PDA

View Full Version : help on level adjustments

jlousivy
2007-01-22, 01:07 PM
I am still a little unclear on level adjustments,
take minotaur for example
it says it has a level adjustment of +2 and 6 racial HD
so.... if i was allowed to make a lvl 10 character
would he be lvl 8 barbarian(so -2 because of level adjustment)
lvl 4 barbarian(-6 due to HD)
or lvl 2 barbarian(-2 from lvl adjustment and -6 from HD)

Also, is being a minotaur barbarian worth it?
or would it be better to be a half-orc barbarian?
from a min-maxing standpoint not RP

NullAshton
2007-01-22, 01:09 PM
He would be a level 2 barbarian. 2 levels of barbarian, 6 racial hitdice, and a LA of 2. He would have 8 hitdice, but his effective character level would be 10 and thus would be suited to be in a level 10 party.

silentknight
2007-01-22, 01:29 PM
For both RP and min-max, the ability to use large-size weapons, impressive racial bonus to Str and Con, plus natural weapon attack (Gore!) makes good sense over the half-orc.

Amiria
2007-01-22, 01:48 PM
Yes, monstrous humanoid hit dice are among the better racial hit dice. Full BAB and two good saves - the ones that are weak saves for a barabarian.

See if you can afford the Extra Rage feat in your build.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-22, 02:04 PM
Remember, you get feats and skills for those Racial HD as if you leveled in a class. Of course, you get 2+Int on a very, very small skill list, but you do pick up feats.

Also, if you qualify for it, get yourself Awesome Blow. It's not optimal, but it certainly is fun.

jlousivy
2007-01-22, 03:45 PM
hmmmm definitely want to play this now. especially with say.... a few potions of enlarge person.

gore! ... is there any reason what so ever to use this?

i guess that brings up another question i never understood...
natural attacks
say you have a bab of 6, so 2 attacks and a greataxe
and you have a single natural attack (gore)
do you make 2 attacks and gore?
or 2 attacks or gore?
or 2 attacks and 1, both, or neither of them gore?

edit: also.... if a large great axe deals 3d6... what would a giant great axe do? (i think giant is after large...)

Fax Celestis
2007-01-22, 03:48 PM
2 attacks, plus your gore, but your secondary natural attack is at -5.

Divides
2007-01-22, 03:52 PM
edit: also.... if a large great axe deals 3d6... what would a giant great axe do? (i think giant is after large...)

"Huge," actually (the next size up AFTER that is "gargantuan," which is the closest I can think of to what you said :-p), and it will deal 4d6, I believe.

Amiria
2007-01-22, 04:02 PM
hmmmm definitely want to play this now. especially with say.... a few potions of enlarge person.

He is not a person ... uh, not a humanoid person, so Enlarge Person doesn't work on him.

You could take levels in Psychic Warrior and get the Expansion power. That's not a full BAB class, but a dip for up to 4 levels might be good. 4th level gives you a 2nd level power => Psionic Lion's Charge !

You can also easily qualify for the War Mind PrC then. All of this you can find in the Psionic Rules part of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm).

Combine with Power Attack + Improved Bull Rush + Shock Trooper.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-22, 04:09 PM
He is not a person ... uh, not a humanoid person, so Enlarge Person doesn't work on him.

You can still use the Oversize Weapon feat from The Complete Warrior, however.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-22, 04:14 PM
Darn, so no Enlarge Person and Permanency on him.

oriong
2007-01-22, 09:07 PM
The oversize weapon feat is epic, you'd need to start out with monkey grip.