PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 & PF] Can i take free or swift action in nauseated condition?

isildur
2014-01-13, 06:00 PM
Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

By Raw, Free "action" and Swift "action" is an action, than i can't take it. but i found this

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_nauseated&alpha=

In core, there are no Swift actions, now i'm confused.

Which one is right?

1.Can take move, free and swift actions(except for casting quickened spells)
2.Can take a move and free actions
3.Can take move action only

avr
2014-01-13, 06:31 PM
In 3.5 core, 'casting quickened spells' is what swift actions grew out of. So 2), you can use a move action and free actions but not a swift action.

Edit: and PF seems to have no exemptions, you get a move action only.

SunfireSadar
2014-01-13, 06:38 PM
I believe options 1 & 2 are the same thing mechanically in the context of this discussion.

From the d20pfsrd, I found the following text regarding swift actions:

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. You can, however, perform only one single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action anytime you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting, activating a feat, or the activation of magic items.

Swift actions taking more energy than free actions seem to be represented by the limit of one/round.

The definition of nauseated isn't very clear, but it seems reasonable that if you can move that you can take free actions, swift, and immediate actions. That's how I've always understood it anyways! :smile:

TuggyNE
2014-01-13, 07:31 PM
Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

By Raw, Free "action" and Swift "action" is an action, than i can't take it. but i found this

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_nauseated&alpha=

In core, there are no Swift actions, now i'm confused.

Which one is right?

1.Can take move, free and swift actions(except for casting quickened spells)
2.Can take a move and free actions
3.Can take move action only

The glossary contradicts the actual rules text, and is therefore wrong. Only move actions can be taken, no other actions.