking into the malconvoker (CS, 48). It's easily one of the best summoning PrC's out there, and one of the reasons to be a non-druid summoner.

Donny_Green
2014-01-13, 07:51 PM
Sacred exorsist is out because this is an evil aligned campaign.

Yes I already looked into the Pc.