PDA

View Full Version : Does This Cheese Work?

Ionbound
2014-01-14, 08:05 PM
So, I think I've noticed something hilarious about the way Cleric bonus spells and the Thaumaturgist PrC interact. Basically, the ability to cast Lesser Planar Ally is required to enter the PrC. However, since Clerics can prepare any spell from their list so long as they have the spell-slots for it, and having 18 Wis gives you a bonus 4th level spell slot, you should be able to cast Lesser Planar Ally at level 1. Would this combo work for level 2 entry into the Thaumaturgist PrC?

Juntao112
2014-01-14, 08:10 PM
You don't get bonus spells for spell levels you can't cast.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-01-14, 08:12 PM
So, I think I've noticed something hilarious about the way Cleric bonus spells and the Thaumaturgist PrC interact. Basically, the ability to cast Lesser Planar Ally is required to enter the PrC. However, since Clerics can prepare any spell from their list so long as they have the spell-slots for it, and having 18 Wis gives you a bonus 4th level spell slot, you should be able to cast Lesser Planar Ally at level 1. Would this combo work for level 2 entry into the Thaumaturgist PrC?

No as the bolded section is where your logic is flawed. You only get bonus spells if you actually have spell slots of that level. It is specifically called out in the Bard spells per day that they only get bonus spells when they have at least 0 Spells per Day at that level on the spells table.

sideswipe
2014-01-14, 08:12 PM
no it says in the abilities section of the players handbook that -

"The ability that governs bonus spells (see Chapter 3:
Classes) depends on what type of spellcaster your
character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics,
druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and
bards. In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster
must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of
a given spell level. (See the class descriptions in Chapter 3
for details.) For instance, the wizard Mialee has an Intelligence score of 15, so she’s smart enough to get one bonus 1st-
level spell and one bonus 2nd-level spell. (She will not actually get
the 2nd-level spell until she is 3rd level wizard, since that’s the minimum level a wizard must be to cast 2nd-level spells.)"

so you do not get the bonus spells until you are of the level you would normally obtain the spell slots for that level.

Ionbound
2014-01-14, 08:18 PM
Alright. I just misunderstood how it works. My bad.