PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon questions (3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-13, 05:37 PM
Mainly on the Deevine and Arkain focuses. (derp)

Can a chameleon prepare spells from multiple lists (say lvl 1 spells from druid, ranger, lvl 2 and 3 from cleric lvl 4 from ranger and lvl 5 from druid? or does he need to choose a spell list and use that one?
Can he use the Adept list?

In the arcane focus, DO I need to have a spell book from someone else? or Can I make my own? (inscribe and stuff) what are the rule?

Once I get double Aptitude... Do both arcane and Divine share the same "Spells per day" pool or do they have separate ones (Cham at lvl 7 has 4 lvl 1 spells per the entry. If I take both divine and arcane focus does it mean it has 4 lvl 1 spells in total or 4 in arcane and 4 in divine?)

prufock
2014-01-13, 05:58 PM
It's a bit ambiguously worded, but the general assumption is that you can mix and match. There is no restriction in the text.

You can get a spellbook from a dip in any class that grants one or from the Magical Aptitude feat. You could also just borrow one, steal one, or make your own. Spellcraft checks apply.

Both divine and arcane focus indicate that you get the spells per day as listed on the table, so you'd get whatever number is listed for each focus.

Hikarizu
2014-01-13, 06:07 PM
Can a chameleon prepare spells from multiple lists (say lvl 1 spells from druid, ranger, lvl 2 and 3 from cleric lvl 4 from ranger and lvl 5 from druid? or does he need to choose a spell list and use that one?
Can he use the Adept list?
I believe he can mix and match spells from different spell list to create his spell selection for the day. And since he can take spells from ANY divine spellcaster list he can prepare even Adept spells.

In the arcane focus, DO I need to have a spell book from someone else? or Can I make my own? (inscribe and stuff) what are the rule?
I think with the use of spellcraft you could start your own spellbook by copying arcane scrolls just like wizard would expand his existing one.

Once I get double Aptitude... Do both arcane and Divine share the same "Spells per day" pool or do they have separate ones (Cham at lvl 7 has 4 lvl 1 spells per the entry. If I take both divine and arcane focus does it mean it has 4 lvl 1 spells in total or 4 in arcane and 4 in divine?)
Definitely two distinct spell progressions. The arcane one tied to Int and the divine one to Wis. So 4 arcane + bonus from Int and 4 divine + bonus from Wis.

Tedective
2014-01-13, 06:53 PM
Sorry if my form of typing is confusing, this is my first post here.

Whenever you select spellcasting aptitudes, you select which class's spell list you wish to emulate and can only cast spells of that list. If you select bard as your spell list, you can't cast or prepare wizard spells.

Furthermore, when selecting Arcane Focus, the arcane spells you prepare must be prepared from a spellbook, requiring you to either borrow a spellbook from a wizard, or start adding ones to yours.

Adding spells to a spellbook is different for Chameleons, as there is no rule given for non-wizards adding spells to spellbooks. A way around this is to select the Bonus Spell feat as your floating feat every day, adding a new spell to your spellbook each time you select the feat. The spell doesn't fade from your spellbook when you select a different floating feat too, allowing you to slowly accumulate every arcane spell possible in multiple books.
Each spellbook has 100 pages, and each spell takes 1 page per spell level, 0 level spells take 1 page.

A Chameleon using this method cannot, however, learn spells of the highest level he can cast, you'll still have to borrow/steal spellbooks from wizards or take a level in wizard and start scribing away.

If borrowing a spellbook, the Chameleon must make a DC 20+Spell level Spellcraft check or use the Read Magic spell to identify a spell in a spellbook. Upon success, the Chameleon can prepare that spell at a DC 15+Spell level Spellcraft check. Failure on either of these checks stops the Chameleon from trying again on that spell until the next day, so keep the Spellcraft skill up.

A chameleon may select any arcane caster's spell list to cast from too, but only one. You can select Adept spells, Sorcerer spells, Bard spells, Beguiler spells, or even Assassin spells. I advise looking at every caster's spell list and compiling them into class-specific, named spellbooks.

A way to gain money quickly is to buy empty spellbooks, fill them with feat-gotten spells, and sell them back for tremendous profit. As well, a Chameleon may take item creation feats as his floating feat, allowing him to create amazing items using the tremendous number of spells known via Bonus Spell.

If you select Divine Focus, you automatically know all spells of whichever spell list you select, even if the class who's spell list you're emulating doesn't normally allow it. This is because you cast the spells as a cleric, and clerics know all spells of castable spell lists.

I'm not sure, but I believe emulating a Divine Crusader would allow a Chameleon to prepare and cast spells from any domain.

With Double Aptitude, you may select both Arcane and Divine Focus, choosing two spell lists such as Assassin/Holy Liberator, Wu Jen/Shugenja, or even Duskblade/Blackguard. They share the same base number of spells per day, and bonus spells are gained by high intelligence or wisdom.

If you are also a wizard, you may start writing divine spells into your spellbook as a decoy for thieving wizards, confusing them when they attempt to learn its spells and fail at every one.