PDA

View Full Version : Power Points

Shatenjager
2007-01-22, 11:19 AM
I'm playing in a new game with homebrew classes, and the one I'm playing is psyonic. The problem is I've never played one before. I'm looking to get as many power points as possible. I'll be playing a Goblin at level 2. I know this isn't much to work with but what feat/s will net me the most.

My current ideas are Body Fuel/Mind over Body (if stats allow) or just taking the feat that gives me an extra 2.

Is there anything better?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-22, 11:21 AM
There are lots of better feats, although without knowing what your class and party role are, I can't recommend anything.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-22, 11:27 AM
The most realiable way to get more power points is to pump your manifesting stat into the obscene levels.

And it's spelled with an "i".

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-22, 11:28 AM
Yes, we need more specificity...

and the one I'm playing is psyonic
...and a moment to still the gag reflex.

squishycube
2007-01-22, 11:49 AM
People, people. We are a friendly community here. Lets try to be nice! (Says the guy with an infraction, but hey...)
There is a prestige class that focusses on getting as many PP as possible:
The Metamind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/metamind.htm)
I have no clue whether it is any good.
Meta Concert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaconcert.htm) is a nice power for you.
Overchannel is nice, I think body fuel is too expensive. Remember it is ability damage, it only heals naturally at a rate of 1 per day per score.
Obviously, there are the PP containers (like your psi-crystal!)
Power Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#powerStoring) can hold PP which discharge on a hit.
The psychoactive skin skin of the Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofthePsion) holds PP (and gives good power resistance!)
To limit other's use of PP, there are the Psionic Restraints (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psionicRestraints)

Also, try to get dorjes/wands/other items of powers you use often. Lots of PP is nice, but saving PP might be better still.

Tellah
2007-01-22, 12:09 PM
For a number of reasons, the best first-level feat for a Psion is Psicrystal Affinity, followed up at third level with <Insert feat that lets the Psicrystal hold a focus for you>.

Now, if you want a race with more PP, I believe Kalashtar offer the most PP over the course of your career - contingent on your DM allowing them into the campaign.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-22, 12:17 PM
For a number of reasons, the best first-level feat for a Psion is Psicrystal Affinity, followed up at third level with <Insert feat that lets the Psicrystal hold a focus for you>.

Now, if you want a race with more PP, I believe Kalashtar offer the most PP over the course of your career - contingent on your DM allowing them into the campaign.

Psicrystal Containment, I think?

Shazzbaa
2007-01-22, 01:57 PM
Psicrystal Containment, I think?

Yup, that's it. (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicFeats.html#psicrystal-containment)

As for the Metamind prestige class... it lets you use some up to 5th-level powers for free so many times per day and gives you endless power points once per day... which sounds insanely cool until you realise that you're giving up five manifesting levels. Ew.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-22, 03:30 PM
Yup, that's it. (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicFeats.html#psicrystal-containment)

As for the Metamind prestige class... it lets you use some up to 5th-level powers for free so many times per day and gives you endless power points once per day... which sounds insanely cool until you realise that you're giving up five manifesting levels. Ew.

When you really look at the class, you're sacrificing five manifester levels in exchange for what effectively works out to be around 45 PP (if I recall correctly) and the Font of Power ability. Font of Power isn't very good since you can only augment powers up to 15 PP unless you take Practiced Manifester (in which case you've still given up all the powers you get from your last five class levels: That means you cannot manifest any of your highest-level powers). Also, you get way more PP if you just continue along with your base class. Seriously, am I misinterpreting this PrC, or does it really do absolutely nothing but hurt you?

Shatenjager
2007-01-23, 11:32 AM
Ok, so I don't want to reveal too much as my DM wants to publish these classes, but basically I advance in power like a psion with some very different stuff. I can totally be a fifth slot role in the party and am going a combination summoner/combat controller. I agree that Kalishtar is awesome for this class, but I want to play a goblin for thematic reasons.

Sorry I can't give much more information. Oh, Also I'm not allowed to take other prestige classes than the ones he's spec'ed out (and they aren't a help). I actually decided last night when I realized how far 9 powerpoints can be stretched that I should just go with extend power for my summons.

If you've got better I'm listening.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-23, 11:48 AM
The best advice has already been given and that is to pump your manifesting stat as high as it will go. I have a 22nd level psion right now with 450is PPs and I wasn't even trying I put all my money and ability boosts into intelligence and am currently at 36.

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 02:17 PM
When you really look at the class, you're sacrificing five manifester levels in exchange for what effectively works out to be around 45 PP (if I recall correctly) and the Font of Power ability. Font of Power isn't very good since you can only augment powers up to 15 PP unless you take Practiced Manifester (in which case you've still given up all the powers you get from your last five class levels: That means you cannot manifest any of your highest-level powers). Also, you get way more PP if you just continue along with your base class. Seriously, am I misinterpreting this PrC, or does it really do absolutely nothing but hurt you?
Its decent in epic after you have all 20 levels of your base class and get no more powerpoints besides the epic feat that gives you what 19 and any bonus power points due to high stat. (Its the psionic version of improved capacity.)

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-23, 02:19 PM
Nah. In epic, you're sacrificing your epic bonus feat progression, and epic feats basically kick the crap out of everything else.

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 02:24 PM
Nah. In epic, you're sacrificing your epic bonus feat progression, and epic feats basically kick the crap out of everything else.
This is why I said it was "decent" :smallwink:

Person_Man
2007-01-23, 02:40 PM
Strait Elan Psion with high Int is pretty darn powerful for a variety of reasons, and tends to have plenty of power points. If you need more Power Points, just buy items that boost your Int, and avoid prestige classes that lack full progression.

There are plenty of feats better then Body Fuel and Mind Over Body. Which one(s) are optimal often depends on your Discipline and playing style.

So, what is it you want to do?

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 02:48 PM
Let me rephrase that, it isn't decent in epic, its decent if you already start in epic (if you have to progress the long way to it, it isn't decent.)

For example lets say you start at lvl 25 and we are comparing these two builds.

Psion 20/Epic Psion 5
Psion 15/Metamind 10

Well the Epic Psion will cast as a 25th lvl psion, has full psionic powers, and has gained 1 epic bonus feat due to class levels. He will gain his next epic bonus feat due to progression at lvl 26. Already gain two epic feats at lvl 21, and 24 due to levels. At level 26 he will continue psionic progression.

The metamind will cast as a 24th lvl psion (practiced manifester), has all his class psionic powers, some small power point boost and font of power. He has not gain any epic bonus feats yet due to class level, but he has two due to levels. At level 26 he will start the Epic Metamind progression that is located for free here.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ei/ei20030110a (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ei/ei20030110a)

He gains no new psionic powers, but his manifester level increases by 1 for every Epic Metamind level. (Since he gains no new powers you want to wait till lvl 15 to take the plain non epic metamind this way you keep all your psionic powers since the non epic metamind progresses powers 5 out of 10 levels). He also gains a bonus feat every 3 levels like the epic psion, plus he gains an additional trigger power every 2 levels.

So in conclusion the metamind when taken at epic levels and when planned ahead can be “decent.”

NullAshton
2007-01-23, 03:37 PM
At level 20 if you're human, taking psionic talent every single feat... you get 44 power points. Which is enough for a couple of high level powers which is kind of nice. This is because you get one more power point than the last time you took it.

jjpickar
2007-01-23, 05:26 PM
Psionic Talent works. You can take it multiple times and every time you take it the amount of powerpoints you get increases by one. 2,3,4,5,6 etc.

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 06:01 PM
Psionic Talent works. You can take it multiple times and every time you take it the amount of powerpoints you get increases by one. 2,3,4,5,6 etc.
Thing is it takes a valuable feat slot, and you need to take alot of them or the value of them disapear. Anyay the most power points you can get from it is 119 if psion, 7 Level feats+2 Flaws+4 Psion Bonus Feats or 170 with Psychic Warrior 7 Level Feats+2 Flaws+8 Psychic Warrior Feats. Thats alot of power points about 33% more for a psion, yet remember he can't quicken powers or anything like that.

If I were to remake it, it would be 2pps+1*Past Psionic Talent Feats+.5*All Psionic, Psionic Item Creation, or Metapsionic fets you take excluding psionic talent. This way there is at you gain some power points for taking something like quicken power.

Scipio
2007-01-24, 11:18 AM
Like other people have stated, Mind Over Body and Psionic Talent are not that great. The feat slots can be spent on better things like the metapsionic feats. Just keep your manifester ability as high as possible, and you will have a lot of power points.

Psicrystal Containment is good if you are going to be expending your focus a lot. If you are loading up on metapsionic powers, then you will be doing this. You will also want Psionic Meditation, which allows you to refocus as a move action. It will not speed up refocusing the psicrystal, but it will help you.

To be honest it sounds like you and your DM might not know a lot about psionics to begin with (nothing wrong with that), so I would discourage a lot of homebrew tinkering until you see how the system works. It is quite a bit different from the core magic system.

You said that you want to be a summoner. Are you talking about using Astral Construct (Shaper Discipline)? It is the psionic equivalent of a summoner. It is a very cool build, and there is an Ectopic Adept prestige class that is good.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-01-24, 11:26 AM
I boil it down to this: wicked high INT/WIS/CHA, depending on you Psi class. I have a Spellwarped Elan Psion/Diamond Dragon (from Dragon Magic) with Vow of Poverty, at level 21, and she has over 550 power points. she is basically all INT, some CON, poor CHA.

Grizzled Gryphon
2007-01-24, 11:47 AM
Hmm, how about something like the Psionic Body feat? Call it Psionic Mind.

Psionic Mind [PSIONIC]

Benefit: For every Psionic feat you have, including this one, you gain one power point. This power point is added to your base power point reserve. Every time you take another psionic feat, you gain an additional power point.

Kind of weak, though.

Ramza00
2007-01-24, 02:19 PM
The only way I can see Psionic Talent being worthwile is if it was also an exalted psionic feat instead of just a psionic feat. Psions if built correctly can remedy most of VoP losses just like druids can. But in the end, even a non vop psion will be better than a vop psion, with the house rule psionic talent is also an exalted feat.

Marius
2007-01-24, 04:38 PM
If you are going to be a "summoner" using the "astral construct" power you should really get Boost Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#boostConstruct) and Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel)

Starbuck_II
2007-01-24, 09:51 PM
I'm playing in a new game with homebrew classes, and the one I'm playing is psyonic. The problem is I've never played one before. I'm looking to get as many power points as possible. I'll be playing a Goblin at level 2. I know this isn't much to work with but what feat/s will net me the most.

My current ideas are Body Fuel/Mind over Body (if stats allow) or just taking the feat that gives me an extra 2.

Is there anything better?
Psionic Talent is best for pp gain. 2 + # taken. first 2, second (2+1) 3=5pp. If taken as both feats.

Not a huge amount. Psionic talent is awesome for Psi-warrs.

But it helps you okay. Take Psionic Body later so get some hps for these psionic feats.