PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Archivist Summoner build.... Hit Meh

Donny_Green
2014-01-13, 09:35 PM
So maybe my last post was too specific. Something that might work better is to free forum this. So

level 5, primary class Archivist, primarily summon specialized with buff/debuff as secondary.

Must be evil. Must level adjust all +X races though bye offs are aloud. Must be RAW approved.

Starting gold is 5500, and I can buy what ever my heart desires.

The GM can be accommodating, but not overly so. He's going to make me work for the extra scrolls.

Please anyone with any experience, tell me how you might build this character. I'd really like to see everyone's ideas on the subject.

Kaje
2014-01-13, 09:43 PM
Binder 1 / Archivist 3 / Divine Anima Mage 10 / Tainted Sorcerer 1 / Tenebrous Apostate 5

You get 19/20 Archivist casting, so plenty of debuffing and summoning goodness. Eventually you can bind Zceryll, which is crazy good summoning.

Donny_Green
2014-01-14, 11:16 AM
Silly barbarians trying to understand the nature of magic. :smallwink: just kidding.

But I did see several huge problems with the above build.

first of all, you need 2nd level aspects to bind as a requisite for anime mage, that means binder level 3... second, Anime mage progresses arcane casting only, not divine (I hope I don't need to explain why that's a bad thing)

So this build effectively and literally doesn't work.

Kaje
2014-01-14, 11:18 AM
1. There's a feat for that.

2. Check the Adaptation section.

It works.

Donny_Green
2014-01-14, 11:20 AM
here's another added challenge for anyone who feels like playing.

The character starts at level 5, so try to make any build roughly consistently strong through out levels 5 - 20.

I'm trying to pool information on a solid build that's fun to play.. and have never cared for the level 20 power builds that leave you week as a newborn babe in the early to mid levels.

Kaje
2014-01-14, 11:37 AM
You're a T1 caster with potential access to every spell in the game. You're going to be just fine in the power category.

Zombulian
2014-01-14, 12:01 PM
You're a T1 caster with potential access to every spell in the game. You're going to be just fine in the power category.

He speaks truth.

sideswipe
2014-01-14, 01:10 PM
be human -

feats -
1 - augment summoning
human - spell focus conjuration
3 - Imbued Summoning (allows you to give the summon a 3rd level or lower touch spell buff at the same time as summoning) so you summon a creature with augment summoning and a buff spell all as a single cast.

you could also take the summon undead route,

1 - corpse crafter
human - nimble bones
3 - any other buff summoning feat with corpse crafter as the prerequisite from libris mortis.

summon undead spells are divine in the spell compendium and are cleric spells.
the good thing about the summon monster route is you could also take summon natures ally and any other divine summon spell you want.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-14, 01:42 PM
Get Greenbound Summoning and Ashbound and use Summon Nature's Ally spells. Start taking Thaumaturgist as early as possible, though with an evil alignment you won't be able to get the overpowered Ghaele planar cohort.

Plan to pick up Leadership at 12 or 15 for a single-classed Warlock cohort. He can use his 12th level ability to help you create any scroll you want, so there will no longer be any limit on what spells you can learn.

sideswipe
2014-01-14, 01:54 PM
Get Greenbound Summoning and Ashbound and use Summon Nature's Ally spells. Start taking Thaumaturgist as early as possible, though with an evil alignment you won't be able to get the overpowered Ghaele planar cohort.

he cannot get ashbound without being able to cast summon natures ally spontaneously. that is the prerequisite. but greenbound works fine. he could take as 6th level feat after augment and imbued summoning.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-14, 01:56 PM
he cannot get ashbound without being able to cast summon natures ally spontaneously. that is the prerequisite. but greenbound works fine. he could take as 6th level feat after augment and imbued summoning.

Right, just pick up Spontaneous Summoner in CD then. That qualifies him for Ashbound, so he can still take it at 1st if he can use flaws.

sideswipe
2014-01-14, 02:12 PM
Right, just pick up Spontaneous Summoner in CD then. That qualifies him for Ashbound, so he can still take it at 1st if he can use flaws.

perfectly fine.

so ...

1 - spontaneous summoner
human - ashbound
flaw - greenbound
flaw - spell focus conjuration
3 - anything
6 - leadership (the cohort levels anyway)
9 - imbue summoning (you get augment from thaumaturgist)

you need to have lesser planer ally in your spellbook before level 7 (you can know the spell just not cast it before then without cheese). and at level 7 take the thaumaturgist PRC.

so. archivist 6/ thaumaturgist 4/ archivist X

EDIT - no thaumaturgist 5 as this gives you planer cohort and would replace the warlock as your cohort so you cant make the scrolls.

ninjamaster1991
2014-01-14, 02:18 PM
Binder 1 / Archivist 3 / Divine Anima Mage 10 / Tainted Sorcerer 1 / Tenebrous Apostate 5

You get 19/20 Archivist casting, so plenty of debuffing and summoning goodness. Eventually you can bind Zceryll, which is crazy good summoning.

Is there any reason why you said Tainted Sorcerer rather than Tainted Scholar? The SS subtype ritual could give him nigh-infinite power, and LA buyoff is allowed, so the meager +1 is nothing.

Kaje
2014-01-14, 03:41 PM
Tainted Scholar is arcane only.

Chronos
2014-01-14, 04:20 PM
I was going to suggest picking up Spontaneous Summoning, anyway. That way, you can use most of your spell slots to prepare all those situationally-useful spells, and then still put the slots to good use if those situations don't come up. There's always some summon or another that's useful in any given situation.