PDA

View Full Version : Don't Starve: Laugh at Maxwell's pain

XiaoTie
2014-01-13, 09:20 PM
Couldn't find a thread for this very fun game, so...

I got this game during the last holiday sale (mere seconds after the 92% discount wore off) but just got to play it today. All I have to say is: :O

Nah, that wasn't all I had to say. The art of the game is (at least for me) unique in a creepy cartoonish way, and the sound track/effects complement it damn near perfectly!

I'm not even through my first in-game month and I already love with the game.

Share your stories!

My first character died pretty fast as I lost a crapton of sanity from eating some strange shrooms and going down a couple wormholes, and then it got dark. Right now I'm on my second playthrough and I've managed to get the first two machines up and half a stone wall around my camp, where I spend the night planning what to do on the next day as I try to discover new interesting things to build.

factotum
2014-01-14, 03:14 AM
I've played it a couple of times (survived as long as day 14 in one of them, yay me :smallannoyed:) and I'm not sure about it. I think it's because the game is so utterly bleak, and also so utterly luck-based--you need to spawn in a good location to be able to build a decent base, and you need a decent base to be able to prototype most of the stuff you need to go wandering, so the first few days tend to be a frantic hunt to gather really basic resources. Then you die, and have to do it all over again. Would be nice if you could have a "new game plus" mode where you start with a science machine and some basic resources like logs and grass to remove some of that tedium from the first bit of each game...

XiaoTie
2014-01-14, 07:05 AM
Would be nice if you could have a "new game plus" mode where you start with a science machine and some basic resources like logs and grass to remove some of that tedium from the first bit of each game...

There is that option. At least there is one now, not sure about how it was before.

When you start a new game you have 3 options: Character/World/Cancel. If you go on "World" you can select how much of each resource is available AND the "Preset" area (on the left part of the screen) allows you to select "Default Plus" which is pretty much a new game with some of the basic prototypes.

Wookieetank
2014-01-14, 12:01 PM
I've played it a couple of times (survived as long as day 14 in one of them, yay me :smallannoyed:) and I'm not sure about it. I think it's because the game is so utterly bleak, and also so utterly luck-based--you need to spawn in a good location to be able to build a decent base, and you need a decent base to be able to prototype most of the stuff you need to go wandering, so the first few days tend to be a frantic hunt to gather really basic resources. Then you die, and have to do it all over again. Would be nice if you could have a "new game plus" mode where you start with a science machine and some basic resources like logs and grass to remove some of that tedium from the first bit of each game...

Spawn location doesn't matter that much really. I spend the first couple of nights wandering around with torches to find somewhere worth starting a base in. And if you haven't found any yet, swamps are terrifying.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-14, 02:56 PM
Spawn location doesn't mean much. You're expected to spend a few days just running around and exploring to find a good place for your home anyway.

And this game isn't bleak. It's goth, in an amusingly cartoony way. I like its style a lot. I think it's pretty great overall - it's similar to Minecraft, but with bigger focus on survival, exploration and advancement and less building giant dongs out of gold just to have some goal in the game.

Currently I'm playing adventure mode, and reached the fifth world. This one is going to be a challenge...
Endless darkness. As if King of Winter wasn't bad enough.

For newbies in this game, I have three pieces of advice:
1. Look for ways to bring yourself back to life when you die. A Touch Stone is usually close to where you start, and if you're Wilson, Meat Effigies are not hard to create.
2. Don't underestimate basic equipment. A spear, wooden armor and kiting tactics will let you kill most enemies in the game if you're patient and careful, even bosses.
3. If you're wounded, butterfly wings are the best early game source of healing.

Rosstin
2014-01-14, 06:23 PM
Tagged, I love this game. My only complaint is that it takes too long to play. As in, if you want a really good session you have to play for 4+ hours. I feel the same about FTL, another wonderful Roguelike. Although with FTL, at least you don't have to be playing twitch all the time.

Has anyone beat story mode? I'm near the end with Wilson, on the 3rd or 4th stage I think.

My favorite part of the game so far was surviving Winter the first time.

Beige Dragon
2014-01-14, 06:49 PM
Once you play through the game some, you can reliably survive 100+ days. I got it last christmas, played for 3-4 months till I beat adventure mode and had a game up to 100 days. I occasionally come back after a few updates. The last time I played was around the second or third cave update, the one with the *Spoilers*
Minotaury labyrinth rook creature

XiaoTie
2014-01-14, 08:02 PM
THIS GAME HAS AN END? HOLY CRAP!

My love for this game increased tenfold. I had no idea there was some sort of progression other than "get an awesome looking base, get shinier trinkets, be more of a bad-ass".

Died again after the 27th day. Got stuck inside 4 stone walls when I was walling my camp (didn't have my hammer on me). After reviving through the "revive-thingie" (I think it was a Touch Stone from what Tengu said) I was on my way back to the camp when 4 dog-like enemies attacked me (3 were blackish while one of them had a different reddish hue).

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-14, 11:09 PM
I like this game, love the aesthetic, but it's rather difficult at times. The roguelike nature of it makes things harder, because there's so much gameplay that takes so long to get into - it's hard to learn from your mistakes and try something different when you have to spend ten hours getting back to that point.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-14, 11:15 PM
Well, if you want to just learn the game, you can always copy your saves folder and do some savescumming.

I have some tricks and strategies for survival and food gathering, if anyone is interested.

XiaoTie
2014-01-14, 11:21 PM
Well, if you want to just learn the game, you can always copy your saves folder and do some savescumming.

I have some tricks and strategies for survival and food gathering, if anyone is interested.

Do share. I'm on my "second" game right now and after a thunder took out my entire grass farm (20 tufts) I went out and gathered material to get the lightning thingamajig, now I'm trying to get prepared for the winter (even though I still have about 20 days before it starts, I think)

Tengu_temp
2014-01-14, 11:48 PM
Okay, here's some advice.
Don't be afraid to turn the map (q and e keys) to get a better view on something. The f key makes you attack the nearest hostile target, which makes single-target kiting easier (against a tallbird for example) than using a mouse.

Digging up a tree stump with a shovel gives you a log. This is more resource-efficient than just cutting down trees and leaving the stumps.

Use a shovel to dig up lots of berry bushes and plant them at your home. Works for grass tufts and saplings too. Remember that a replanted bush or grass tuft (but not sapling) requires manure before it grows back. You get manure from beefalos, and by giving food to pigs.

Catch a butterfly with a net and plant it near your home for a flower that will spawn more butterflies. Repeat several times and you will get a big flower patch with lots of butterflies, which you can kill for food and healing. You don't even need to use a weapon - just get close to a butterfly empty-handed and press ctrl+f, you will punch it.

If you have gold and papyrus, make a bird cage and put a caught bird into it. A bird in a cage will lay an egg when fed most foods, even monster meat. This way you can survive comfortably off monster meat alone in winter (3 eggs + 1 monster meat is one of the many, many ways to get meatballs in the crock pot).

You get charcoal by setting fire to trees. You get ashes by setting fire to stuff on the ground. Drop a stack of 10 grass, set it on fire and wait a moment, and you have a stack of 10 ashes.

Give meat (including monster meat) and stuff you find in graves to the Pig King and he will give you gold.

Catching rabbits with traps without bait - put a trap on the ground between the rabbit and its hole, then approach the rabbit from the other direction and watch it run into the trap.

Traps work on spiders. When hunting spiders, never destroy all lairs - they're the only way for spiders to respawn, making them useful for farming silk and glands.

Wear a backpack, but carry armor with you. When enemies are close, simply put on the armor instead of the backpack. It will be visible on the map so you won't lose it.

Make a heat stone for winter. It's the best way to stay warm. If you're Wilson, a beard helps a lot too. Shave your beard after winter to get beard hair for meat effigies.

You can be relatively safe in a swamp, as long as you keep moving and stop only when you're ABSOLUTELY sure there are no tentacles in near vicinity.

Smash pig heads with a hammer for the precious pig skin. There are always 4 pig heads around a touch stone.

When you're about to be attacked by hounds, a good idea is to stay near pigs or a beehive. They will automatically attack the hounds, and will often tank hits for you too when the hounds aggro onto the other creatures.

Repairing your clothes with a sewing kit is almost always more efficient than making new ones, unless you have a lot of silk and very few teeth.
By the way, I love how this game pretty much encourages you to wear a top hat most of the time once you can make one (which is fairly simple, all you need is a science machine and some silk). Because top hats are awesome.

shadow_archmagi
2014-01-15, 07:23 AM
I'd like to add my own two cents to your survival advice:

BEES. No seriously, they're a fantastic part of the ecosystem. Honey is magical stuff, as I'll mention below.

How to get them: I suggest using a bug net. If you abduct one bee, the hive will deploy a handful of angry bees, but if you evade them for a few seconds they'll return home non-angry. Then you can just repeat the process until you are the proud owner of every bee in the hive, and can loot it at your leisure.

CROCKPOT. The Crockpot is a game all of its own, but here are a few basic rules of the pot:

1. Food that comes out of it will always be less spoiled than food that goes in.

2. You can substitute ONE monster meat for regular meat in the pot without any ill effects. If you were only planning on using one meat, then go ahead and turn that poisonous food into delicious food! Honey is great for this- make spider-nuggets!

Rosstin
2014-01-15, 12:06 PM
Who is everyone's favorite character?

It's tough for me to choose... I like Wendy for cuteness, Wickerbottom for her easy start, Wilson for being balanced and bearded, and WX-78 for being overpowered.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-15, 12:26 PM
I pretty much only play Wilson, actually. I just want beard hair. Also, he's a gentleman scientist, and that's awesome.

Rosstin
2014-01-15, 12:45 PM
Wilson has the best "feel" in many ways. The game feels the most right when I play him.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-15, 01:33 PM
Yeah. It's a game about mad science, after all.

@shadow_archmagi - I mostly use honey for poultices, but you're right, it is an excellent cooking component as well. As for the crock pot, it is indeed one of the most vital parts of the game. Well, you have to experiment with recipes until you find something, but if you ask me, there's no shame in looking those up on the wiki. Unless you really like making wet goop over and over, that is.

Rosstin
2014-01-15, 01:49 PM
One bad thing I will say about Don't Starve is that the recipe menu is really badly organized.

I wish there were more things you could do when the game was paused, other than just read the map. I'd like to be able to browse and organize my inventory, for instance.

shadow_archmagi
2014-01-15, 03:49 PM
One bad thing I will say about Don't Starve is that the recipe menu is really badly organized.

I wish there were more things you could do when the game was paused, other than just read the map. I'd like to be able to browse and organize my inventory, for instance.

That's what night is for, silly. :smalltongue:

Because obviously no one ever uses torches/multiple campfires to get things done at night.

iyaerP
2014-01-15, 05:38 PM
I just play as the little girl with all resources set to high and run around picking berries and lighting infernos.

XiaoTie
2014-01-15, 07:52 PM
Although I've unlocked 2 of the other characters, I still play with Wilson due to the awesome hair and beard.

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-15, 09:46 PM

Have to agree with this, unfortunately. The ability to open the recipe menu from the keyboard is handy (was that a recent addition?), but it still takes too long to look at all the available recipes.

Who is everyone's favorite character?

It's tough for me to choose... I like Wendy for cuteness, Wickerbottom for her easy start, Wilson for being balanced and bearded, and WX-78 for being overpowered.

I like Wilson for looking awesome and being able to easily create Meat Effigies.

Okay, here's some advice.
Don't be afraid to turn the map (q and e keys) to get a better view on something. The f key makes you attack the nearest hostile target, which makes single-target kiting easier (against a tallbird for example) than using a mouse.

Digging up a tree stump with a shovel gives you a log. This is more resource-efficient than just cutting down trees and leaving the stumps.

Use a shovel to dig up lots of berry bushes and plant them at your home. Works for grass tufts and saplings too. Remember that a replanted bush or grass tuft (but not sapling) requires manure before it grows back. You get manure from beefalos, and by giving food to pigs.

Catch a butterfly with a net and plant it near your home for a flower that will spawn more butterflies. Repeat several times and you will get a big flower patch with lots of butterflies, which you can kill for food and healing. You don't even need to use a weapon - just get close to a butterfly empty-handed and press ctrl+f, you will punch it.

If you have gold and papyrus, make a bird cage and put a caught bird into it. A bird in a cage will lay an egg when fed most foods, even monster meat. This way you can survive comfortably off monster meat alone in winter (3 eggs + 1 monster meat is one of the many, many ways to get meatballs in the crock pot).

You get charcoal by setting fire to trees. You get ashes by setting fire to stuff on the ground. Drop a stack of 10 grass, set it on fire and wait a moment, and you have a stack of 10 ashes.

Give meat (including monster meat) and stuff you find in graves to the Pig King and he will give you gold.

Catching rabbits with traps without bait - put a trap on the ground between the rabbit and its hole, then approach the rabbit from the other direction and watch it run into the trap.

Traps work on spiders. When hunting spiders, never destroy all lairs - they're the only way for spiders to respawn, making them useful for farming silk and glands.

Wear a backpack, but carry armor with you. When enemies are close, simply put on the armor instead of the backpack. It will be visible on the map so you won't lose it.

Make a heat stone for winter. It's the best way to stay warm. If you're Wilson, a beard helps a lot too. Shave your beard after winter to get beard hair for meat effigies.

You can be relatively safe in a swamp, as long as you keep moving and stop only when you're ABSOLUTELY sure there are no tentacles in near vicinity.

Smash pig heads with a hammer for the precious pig skin. There are always 4 pig heads around a touch stone.

When you're about to be attacked by hounds, a good idea is to stay near pigs or a beehive. They will automatically attack the hounds, and will often tank hits for you too when the hounds aggro onto the other creatures.

Repairing your clothes with a sewing kit is almost always more efficient than making new ones, unless you have a lot of silk and very few teeth.
By the way, I love how this game pretty much encourages you to wear a top hat most of the time once you can make one (which is fairly simple, all you need is a science machine and some silk). Because top hats are awesome.

I'd like to add my own two cents to your survival advice:

BEES. No seriously, they're a fantastic part of the ecosystem. Honey is magical stuff, as I'll mention below.

How to get them: I suggest using a bug net. If you abduct one bee, the hive will deploy a handful of angry bees, but if you evade them for a few seconds they'll return home non-angry. Then you can just repeat the process until you are the proud owner of every bee in the hive, and can loot it at your leisure.

CROCKPOT. The Crockpot is a game all of its own, but here are a few basic rules of the pot:

1. Food that comes out of it will always be less spoiled than food that goes in.

2. You can substitute ONE monster meat for regular meat in the pot without any ill effects. If you were only planning on using one meat, then go ahead and turn that poisonous food into delicious food! Honey is great for this- make spider-nuggets!

Thanks for the advice! I knew some of it, but not all. Using the f key sounds very handy. I've established some decent-sized bases in the past and set up sustainable supplies, but I've never been able to use bees and birds.

This thread rekindled my interest, so I started a new sandbox game with Wilson. I've got have my initial base up and running. Biggest problem I have so far is the giant walking tree...forget its name. The big two things I'm missing are nearby pigs and beefalo for manure. Here's my list of things to get done by winter:
-Get 2-4 drying racks set up and start stockpiling jerky
-Find a koalefant, kill it, make a vest from its trunk
-Construct a meat effigy
-Find pigs, get a football helmet, get some pigs around to help out

Sound good?

Rosstin
2014-01-15, 10:50 PM
A sound plan!

In Sandbox mode, I stash the Treeguards somewhere where I won't bump into them, then have them fight Deerclops whenever he shows up.

When there's a Treeguard too close to my base, I make an open fire and kite it around the flame to burn it to as near death as I can, then whale on it while wearing log armor, a spear, and a football helmet if available to finish it off. You can kite them fighting, but it's tricky for me.

The "F" key is invaluable. Learn to love it. Makes it much easier to attack stuff.

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-15, 11:05 PM
Found the koalefant...and died to it. 13 in-game days of work down the drain. :smallfrown:

Tebryn
2014-01-15, 11:34 PM
Tagged, I love this game. My only complaint is that it takes too long to play. As in, if you want a really good session you have to play for 4+ hours. I feel the same about FTL, another wonderful Roguelike. Although with FTL, at least you don't have to be playing twitch all the time.

Has anyone beat story mode? I'm near the end with Wilson, on the 3rd or 4th stage I think.

My favorite part of the game so far was surviving Winter the first time.

Don't Starve isn't a Roguelike though. Just like Minecraft isn't. I'm not even meaning it in the "It doesn't fit the graphical style" argument. Don't Starve is a Survival Sandbox, with more emphasis on the Survival Aspect than the Sandbox one. Just because it's procedural generated and difficult does not make it a Roguelike. Paranatuical Activity, FTL as you mentioned, Spelunky? Those are Roguelikes.

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-15, 11:36 PM
Don't Starve isn't a Roguelike though. Just like Minecraft isn't. I'm not even meaning it in the "It doesn't fit the graphical style" argument. Don't Starve is a Survival Sandbox, with more emphasis on the Survival Aspect than the Sandbox one. Just because it's procedural generated and difficult does not make it a Roguelike. Paranatuical Activity, FTL as you mentioned, Spelunky? Those are Roguelikes.

The permadeath aspect of it is a very roguelike-y thing, though.

Tebryn
2014-01-15, 11:50 PM

Yeah, though you remember your crafting recipe (at least you did when I last played) which makes Perma-Death more a speed bump. You lose your world but not your progress. I really like Don't Starve mind you but it's as much a Roguelike as Hardcore Mode on Minecraft.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-16, 12:12 AM
To kill the treeguard, I just whack it 2-3 times with a spear, jump away when it tries to attack, and then repeat. It takes time because it has a buttload of health, but after some practice you won't even get hit once.

Similar tactics work on tallbirds - attack once, then IMMEDIATELY jump back. Rinse and repeat.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-16, 12:16 AM
This thread rekindled my interest, so I started a new sandbox game with Wilson. I've got have my initial base up and running. Biggest problem I have so far is the giant walking tree...forget its name. The big two things I'm missing are nearby pigs and beefalo for manure. Here's my list of things to get done by winter:
-Get 2-4 drying racks set up and start stockpiling jerky
-Find a koalefant, kill it, make a vest from its trunk
-Construct a meat effigy
-Find pigs, get a football helmet, get some pigs around to help out

Sound good?

I'd add "try to make a bird cage" to the mix. Since you're usually drowning in monster meat, it lets you comfortably survive winter without worrying about any sources of food! In fact, I usually don't bother with making meat jerky.

And remember: if you find a touch stone, there's your source of pig skin right there.

Rosstin
2014-01-16, 12:30 AM
Everything I like is a Roguelike. EVERYTHING. Therefore Don't Starve is a Roguelike.

Bird cages are definitely top tier. I haven't done much with bee hives yet, but bird cages are AMAZING.

You can make excellent crock pot recipes with only one ingredient: rabbit meat. (Or monster meat if that's what you have.) Otherwise I tend to find it tough to find enough veggies to make good recipes on some maps.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Bacon_and_Eggs

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-16, 01:07 AM
I'd add "try to make a bird cage" to the mix. Since you're usually drowning in monster meat, it lets you comfortably survive winter without worrying about any sources of food! In fact, I usually don't bother with making meat jerky.

And remember: if you find a touch stone, there's your source of pig skin right there.

That's probably a good idea as well. Looking at the wiki, the big stumbling blocks are getting reeds from a marsh (which I've never dared venture into) and getting silk (which I have some experience with). Good news is, on this save, I found a touch stone, so that's one free life plus some pig skin. I've also located some spiders nearby and found a beefalo herd.

factotum
2014-01-16, 02:53 AM

By that criterion the original X-Wing game from 1993 was a Roguelike, because it had permadeath too... :smallwink:

XiaoTie
2014-01-16, 10:11 AM
Took the advice you guys gave and caught me a few bees/butterflies. I was reading the wiki and saw this pic of a "honey farm" with one of the lightning rods thingamajig. Thing is, I already have one of those lightning rods inside my camp. Should I put another one inside the area of my "honey farm"?

Rosstin
2014-01-16, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't stress over the lightning rod. I mean, you may weep if you're hanging inside your honey farm during a storm and it burns down, but it's not a likely scenario. I usually just build one rod inside my main base.

Wookieetank
2014-01-16, 12:16 PM
That's what night is for, silly. :smalltongue:

Because obviously no one ever uses torches/multiple campfires to get things done at night.

Why do that when you can:

... play as the little girl with all resources set to high and run around picking berries and lighting infernos.

:smallwink:

Everything I like is a Roguelike. EVERYTHING. Therefore Don't Starve is a Roguelike.

*giggle* For whatever reason I heard this bit in Princess Vespa's voice (Nobody talks to me that way. NOBODY!). :smallbiggrin:

Back to actual discussion:

I find myself playing as Wilson the most myself. I either have better luck with him, or he's just better than anyone else I've unlocked so far. My biggest issue so far has been the dog/wolf/4 legged critter things that show up out of nowhere on day 5(?) or so and rush you. I've only managed to avoid death by them like twice now.

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-16, 12:18 PM
I find myself playing as Wilson the most myself. I either have better luck with him, or he's just better than anyone else I've unlocked so far. My biggest issue so far has been the dog/wolf/4 legged critter things that show up out of nowhere on day 5(?) or so and rush you. I've only managed to avoid death by them like twice now.

Those are the Hounds, they're a pain. They'll come repeatedly, every few days, scaling up over time. Best advice I have is to get a Spear and Log Suit, then try and kite them.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-16, 12:55 PM
Whenever the hounds are about to attack, you hear them for some time in advance and your character goes "What was that?", and that gives you time to prepare.

Hounds are easily distracted by food and other creatures - run around for a while and they should split up. Also, lure them towards bees or pigs. And finally, if you have semi-decent weaponry, you should be able to beat 2-4 hounds on your own without any help. The hounds' biggest advantage is intimidation - they appear suddenly, make loud noises, run around quickly and can be scary if you never met them before. But they're actually not much more dangerous than spiders.

That's probably a good idea as well. Looking at the wiki, the big stumbling blocks are getting reeds from a marsh (which I've never dared venture into) and getting silk (which I have some experience with). Good news is, on this save, I found a touch stone, so that's one free life plus some pig skin. I've also located some spiders nearby and found a beefalo herd.

The best advice I can give for a swamp is: keep moving and IMMEDIATELY run away from any tentacles you see sprouting from the ground. Find save spots and pick reeds from there.

The safest way to get silk is capture spiders into traps, but I rarely have the patience to do that, so I just fight them. Unless it's a level 2 or 3 lair, in which case traps are a great help against those annoying spider warriors.

IthilanorStPete
2014-01-16, 10:18 PM
The best advice I can give for a swamp is: keep moving and IMMEDIATELY run away from any tentacles you see sprouting from the ground. Find save spots and pick reeds from there.

The safest way to get silk is capture spiders into traps, but I rarely have the patience to do that, so I just fight them. Unless it's a level 2 or 3 lair, in which case traps are a great help against those annoying spider warriors.

I forgot you could use traps against spiders! Thanks for reminding me - I fought a couple of spiders without them, then saw this post and used traps to get a bunch more silk. I think I'm set up for winter...I've got plenty of jerky, Rabbit Earmuffs, a Breezy Vest, sustained supplies of my basic resources. Just need to stash some emergency supplies next to the touchstone so I don't die immediately if I have to rez.

iyaerP
2014-01-17, 04:00 PM
How do the touchstones work anyway? the only times I have tried to use them, it kills me.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-17, 09:14 PM
Just use the touchstone and it will act as a one-time respawn point if you die. How in the world do they kill you?

Rosstin
2014-01-17, 09:53 PM
The hounds are indeed a big danger. By the time you know they're coming (your character will say things like "I hear something coming") it's often too late to prepare.

Not dying to hounds: Always have more than half your HP. If you ever have less than that, stop fighting stuff and start trying to regain HP, by doing safe maintenance stuff around your base, eating crockpot food, and generally avoiding combat. By the time something attacks you, it's too late to regain HP.

Always have a high-durability piece of body armor and a weapon in your main inventory. Not in a bag or with Chester... in your main inventory. If you've managed to craft a football helmet, have one of those too. When you're aware that a hound attack is coming, go back to your stone campfire, get it well-lit so it won't go out, equip all your protective gear and a weapon, and just fight them with the F key.

There are other ways to deal with hounds, but just being prepared at good HP with a weapon and armor will get you through hound attacks until around day 80 or so, I think.

The real danger of hounds is when they attack you at the worst possible time. Like when you're fighting another monster, far away from your base, etcetera. There are ways to kite them, although it isn't easy. One of my best sandbox games, I died to hounds while fighting a deerclops away from my base somewhere. I respawned at a touchstone in Winter without any Winter gear and it was impossible to get back to a warm place before it was curtains for me. (Leave some gear by a touchstone for this reason!)

Beige Dragon
2014-01-18, 12:27 PM
The true best defense against hounds isn't traps, or gear, or spears, or pigs. Its spiders. Murderize a spider queen, wear her head, and go to a few level 1 and 2 spiders nest, amassing a horde. Then, park them in a cage made of grown tree's, so they cant escape. Once the hounds are coming, chop open the cage, put on the spider hat, and lead your spiders TO VICTORY! Or, you can just go into a sink hole and camp down there if you're scared.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-18, 12:42 PM
If you can kill the spider queen reliably enough to use her head every several days, I don't think hound attacks are much of an issue for you anyway.

The hounds are indeed a big danger. By the time you know they're coming (your character will say things like "I hear something coming") it's often too late to prepare.

Depends. The first time the hounds come, you have almost a full day to prepare. But every attack after that comes with increasingly shorter warning times.

XiaoTie
2014-01-20, 09:50 AM
Winter finally came!

I have a stock of logs, seends, some food in the ice box, a bird to get eggs from, small honey farm, about 40 gold, walled camp with a couple entrances and some material to craft more hats if needed! ...and that is it D:

I think I've hit a wall, not sure if I should do things differently during the winter or keep things as usual. I'll probably get to exploring anyway. Any of you guys gone through similar conundrums when playing for the first time?

Tengu_temp
2014-01-20, 12:03 PM
Winter is a bad time for exploring, because you need to build fireplaces more often, and sources of food are harder to find. If you want to do that, make sure you have lots of food, wood, and a heating stone.

On the other hand, there are some creatures that can be found only in winter, so this might be a good opportunity to meet them. Have fun!