PDA

View Full Version : poor grimlocks, what to do with them?

CyberThread
2014-01-14, 10:43 AM
The grimlocks are an oddity, they get abilities you can't find elsewhere cheaply as a racial like blindsight, yet are clearly not meant for anything relying on wis or cha.

Does anyone have any ideas on what they may be uniquely useful for?

Telonius
2014-01-14, 10:54 AM
- Tracking things at night
- Taking care of the BBEG's pet Medusa
- Security at the bath-house

bekeleven
2014-01-14, 01:59 PM
Grimlocks are the best counter to shadowcraft mages. Hard to get around racial immunity to illusions.

The real challenge is convincing your DM that, because you can't see, you don't trigger your enemy's shadow evoked contingency.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-14, 02:13 PM
- Tracking things at night
- Taking care of the BBEG's pet Medusa
- Security at the bath-house

I wanna be security at the bath-house...

Barstro
2014-01-14, 02:29 PM
I wanna be security at the bath-house...

Sadly, wanting to be security at a bath-house is a good sign that you are too immature to be security at the bath-house.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-14, 02:40 PM
Maybe I'm just really passionate about hygiene and safety.

Coidzor
2014-01-14, 02:42 PM
Well, they're pretty much made for ambushes in the Underdark, or at least underground or in other areas secluded from Natural Light.

Throw in something to kill the party's light sources and mess with any darkvision they have.

CyberThread
2014-01-14, 03:08 PM
What could you do to protect them from noxious fumes spells and deafness?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-14, 03:59 PM
Give them enough Cleric levels to cast Deeper Darkness, the first few will even be nonassociated and only add +1/2 CR, and don't forget Practiced Spellcaster. Have them prepare Deeper Darkness 1/day, and cast it every day at a different spot in the room. They'll have a number of Deeper Darkness effects equal to their caster level continuously active. Note that every Daylight effect will cancel out only one Deeper Darkness effect, so they'll need at least that many Daylight effects or a higher level light effect to illuminate the room.

12owlbears
2014-01-14, 04:29 PM
Sadly, wanting to be security at a bath-house is a good sign that you are too immature to be security at the bath-house.

I don't know when you think about if your were a town guard and were given the choice between guarding the castle, the wizards gild, or the bath house which is the least likely to be attacked. The worst you'll have to deal with at the bath house is creeps and the occasional thief going after the patrons unattended belongings.