PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Strange humans

Triskavanski
2014-01-14, 01:39 AM
My gm and I are at odds. Nah its not the one from before. We're still playing and things are going pretty cool there. But my new GM, has rather forceful dictations of what my human character's appearance can be and how feats would interact with it.

More specifically, I'm a human fighter who took kobold racial heritage to get the Draconic aspect. He claims that humans don't have scales to allow the feat to do anything. My argument is that racial heritage would allow me to set up my characters appearance, since I'm taking it at level 1.

So he wants me to find humans that are not normal, and set within a pre-defined example of the 'normal' race. some monster or Npc, a picture of them from the rule book would even do.

MonochromeTiger
2014-01-14, 02:06 AM
My gm and I are at odds. Nah its not the one from before. We're still playing and things are going pretty cool there. But my new GM, has rather forceful dictations of what my human character's appearance can be and how feats would interact with it.

More specifically, I'm a human fighter who took kobold racial heritage to get the Draconic aspect. He claims that humans don't have scales to allow the feat to do anything. My argument is that racial heritage would allow me to set up my characters appearance, since I'm taking it at level 1.

So he wants me to find humans that are not normal, and set within a pre-defined example of the 'normal' race. some monster or Npc, a picture of them from the rule book would even do.

well I don't know about any "normal" humans in pathfinder that aren't very much stereotypical looking humans..but according to the wording for the racial heritage feat you count as both human AND the race you added for the sake of feats, class archetypes, traits and so forth...meaning you aren't JUST human.

if anything the human label counts for you mostly by saying that most of your ancestry is human, at some point there was a mix between human and (in your character's case) kobold that would result in a halfbreed of the two (like half-orc, half-elf, half-ogre, and others)...that's never out of your system and while the non human ancestry may be highly diluted by breeding with normal humans over time it's still there and could potentially show itself in certain generations or individuals like a sorcerer's bloodline class feature.

long story short: your character isn't fully human, that means their appearance might not conform to that of an average human but you're not likely to find an example of a human like that since in most cases the ones presented by pathfinder are either normal humans with very minor influence or considered a different race.

even longer story that I didn't bring up short: if your DM doesn't want you to be outside of normal human with a human character to get draconic aspect you're probably not getting draconic aspect even if you skin the dragon and use alchemy to graft its scales onto you so you have scales.

GreenZ
2014-01-14, 02:12 AM
This is one of those problems that comes up every once in a while that has no direct answer but a real answer that is really simple in concept, though difficult in application.

You are correct. You should have a character than utilizes the rules to cool effect so long as nothing in the rules states that you cannot.

Your GM is correct. He is working to create a game that multiple people, including himself, can enjoy at once and he does not agree with your idea due to rational reasons.

The answer is jolly cooperation; you have to work with your GM as well as he with you in order to make the game enjoyable for everyone, that is the goal. There is no winning, nor losing, this kind of argument. You can just as easily avoid creating a character with these feats while this person acts as GM without being any more or less correct than you currently are.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-14, 02:20 AM
Honestly I feel terrible for your human and kobold ancestors that had to copulste to produce offspring.

MonochromeTiger
2014-01-14, 02:25 AM
Honestly I feel terrible for your human and kobold ancestors that had to copulste to produce offspring.

"I hear dragons take these weird scale-less things' form and have offspring all the time, I could be a dragon if I wanted...so I guess it's ok!" and the universe as a whole looks away and covers its eyes so it doesn't have to watch.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-14, 02:28 AM
Iron Heart Surge: thinking about that unspeakable image!

Whew that was close.

Serafina
2014-01-14, 04:13 AM
I've always figured that you could model Racial Heritage in ways other than "you had race-X ancestors".
Adoption, growing up in a community dominated by that race, voluntarily trying to achieve an ideal based on that race, strange magic links, being a reincarnation - there are lots of ways you can do the Racial Heritage feat.