PDA

View Full Version : The weather man

Sapreaver
2014-01-14, 01:03 AM
I was reading on the survival skill and found that if you make a dc 15 survival check you can predict the weather for the next 24 hours and for every 5 points you exceed the dc by you can predict another day.
With very very little effort you can get a score of 45 which would be a nice 7 day forecast, possibly earning pc's some money. But is it possible to get a score of 160 for a month long forecast? Or even higher?!

Survival is a wisdom skill

+117 is my best with no cheese
taking 10 on this check would:
give him the ability to move overland at full speed and feed 43 people and give them auto saves against severe weather.
he could find any place that someone described to him on any plane
Oh and he knows what the weather is going to be for the next 27 days.

With only a little cheese can you gianitp make a weather man that can predict 3 months 465? 6months 925? a year 1820?

Control weather doesn't count lol

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-14, 01:41 AM
The problem is that invariably a group of adventurers will blow throw town and their Druid will control winds a hurricane into existence and jack up all your predictions.

eggynack
2014-01-14, 01:48 AM
The problem is that invariably a group of adventurers will blow throw town and their Druid will control winds a hurricane into existence and jack up all your predictions.
Nah, the guy doing the predictions is the druid. Weather predictions help quite a bit with spell preparation when so many spells are reliant on initial weather conditions. You don't really need more than one day in advance for weather based casting to be about as good as it's going to get, but a druid base is still likely necessary, because druids get a bunch of survival boosters. I don't have a perfect list in front of me, but I remember seeing a whole bunch while looking through stuff.

Edit: Weather eye (SpC, 238) also makes survival based predictions a bit pointless after awhile, but I think you need survival if you want more than a week.

Vaz
2014-01-14, 06:44 AM
Improvisation gives +10
Divine Insight +15
Guidance of the Avatar +20
Max Skill Ranks +23
Anthro Bat +3 from Wis
18 Wis +4
Item, Tome and Leveling; +8 from Wis

88 there.

Owls Insight gives +1 Wis every 2 Caster Levels, so +1 to Survival every 4CL. Circle Magic, and bam, you are sorted.