PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] E6 Duskblade Vampiric Touch

FinnDarkblade
2014-01-14, 11:08 PM
Is there any way to get Vampiric Touch and use it with Arcane Channeling for a Duskblade in E6? As little cheese as possible please.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-14, 11:36 PM
Get a custom Runestaff (MIC p224), easiest via Ancestral Relic (BoED), and put Vampiric Touch on it. Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD). You can spend two 2nd level spell slots to cast Vampiric Touch.

FinnDarkblade
2014-01-14, 11:44 PM
That wouldn't let you cast it through Arcane Channeling though would it?
*edit* I suppose I should specify that in the OP.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-15, 12:09 AM
That wouldn't let you cast it through Arcane Channeling though would it?
*edit* I suppose I should specify that in the OP.

No reason why you couldn't, the only thing different about how it's cast is what spell slots are spent on it.

FinnDarkblade
2014-01-15, 12:13 AM
PHII explicitly states that you can channel any touch spell you "know" through Arcane Channeling. You don't know spells you're casting through a Runestaff.

Fable Wright
2014-01-15, 01:40 AM
Is there any way to get Vampiric Touch and use it with Arcane Channeling for a Duskblade in E6? As little cheese as possible please.

Just take Versatile Spellcasting before 6th level. You are now capable of casting 3rd level spells much as if you had 3rd level spell slots. You take Vampiric Touch as a spell known. (This is possible through the odd way their spells known section is worded.)

But why Vampiric Touch, when you can take Extra Spell for Combust at a level lower? You're going to burn out of spell slots fast actually casting Vampiric Touch with 2nd level slots, and the defense is fairly minimal when you can have an Amulet of Tears and more than double the damage output with half the slots in Combust.

FinnDarkblade
2014-01-15, 01:53 AM
Just take Versatile Spellcasting before 6th level. You are now capable of casting 3rd level spells much as if you had 3rd level spell slots. You take Vampiric Touch as a spell known. (This is possible through the odd way their spells known section is worded.)

But why Vampiric Touch, when you can take Extra Spell for Combust at a level lower? You're going to burn out of spell slots fast actually casting Vampiric Touch with 2nd level slots, and the defense is fairly minimal when you can have an Amulet of Tears and more than double the damage output with half the slots in Combust.

Hmm, I'll ask my DM about that one. It might work. As for Combust, that is definitely a nice spell. Being a fire-based spell hurts it a bit though. Still, I do love that damage.