PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Of Gnomes and Knowledge

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 06:29 PM
Are there any Gnomish deities apart from Rill Cleverthrush that have Knowledge among their available domains?

I've checked Races of Stone, Faiths and Pantheons, and also the Living Greyhawk Deities list.

For this purpose, it must be deity specific, and not gained from Cloistered Cleric or other means.

FR and other setting specific deities are acceptable.

Cheers - T

Keld Denar
2014-01-14, 09:02 PM
Regardless of finding, any Gnome who invests heavily in knowledge should look into the Trivial Knowledge feat. 2d20 rolls, keep the highest!

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 09:06 PM
Regardless of finding, any Gnome who invests heavily in knowledge should look into the Trivial Knowledge feat. 2d20 rolls, keep the highest!
Indeed.

Big part of the reason I am looking actually, so I can combine Trivial Knowledge and Knowledge Devotion. Maybe even the Collector of Stories skill trick thrown in.

Keld Denar
2014-01-14, 10:23 PM
Why Cleric and not Archivist? Archivist lets you wield those knowledge skills as a weapon. Cleric is good to, but Archivist fits the knowledge collector idea better.

nedz
2014-01-14, 10:23 PM
Are there any Gnomish deities apart from Rill Cleverthrush that have Knowledge among their available domains?

I've checked Races of Stone, Faiths and Pantheons, and also the Living Greyhawk Deities list.

For this purpose, it must be deity specific, and not gained from Cloistered Cleric or other means.

FR and other setting specific deities are acceptable.

Cheers - T

I did an extensive search and I couldn't find any. Does it have to be a Gnomish god ?

If you do the maths this adds 2.5 on average, albeit to multiple skills.

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 10:49 PM
I may be misreading the section on Domain Feats - I thought you had to worship a deity that granted that Domain in order to take the associated Feat, regardless of class?

nedz
2014-01-14, 11:33 PM
Knowledge Devotion is just a feat. If you have the Knowledge domain then you can swap that domain for Knowledge Devotion.

Additionally there are some further domains which qualify for the Knowledge Devotion swap. Inquisition and Mind from this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.msg241430#msg241430) list — though this list only covers the extra domains in CDiv so there are probably more which would be suitable.

Ed: Fixed link.

Thurbane
2014-01-21, 06:01 AM
Actually, I may (in the back of my mind) have been thinking of the Book of All Knowledge (CC p.142) that allows faster use if you worship a deity that offers the Knowledge domain.

Jeff the Green
2014-01-21, 09:39 AM
If you do the maths this adds 2.5 on average, albeit to multiple skills.

Its a bit more complicated than that. Because it creates a skewed distribution (see here (http://anydice.com/program/2345)) the mean shifts up 2.5, but the median shifts up 5. Basically, it increases the probability of getting a high result more than the mean would suggest.