PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Question [PF]

Macabros
2014-01-14, 10:26 PM
Ok so there is gonna be a vampire character but he needs a magical item that protects him from sunlight.

I know what spell to use but what would be the cost in PF
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra

Also does anyone know if there is a spell that makes you protected from water?

Macabros
2014-01-15, 01:13 PM
I was curious just how much a ring or amulet of Protective Penumbra would cost?
I know that to make it you need the item feats but my character is not a crafter but maybe he had one made for him?

Also I found this, scroll down to the penumbra section
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/rare-cantrips

How much would an infinite item of a Cantrip cost?

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 01:25 PM
Protective Penumbra is a second level spell, so requires a minimum caster level of three. It has a duration in 10 minutes per level, so the cost of a continuously active item is multiplied by 1.5.

2*3*2000gp*1.5 = 18,000 gp

Penumbra is a cantrip (counts as level .5), so requires a minimum caster level of one. It has a duration in 10 minutes per level, so the cost of a continuously active item is multiplied by 1.5.

.5*1*2000gp*1.5 = 1,500 gp

However, Penumbra would not negate a vampire's vulnerability to sunlight the way protective penumbra does.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 01:39 PM
The Vampire I am using is a Dread Vampire.
Sunlight Vulnerability (Ex)
A dread vampire hates the sun and takes 5 points of damage per round of direct exposure to sunlight. It does not benefit from its fast healing when exposed to sunlight.

So as long as they are out of sunlight they do not take the damage because it says Direct Exposure, the shadows makes it indirect.

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 01:51 PM
The Vampire I am using is a Dread Vampire.
Sunlight Vulnerability (Ex)
A dread vampire hates the sun and takes 5 points of damage per round of direct exposure to sunlight. It does not benefit from its fast healing when exposed to sunlight.

So as long as they are out of sunlight they do not take the damage because it says Direct Exposure, the shadows makes it indirect.

Regardless of how it's written, the cantrip is only supposed to protect against light blindness and light sensitivity, and is not intended to protect against everything that the second level spell protects against.

And it doesn't work by rules as written since, by rules as written, you can't actually get the spell. And also:

Note that penumbra was changed into the higher-level spell protective penumbra. The cantrip version is similar, but does not replace its higher-level counterpart.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 01:55 PM
My Argument was more that since the Vulnerability is different then normal vampires it may indeed work. Basically it says that if they are not in direct sunlight (I.E shadows) they do not take the damage for that round in the sun.

While I agree the Penumbra spell does not replace the higher level spell it didn't take into account the third party race of Dread Vampire.

This is from the normal vampire: Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight staggers it on the first round of exposure and destroys it utterly on the second consecutive round of exposure if it does not escape.

I already copied in the Dread Vampires Sunlight Weakness, I think we can agree they are vastly different even if they use the same name.

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 01:57 PM
So far, it looks like your best protection from Water might just be a ring of Water Walking, since it would prevent you from being immersed in running water.

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 02:04 PM
I already copied in the Dread Vampires Sunlight Weakness, I think we can agree they are vastly different even if they use the same name.

Your distinction was "Direct Sunlight." If that is your only point of contention, then your argument is flawed because both versions of Sunlight Weakness include the phrase "Direct Sunlight."

You'll notice that Protective Penumbra also says it provides protection to Wraiths, who have "Sunlight Powerlessness" and not "Vulnerability to Sunlight" and that's vastly different too.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 02:08 PM
Except that it is specifically noted on that direction and as far as I can tell all version of that ability appear the same.

I do agree its a weak argument but it is one that is not without some merit.

Also is there a way for a human to gain a swim speed?
See a Dread vampire whom has a Swim speed is immune to the water weakness.

But alright 18000 is a bit above WBL but as he is gonna be an NPC for awhile before becoming a DMPC I could work this since the character is a nobleman.

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 02:12 PM
There are tons of ways to gain swim speed.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 02:14 PM
Can you name a few that a nobleman in an outlaying town to get a hold of?

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 02:20 PM
Well, the easiest way seems to be Touch of the sea (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic/all-spells/t/touch-of-the-sea).

A Ring of that would cost 4000 gp.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 02:24 PM
Thanks very much.

Now I was curious. How can you make a Rope Trick permanent or at least very long lasting (Days)

I was thinking of this vampire having a wand of Rope Trick and using something to extend its duration (Maybe at the cost of charges) to hide his coffin.

Gazzien
2014-01-15, 02:25 PM
You can use the cantrip-version. The RAW is pointing out that they are both valid spells, because they have very similar names.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 02:28 PM
Are you sure I don't want to cheat the players if they want to try and examine the items if they choose to fight this character at some point.

Baroncognito
2014-01-15, 02:47 PM
You can use the cantrip-version. The RAW is pointing out that they are both valid spells, because they have very similar names.

No, the rules are saying "The cantrip does not do everything that the second level spell does."

Penumbra is a spell for Orc, Kobolds, and Drow. It allows them to run around during the day time without needing to spend 12,000 gp on Lenses of Darkness (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/lenses-of-darkness) the same way humans can use Light to run around in caves without needing to spend 12,000 gp on Goggles of Night (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-of-night).

It just talks about shadows so as to give a visual indicator that the caster has that spell active.

Macabros
2014-01-15, 02:50 PM
So what you are saying is that the 2nd level spell does the same. The flavor text means nothing then am I correct?