PDA

View Full Version : PF Strix Archer Help

JohnStone
2014-01-14, 08:03 PM
Surprisingly there isn't alot of information out there about Strix(which allows for some nice background stories, but little help with optimization.) I would eventually like to change that (make a guide to strix). but for now we are going to concentrate on a lvl 10 Archer build.

My first thoughts are Ranger, however...

Looking at a 3rd party rogue archetype Vicious Oppurtunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/rite-publishing---rogue-archetypes/vicious-opportunist) isee something similar to SA from any range.

I have also heard mention of a Zen Archer in PF, (well monk intrigues me with things like deflect arrows and grapple ,carry someone 50 ft up)

I am hoping to start some conversation about which could be a good stealth archer with extreme mobility (fly 60)

NightbringerGGZ
2014-01-14, 09:05 PM
Keep in mind that you're going to want some feats to aid with attacking while flying in addition to all the ranged feats you need for any standard archer builds. Classes that provide bonus feats are going to be preferable to classes that don't.

Personally, I like the idea of going with a Strix Ranger and choosing to bond with the party at level 4. With a decent Wisdom and the alternate favored class bonus, you can spend your first round of combat buffing up your allies and then attack from the air afterwards. With your bonus style feats you can afford to pick up Hover at an earlier level.

Another good option is the Fighter Archer, which grants you the ability to make some ranged Combat Manuevers and plenty of bonus feats as well.

avr
2014-01-14, 10:05 PM
As a 10th level dex focused character, the Hover feat is unnecessary. Just max the fly skill and make that DC 15 check.

As a ranger either you get a wand so you can use Instant Enemy more than 1/day or you take the Guide archetype.

Personally I'd see the ranger as always superior to fighter (archer archetype) by this level; ranged disarm, sunder, bull rush & feint are too situational to focus on, ranged grapple is too easy to break by the time you get it, ranged trip may be not often useful due to flying enemies by L11 when you first get it. With instant enemy or similar rangers should be able to match the archer fighter for damage.

Ninja and zen archer monk are harder to rate.

JohnStone
2014-01-14, 11:02 PM
Well my DM denied the viscious opportunist...

but has said that Ranger works very well. for RP reasons lets go RANGER feats tactics? we could mix in rogue (Hunter was already accepted) but im guessing we wont need trapping. so some Sniper?)

Spore
2014-01-14, 11:11 PM
Here (http://www.optibuilds.com/pathfinder-optimized-archer-build-guide/) are some good archery builds close to your level. Also while ranger is certainly a step towards the better I do dislike the Favored Enemy as they limit both the player and the DM. Also they destroy your combat ability vs. non favored enemies.

I like Guide 6 into Horizon Walker 4. I dislike giving up the Animal Companion but that's the way of things.

JohnStone
2014-01-25, 06:32 PM
I am going to go ahead and ressurect this thread since its getting to be crunch time for my character choices. I am looking to make an Evil Strix utilizing the flight and archery to kill humans (and others i suppose).

One thing the ACG has been approved so now i wonder about the Slayer Class (although i cant find much information.)